who will peep the Tron sequel?

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Star Wars/Battlestar Galactica/Buck Rogers/War Games/Krull era/quote]

SW: new sequels
    BG: remade
    BR: rumors of being remade into a new feature film
    WG: Too cold war-era to remake? (Then again, the whole "our machines will destroy us" was pretty much "Terminator" personified)
    K: just give it another year or two. I can already imagine the teaser posters: just an outline of the glaive.

• i have little interest in seeing this, a continuation of a movie that i saw in the movie theatres when it came out over 20 yrs ago hardly sounds like much of a continuation to me...if it was 10 yrs ago, i would maybe eat some mushrooms and go see it....

although i will say the graphics look intense, but not so much that i will see it just for the graphics...didnt even know there was a game coming out for it..

• faux_rillz said:
    I can't believe you dudes are acting like the original is some good movie or something

Ah, SoulStrut

Tron is iconic, but far from good.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    I'm not even sure it was the visuals that were the draw. To me, Tron's cult-status had much to do with how it was trying to capture the culture of video games and arcades at the time. Tron was either "visionary" or "exploitative" in regards to how it wanted to jump on that particular zeitgeist but I think one reason why the light cycle became so iconic is because the movie really tried to "put you in the game".

In that regard, it's no different than any number of fringe genre films where the actual films weren't very good but they've attained cult-like status for fitting into a particular moment in time and culture (think blaxploitation, for example).

It was also a supremely geeky (I mean this in a good way) film in terms of trying to figure out how a computer programmer's virtual world would look and behave. This was largely abandoned in the sequel (and wasn't replaced with anything more logical or cogent).

Yeah your right. Life IN a Video game = cool.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    batmon said:

If you were a kid during the Star Wars/Battlestar Galactica/Buck Rogers/War Games/Krull era, TRON was the shit.

Its cult sci-fi. Deal.

Film was okay. Visually appealing went on for too long. I love the product placement in the beggining PK Ripper and Ducati.

• Just saw jr in 3D IMAX. Visually? Pretty Ill. As a movie? Beyond garbation. Me and wfiey were openly guffawing at times.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    BIO-DIGITAL JAAZZ MAAAAN.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    prof_rockwell said:
    LokoOne said:
    I wonder what the video game will be like.... Any US heads played it yet ( I believe its been released over there already)

Haven't played it but the reviews have been as mixed as the movie. Cool multiplayer, cool storyline (it serves as the connection between the two movies), cool visuals, but overall gameplay is weak. My buddy has it and loves it, but he's an unabashed TRON fan and loved the new movie hands down as well.

I can't help but think to myself "I liked the TRON sequel back when it was called The Matrix"

I'll probably get the game if its easy to play so at least the kids can have a go on it.

• Reynaldo said:
    BIO-DIGITAL JAAZZ MAAAAN.

literal LOLs.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    mannybolone said:

In that regard, it's no different than any number of fringe genre films where the actual films weren't very good but they've attained cult-like status for fitting into a particular moment in time and culture (think blaxploitation, for example).

the mack is a good movie.
    tron2 : hot visulas, good music. everything else waaaaahck.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    batmon said:

If you were a kid during the Star Wars/Battlestar Galactica/Buck Rogers/War Games/Krull era, TRON was the shit.

uh, I was a kid back then, and while there was hype before the movie came out (like now) it ultimately was a flop and most kids I knew completely clowned on it for being lame and boring. Only the video game seemed to get any positive attention. Oh and the light cycles scene in the movie was OK.

• movie was poor.....nice visuals, horrendous laffable dialogue....weak story

• PrimeCutsLtd said:
    visually it was good. The Nicki Minaj scene, not so much.