Hating on the South-related

2»

Comments

• PelvicDust said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    This person, in their little whiny ass tantrum goes from the civil war to TVA to gay marriage and tries to instill some sort of reasoning that they have the moral high ground because he/she lives in the northeast. He judges AN ENTIRE GEOGRAPHIC REGION, a region that gave the world jazz, soul, rock n roll, and some of the greatest American literature, cuisine, in short, culture because of the civil war, TVA, and an anti-gay marriage sentiment stemming from some churches. Now you bring up the fucking confederate flag like EVERYONE in the south is flying the motherfucker...all with some bullshit intellectual slant about "if you cant recognize the cultrual differences blah blah blah" There are fucked up people on both sides of the Mason Dixon. No side has some sort of monopoly on shitty policy nor a monoply on refinement. Like I stated earlier it is out in the open in the south, but it is there in the north, in the militias, in city councils, everywhere...yeah a lot of northerners dont put it on a bumper sticker, but it is there.
    line...we both know this.

Of course we both know this.

I just think it's funny that Southerners can't seem to see the humor in this piece, and think the guy is totally serious. He's responding to all of that "Real America" crap and I think it's very funny. That he also does it with a strong factual basis and points out some very real, peculiarly red-state hypocrisy is a bonus that makes it all work.

A Southerner could write a similar piece about the North and you wouldn't see Northerners all honked off about it in a forum like this, because Northerners don't usually give enough of a shit to get pissed over a comedy piece.

David Cross grew up in Georgia and some of his material on the South makes this rant look like a puff piece.

i said it was funny...first thing I said.

• Options
    The_Hook_Up said:

Then you thought about it and started getting pissed about invisible accusations of racism.

So what did you think was funny about it?

• PelvicDust said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Then you thought about it and started getting pissed about invisible accusations of racism.

So what did you think was funny about it?

it was funny how asshurt he was about the south and how proud he was of the north.

If you cant read in between the lines in that "piece" then, whatever. I would mention again his mentioning the civil war, but then you would say some dumb shit about a flag some rednecks fly then we would be back to where we have already been. Just be glad you dont have to live in the awful, shitty south and I will be glad I dont have to live in the boring-ass north and lets leave it at that...

• Options
    willie_fugal said:
    i stopped reading after seeing that his initial promise was already mistaken:

Cause we fucking founded this country, assholes. Those Founding Fathers you keep going on and on about? All that bullshit about what you think they meant by the Second Amendment giving you the right to keep your assault weapons in the glove compartment because you didn't bother to read the first half of the fucking sentence? Who do you think those wig-wearing lacy-shirt sporting revolutionaries were? They were fucking blue-staters, dickhead. Boston? Philadelphia? New York? Hello? Think there might be a reason all the fucking monuments are up here in our backyard?

half of the primary document writers (Madison, Jefferson, Washington anyone?) were from Virginia.

No.

" On June 11, 1776, Congress appointed a "Committee of Five", consisting of John Adams of Massachusetts, Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania, Thomas Jefferson of Virginia, Robert R. Livingston of New York, and Roger Sherman of Connecticut, to draft a declaration."

"Twelve of the thirteen states sent delegates to the Constitutional Convention to revise the Articles of Confederation and the entire convention worked on it. After the political questions were hashed out a 'committee of style' was formed to put the ideas into formal words. It is generally accepted that Gouverneur Morris created most of the actual wording included in the final draft from the Committee of Style."

And yeah, this is wiki shit, but it's accurate.

Washington wasn't involved in the writing of either document as far as I can recall.

• Options
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I would mention again his mentioning the civil war, but then you would say some dumb shit about a flag some rednecks fly on their state capital buildings

Fixed. Let's not pretend that rancid flag is some sort of random and rare occurrence.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I like the fact that this person keeps talking about Massachusetts...yeah buddy, there are NO racist people in Boston...I have never heard of any racial conflicts from that city.

haha yeah, as a native Bostonian, I always have to laugh at people who tout this region as "enlightened on race" or whatever. I grew up in Quincy, MA, birthplace of 2 US presidents, and almost every single kid I went to school with was not only racist, but obsessed with being racist, like it was the most important thing in their lives to hate on anyone who wasn't white.

• PelvicDust said:
    willie_fugal said:
    i stopped reading after seeing that his initial promise was already mistaken:

Cause we fucking founded this country, assholes. Those Founding Fathers you keep going on and on about? All that bullshit about what you think they meant by the Second Amendment giving you the right to keep your assault weapons in the glove compartment because you didn't bother to read the first half of the fucking sentence? Who do you think those wig-wearing lacy-shirt sporting revolutionaries were? They were fucking blue-staters, dickhead. Boston? Philadelphia? New York? Hello? Think there might be a reason all the fucking monuments are up here in our backyard?

half of the primary document writers (Madison, Jefferson, Washington anyone?) were from Virginia.

No.

" On June 11, 1776, Congress appointed a "Committee of Five", consisting of John Adams of Massachusetts, Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania, Thomas Jefferson of Virginia, Robert R. Livingston of New York, and Roger Sherman of Connecticut, to draft a declaration."

"Twelve of the thirteen states sent delegates to the Constitutional Convention to revise the Articles of Confederation and the entire convention worked on it. After the political questions were hashed out a 'committee of style' was formed to put the ideas into formal words. It is generally accepted that Gouverneur Morris created most of the actual wording included in the final draft from the Committee of Style."

And yeah, this is wiki shit, but it's accurate.

Washington wasn't involved in the writing of either document as far as I can recall.

I concede.

• I missed your quip about colleges, I would quote it but you can't scroll in the quote window on the iPhone....what a pissant, bullshit thing to say mentioning 3 fucking states. I could do the same, let's talk about the stellar institutions of say Iowa, North Dakota and Delaware...see, your little selective game is easy to play. Funny how you left out Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Loiusiana...why did you do that?
    Ok, I'm going to bed now.

• Options
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I missed your quip about colleges, I would quote it but you can't scroll in the quote window on the iPhone....what a pissant, bullshit thing to say mentioning 3 fucking states. I could do the same, let's talk about the stellar institutions of say Iowa, North Dakota and Delaware...see, your little selective game is easy to play. Funny how you left out Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Loiusiana...why did you do that?
    Ok, I'm going to bed now.

And you think the ranter is asshurt?

• You obviously don't know the meaning of asshurt...you're just being pissy because no one is recognizing your brilliant intellectual reasoning on why the south sucks and the north is superior. You are so full of shit. I am going to work now...have fun being northern today. I am officially done with this thread. Maybe you can annoy some other folks with your master of the obvious insight and discourse.

• PelvicDust said:

One of the first acts the Philadelphia constitutional convention did when they had a quorum of delegates was to elect Washington as the presiding officer of the convention.