Sir Otto Help - I don't want to screw this up..

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
So, thanks to Rane/Serato, I now have a TTM 57sl in the studio. Which is great but i have never technically owned serato or managed a database before.

I am going to start digitizing albums through the mixer into Scratch but am concerned i don't fully understand the file structure and naming system, and i don't want to start recording stuff in and screw up my file system from the jump.

So, here's the querstion:

When you record albums in to make a digital version of them, are you just recording them song by song and tagging them as you go or are you using third party software and then loading them into Serato later? I wouldn't be opposed to recording into PT9 and outputting a 320, then tagging in Serato. Is this the move? Or should i just say f it and go right in to Scratch? Would that create a file structure nightmare? So much to record, don't even know where to start and need to do whats going to ultimately be easiest.

I guess my two options are:
1) record into PT9 at 16/44 and output a 320. Then load file into Scratch and tag/analyize but keep the original non-compressed version on a backup harddrive for the future. (this would allow me to rough master everything but would take forever)
2) record straight in to Scratch live and let it do it's thing, putting the file wherever it does with whatever tags i give it.

or 3) another program for recording audio only (seems redundant)

Sorry for such a pedestrian question but i am new to all this (analog boy over here) and don't want to screw up my archives form the jump. How are yall doing it and are you happy with the workflow?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm pretty sure you have better converters than the Rane mixer, right? Unless you're in love with the way it sounds or something. Tagging is definitely time consuming but archiving even more so.

• I do, I have, well to start, Apogee 192, Burl is supposed to send me a demo and i am considering copping lavry golds.

I have know experience with the Rane ADC, I am fine with the phono pre but are people finding the AD stage lacking?

• It's funny, as i'm typing this i'm realizing i should probably just be recording into PT at high bit rates and then down converting from there... using the Analog a=output of the Rane into the Apogee at 24/48 at least

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Serato can also read lossless if you want to go higher q

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'd use the best pre/ad converter you have. Maybe an older mixer and that apogee?

If you can, I'd try to archive Aiffs of everything. The aiff format will save your tags. I would tag them in iTunes just cause it's easier.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    About to head out the door but my two cents:

use the nice converters. Tis why you have em.

As far as organization, there are three schools of thought:

1) use iTunes
    2) use hierarchical folders on your mac to organize crates.
    3) one folder with all your music assets, with the serato library sorting out all the organization.

You're in a different position than most people, since youre managing a lower volume of files but every one is crucial. Because of this, id personally go with some form Of #2 and focus less on the details of ID3 and tagging, which are very useful when managing 10,000 files, but not important in putting together specific sets and sequences for shows, routines, etc. It's also a natural workflow coming out of PT, and a system you know and don't have to learn. AND, if anything happens to the serato file, the organization is intact. Plus, it doesn't prevent you from transitioning to #3 later on.

I forget how to turn folders into crates automatically - back in 1.6 it meant running a script someone wrote out on the scratchlive forum, and I've been a lazy bum with 2.0 and haven't explored things as much as I should.