DO with this info as you will

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I, for one, laughed my ass off.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8027301/Segway-company-owner-dies-riding-two-wheeled-machine-off-cliff.html

Segway company owner dies riding two-wheeled machine off cliff

Jimi Heselden, the owner of the Segway company, has died after riding one of the two-wheeled machines off a cliff and into a river.

Published: 10:37AM BST 27 Sep 2010

A passer-by found Heselden alongside his Segway in the Boston Spa area at about 11.40am on Sunday.

A spokesman for West Yorkshire Police said today: "Police were called at 11.40am yesterday to reports of a man in the River Wharfe, apparently having fallen from the cliffs above.

"A Segway-style vehicle was recovered. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

"At this time we do not believe the death to be suspicious."

Heselden was worth ??166m and ranked 395th on the Sunday Times Rich List.

The former miner made his millions from defence contracts. He created a unique portable wire cage water containment system which when filled with earth and sand proved a major defence against bullets, missiles and suicide attacks.

His founded his first company HESCO Bastions with his redundancy pay when he was laid off from the mines.

The wire cage systems developed by Bastions have become standard military equipment for Nato as well as American and British forces.

The Segway operation was acquired by a UK based company backed by Heselden.

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I was told off by my wife for belly laughing when we heard this on the radio today.

Brilliant.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    And he looked like a dork doing it too.

I live in a part of Amsterdam where they do Segway tours. On any given day 20 nerds will roll by wearing helmets wobbling to and fro as my two sons laugh and point from their skateboards in the bike lane.

Segways are so fuckin stupid.

But you can use them to go from the bedroom to the bathroom.

• "James Heselden died Sunday morning in a Segway-related mishap -- just before the scheduled release of a study suggesting injuries related to the vehicles may be on the rise"

His ass was trying to determine if injuries were on the rise!!! LOL

• You guys are some evil bastards. It's not like dude ran an arms business or some harmful shit like that.

Herm said:
    You guys are some evil bastards. It's not like dude ran an arms business or some harmful shit like that.

Leave it to Herm.

• I think you can laugh at this without disrespecting the guy.

Segways are kind of awesome. I'm jealous of people who work in big factories and stuff and get to drive them. Though that can't beat a friend of mine who was a chemical engineer at some enormous plastics factory in BFE, and she got to ride around on a giant tricycle. She said it was the only part of the job she liked.

brokenrecord said:

Segways are kind of awesome.

BAN

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I found it hilarious, tragic but in an ironic and funny way.

I dont know about segways, good idea but they looked like shit and the ppl that ride them look worse.

They should have got Xzibit to do a Pimp My Segway show...then we might have seen some progress.

Will anyone ride these shits now?

Herm said:
    You guys are some evil bastards. It's not like dude ran an arms business or some harmful shit like that.

BTW...this

"The former miner made his millions from defence contracts."

• Options
    4YearGraduate said:

Jimi Heselden

'Scuse me while I kiss the ground.

• LokoOne said:
    Herm said:

BTW...this

He didn't make arms:

"Heselden made his fortune through his firm Hesco Bastion Ltd., which developed the "Hesco" blast wall system that replaced the sand bags used to protect troops in Afghanistan and Iraq."

This technology has also been used in flood and erosion control.

Horseleech said:
    LokoOne said:
    Herm said:

BTW...this

He didn't make arms:

"Heselden made his fortune through his firm Hesco Bastion Ltd., which developed the "Hesco" blast wall system that replaced the sand bags used to protect troops in Afghanistan and Iraq."

This technology has also been used in flood and erosion control.

He still made money from wars. And I just bought it up cus that comment stuck out after reading the article...

BTW- Can you imagine having to ride a segway to a gig with your crates? Do Segways come with a trailer option? What happens if you ride your Segway to a gig and then get lucky...where does the lady sit/stand? We will never know now that dear old Jimmy is gone....

• LokoOne said:
    What happens if you ride your Segway to a gig and then get lucky...where does the lady sit/stand? We will never know now that dear old Jimmy is gone....

She sits right by your side! Or you by hers - after her gig:

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    HAH!

• brokenrecord said:
    LokoOne said:
    What happens if you ride your Segway to a gig and then get lucky...where does the lady sit/stand? We will never know now that dear old Jimmy is gone....

She sits right by your side! Or you by hers - after her gig:

On one hand this thing is awesome, on the other it's way too complicated and expensive for what it's doing.

A thousand years from now this will be looked at as the beginning of our devolution into limbless brain-larvae.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    What if they've got to commute three whole blocks? Who's laughing now, thin man?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    By the way: it looks like he wasn't that good of a pilot, either. Look where that plane ended up.

luck said:
    By the way: it looks like he wasn't that good of a pilot, either. Look where that plane ended up.

The dude definitely did not "Know The Ledge"

• While I find it kind of tacky to trample all over a dude who just died, there is some amazing irony in the whole thing.

I found the original thread, but most of the images are gone, so here is a repost of Adventures of Segueway Mom.
    A photo collection inspired by this original, undoctored image.