Collection Buying Situation On My Hand

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
i looked at a collection last year. couldn't come to terms on a price. a year later we finally settled on one. i picked up all the records yesterday and paid the money. all the records were in paper bags wrapped in plastic to save space. let's just say i didn't rip them open and look through them again...

problem is some are missing. the kid (they were his grandfathers) reassured me that no one has touched the records and none were sold. which i believe because there was some heavy stuff in there still indicating that a buyer hadn't cherry picked. no buyer in their right mind would leave behind what was left in there...plus the grandmother was very anal about "all or nothing".

BUT! there are still a few things missing that i recall from when i initially purchased it. leading me to believe there are more records in the house.

now a deal is a deal right? but the deal was for ALL THE LP'S!!! ALL OF THEM!

calls are being placed with no answer. i can't see them trying to scheme me because i have their numbers, names and i know where they live.

next step from here would be to go to their house again?? i mean they aren't obligated to let me into their house. either they are in there or they aren't. i believe that they believe all the records are accounted for yet i know they aren't.

i should probably either get some money back or make them find the records. i can't see how they would be misplaced.

not trying to lose out on the deal. but what can i do at this point if they just deny? a verbal contract is what it is...?

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Go back to the house with your muscle.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    get back in touch with them and be polite...they have all the power now...besides, benefit of the doubt and all it was probably an honest mistake

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    You, my friend, are fucked. Trust but verify. Next time.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    I feel like they think they're all accounted for. but in all reality if they aren't gonna check I can't just bust up in their place looking myself....

the pieces aren't even rare. but they were in there. meaning there are most likely 2-3 more bundles which can mean a difference between 3-600 dollars.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    You could tell them that the records are missing and deman a refund of a fair value, but it sounds like you don't have much leverage. Know your Statute of Frauds. Contract for a sale of goods in excess of $500 must be in writing.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    You, my friend, are fucked. Trust but verify. Next time.quote]

What he said...minus Ronnie Raygun

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    ask your homie Bullet Tooth to pay them a visit

check on craigslist for cheap used horse heads

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    behemoth said:
    i should probably either get some money back or make them find the records. i can't see how they would be misplaced.

you have no recourse here. you are SOL.

best bet is to contact the grandmother or whoever is in charge and kill them with kindness. tell em that YOU made a mistake and didn't pick up all the records. incentivize them by telling them that in all fairness the bundles that were misplaced in some closet were part of the collection you bought but you have $100 for their time and trouble to find them.

• Never overestimate the knowledge of someone that's quick picking some records from your stash. Just because they left some rare records in there doesn't mean they didn't think to grab some stuff at the last second to make a little extra change on the side. Their ideas of record value may be misinformed or just totally from their own private mind garden.

I've had this happen on a couple of occasions, and only ONCE was it something that actually mattered (in one case, someone nabbed the copies of "Thriller" and "Off The Wall", oh noes! In another case a guy snapped back some kind of Beatles deluxe reissue that he insisted was worth hundreds, but I seriously did not care about; both of those times I had run to the ATM and not double checked the boxes once I returned). In the one significant case 4 or 5 12"s went missing out of a big disco collection which were indeed some of the most valuable ones.

In that last case, I think the guy definitely thought I was not going to notice. I called him out and he played dumb. When push came to shove he admitted he had them and subsequently mailed them to me.

Most recently, although this doesn't involve missing records, I bought records that had been "pre-priced" by someone with "knowledge of the prices" and some of the mistakes were just hilarious. $100 records in the $5 pile, $60 records in the $10 pile, $15 records in the $40 pile. in addition to stuff that shouldn't have been on the radar at all but magically made it into piles that were commensurate with their popsike value. All of which is to say, most of these folks do not know what they're doing but a little human greed is hard to resist, especially if you busted them down from a higher price.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Never overestimate the knowledge of someone that's quick picking some records from your stash. Just because they left some rare records in there doesn't mean they didn't think to grab some stuff at the last second to make a little extra change on the side. Their ideas of record value may be misinformed or just totally from their own private mind garden.

I've had this happen on a couple of occasions, and only ONCE was it something that actually mattered (in one case, someone nabbed the copies of "Thriller" and "Off The Wall", oh noes! In another case a guy snapped back some kind of Beatles deluxe reissue that he insisted was worth hundreds, but I seriously did not care about; both of those times I had run to the ATM and not double checked the boxes once I returned). In the one significant case 4 or 5 12"s went missing out of a big disco collection which were indeed some of the most valuable ones.

In that last case, I think the guy definitely thought I was not going to notice. I called him out and he played dumb. When push came to shove he admitted he had them and subsequently mailed them to me.

Most recently, although this doesn't involve missing records, I bought records that had been "pre-priced" by someone with "knowledge of the prices" and some of the mistakes were just hilarious. $100 records in the $5 pile, $60 records in the $10 pile, $15 records in the $40 pile. in addition to stuff that shouldn't have been on the radar at all but magically made it into piles that were commensurate with their popsike value. All of which is to say, most of these folks do not know what they're doing but a little human greed is hard to resist, especially if you busted them down from a higher price.

i am positive this kid knows nothing or even how to research records. he isn't the smartest person in the world(think Sling Blade) and the collection was passed down and was sitting ever since. he actually called me back after i left a kind yet a little heated message. he says he swears they were never touched by anybody and he will look for another bundle or 2 which he says he easily could of missed. the grandmother is way too old to even pick records up. i think it is more of a case that these people are pack rats living in filth and clutter and just don't know they neglected to include a bundle or 2. i told him i would call him tonight and he said he believes me that a few things might be missing but honestly doesn't know where they could be.

as far as trying to be slick. what they might of thought were the good and valuable records were in there such as all Beatles and Dylan and Doors stuff so i think it is safe to say they just forgot a box or 2. i will update.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I hate shit like this. I say confront him on it and if he denies it, WHOOP HIS ASS while his granny watches.