How Do You Handle This? (eBay Related)

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
it is happening more frequently lately. people bid on tons of things and then will email you saying "i won't have the money for a week or 2" seriously? why would you spend money you don't have?

when someone emails you asking if it is ok but has already placed tons of bids?? what is your response to them? I try to be cordial but what if I was selling in dire need of money?

Comments

• You gotta have it in your listing, "payment required in x amount of hours/days"

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I handle every situation different, depending on the buyer and every other factor involved. When I really do need the money right away and their time is up, I let them know they violated the agreement that they enter by placing the bid and I go straight to second chance offers. But be sure not to delete their bid because that will also affect the bids that said buyer out bid during the duration of that auction. I let people slide all the time but you do have to draw the line somewhere. When ever you do make an exception and work through a shitty situation with a buyer make sure that they are aware that you never usually do this and you will not do this again. Hope this is helpful, good luck!!

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    You gotta have it in your listing, "payment required in x amount of hours/days"

unfortunately the new format I am listing in I forgot to put that in there. regardless, in the past when I did have that I would still have that problem. people think just because you buy something on the internet you are not required to pay right away.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Risk it. If they're that little dude they probably aren't bidding to win anyway. Or block their id but don't cancel their bids, especially if the items they are bidding on aren't bid up to market value yet and their high bid (probably) won't be the winning one. Keep your prices up and suspicious activity to a minimum.

• I recently stopped doing business with a big spending client because he would win $1000s worth of merch and then wait upwards of a month to pay. I appreciated his business; I offered him the option of continuing to buy but observing the same rules that everyone else seemed to be able to do. He declined.

Just because you outbid everyone on every last item doesn't give you license to sit on the payment. You don't have the money, don't bid. Simple. These folks aren't worth as much as they think. There are always more bidders.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    My best customer on ebay originally asked if he can pay after winning 25 items to save money on shipping.

It's usually 60 days from the time he wins the first item until the time he pays.

He has told me many dealers won't allow him to do this.

I'll gladly take the money that the rest of these dealers refuse.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Yeah... I really don't care if it take people a couple weeks to pay. I think I would feel differently if selling records was my full time hustle, though.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I don't care really, but what I don't appreciate is a lack of communication about it.
    One asterisk in this whole discussion is some countries have many people who get paid MONTHLY, first of the month, which can be a serious PITA. Working with those folls can be work it tho.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    as a buyer, I have several sellers who will let me accumulate winnings before paying so I can save on postage, but I always ask if it's ok to do so & would never just do it without checking. It irks me when I'm selling & people leave me hanging for weeks with their payments & no real contact is made. Some people are unbelievably chaotic in their day to day lives though, as a fairly organized person I can't see how they can function.

• RAJ said:
    I think I would feel differently if selling records was my full time hustle, though.

Yeah in no way am I trying to wait 60 days to get paid. I'll send them all your way, Rich.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    My best customer on ebay originally asked if he can pay after winning 25 items to save money on shipping.

It's usually 60 days from the time he wins the first item until the time he pays.

This.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    spelunk said:
    Rockadelic said:

This.

Tortoise vs. rabbit?

or

A buck in the hand is worth two in the aether?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    The_Non said:
    I don't care really, but what I don't appreciate is a lack of communication about it.

YES. I always give the buyer the benefit of the doubt. I'll message them after 3 days, if they don't reply I'll message them again to let them know that a case will open the next day. If that don't get a reply I open the case and 9 times out of 10 they pay immediately.

The lack of communication is a real headache.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    spelunk said:
    Rockadelic said:

This.

Tortoise vs. rabbit?

or

A buck in the hand is worth two in the aether?

He's been doing it now for 2+ years so I know he's good for it.

He buys about 150 LP's a year from me.

By doing it this way and not paying and shipping them all immediately he's saving close to $1,500 in postage.

The way I see it that's $1,500 more that he'll spend with me.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    behemoth said:
    what if I was selling in dire need of money?
    I learned something: one shouldn't sell valuable stuff when in need of money

sell when you don't need the money

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    damms said:
    behemoth said:

desperation makes bad decisions.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    damms said:
    behemoth said:

Correction: desperation = bad decisions & REGRET

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Breez said:
    damms said:
    behemoth said:

exactly

• What sucks is you can't sit on shipping, a jackass can take a month to pay you but you still only have a week from recieving payment to get in the mail. If you are that casual with sending the money, then the seller should be able to take their sweet ass time in sending it.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    damms said:
    Breez said:
    damms said:
    behemoth said:

exactly

that was just a "what if?"

• time value of money, fellas.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    behemoth said:
    damms said:
    Breez said:
    damms said:
    behemoth said:

exactly

that was just a "what if?"
    I know
    I just wanted to share a lesson I learned with anybody who might read