You dudes don't care about the Chilean miners?

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
25 by 25 living space? 33 naked miner dudes in 30+ degrees of heat?
Only a couple of Coke can-sized bore holes to pass the necessities of life through?
Not out til near Christmas?

That's a grim situation right there.

Sayin'.

Comments

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    skel said:
    25 by 25 living space? 33 naked miner dudes in 30+ degrees of heat?
    Only a couple of Coke can-sized bore holes to pass the necessities of life through?
    Not out til near Christmas?

Sayin'.

I hope they all suffocate to death. Of course people care. The thing that's most reassuring is that their fate is now inextricably tied to that of the Chilean president himself. In the media age you can't get a more cast iron gurantee than that.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    skel said:

Their positive outlook, graciousness and patriotism is beautiful and inspiring. I'm really hoping their spirits remain strong and that this all plays out for the best.

• i think this will end very bad..and in a way nobody predicted

• Options
    Here is a pretty fascinating article on the psychological ordeal that is the miner's situation:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2014018,00.html

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I can't even talk about these dudes without freaking out. Terrifying. I can think of nothing scarier.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    I can't even talk about these dudes without freaking out. Terrifying. I can think of nothing scarier.

pretty much. goosebumps shit, absolutly horrific.

this is gonna end bad.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

this is gonna end bad.

lets think positive.

i feel for these people and their families, so terrible.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    cookbook said:
    nzshadow said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

this is gonna end bad.

lets think positive.

i feel for these people and their families, so terrible.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Options
    Just a total nightmare. I'd go nuts.

• Their will to survive and the faith they have in making it out should be compelling enough for an even greater effort to be made for their rescue. It is a grim situation, but I find it also to be an inspiring one. It goes to show that there is nothing stronger than the human spirit.

• Digger_Phelps_II said:
    ..and in a way nobody predicted

???

Seriously though, I hope these dudes make it. I'm claustraphobic and find the very thought horrifying.

• I think they'll make it, and I'm pretty confident in that.

There is NO end to the resources that will be put down that hole with all the world watching.

That said, it has been reported that anti-depressants are being sent down. If that were me, I'd say give me valium for the next 3 months, and I'll be straight

/knockmyassout,makemefeeldopey

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I hope they get time and half for this.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    CousinLarry said:

this is what worries me most, what happens to these individuals once they get out?

"see you on monday!"

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    You dudes don't care about the floods in Pakistan?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    cookbook said:
    CousinLarry said:

this is what worries me most, what happens to these individuals once they get out?

"see you on monday!"

"We dug a hole big enough to send down some picks and shovels. Think you could do a little work while your down there."

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    My girls and her family is from Chile so we have been following this a fair bit. I'd personally lose the plot and try to dig out with my own hands, but cus theres a team there they should be able to keep each other sane enough.

The good thing is that a judge has frozen 20 million from themining company to ensure there is money to properly compensate the miners when they get out. Im certain they will get out, cus if they dont then the whole Chilean copper industry will have to deal with the repercusions in regards to lax safety etc.

The main issue for these dudes is that they dont get any respiratory illness or infections while down there, cus that could kill them in the long run. They have enough shit to keep themselves enteratined aparenlty with games consoles, mp3 players, cards and videos of futbol games. If they can make the hole big enough to send down a soccer ball they should be sweet for the next few months.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I think about these miners every time they're mentioned. I imagine myself in their situation, and my blood runs cold. Then I go to my happy place, it's all okay again.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:

I thought about starting a thread awhile ago before this Chilean miner tragedy, but I didn't wanna stir the pot bein like AYE YOOOOOOO!
    Meanwhile, NOLA is still rebuilding and devastated by the Gulf oil spill, Haiti is still wrecked up, people are in desperate situations flooded outta their small rural homes in Pakistan, and these Chilean miners are in serious trouble. I don't even wanna list the concerns regarding these miners stuck in there, because your hopes of them getting out alive in that timetable would plummet.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

I thought about starting a thread awhile ago before this Chilean miner tragedy, but I didn't wanna stir the pot bein like AYE YOOOOOOO!
    Meanwhile, NOLA is still rebuilding and devastated by the Gulf oil spill, Haiti is still wrecked up, people are in desperate situations flooded outta their small rural homes in Pakistan, and these Chilean miners are in serious trouble. I don't even wanna list the concerns regarding these miners stuck in there, because your hopes of them getting out alive in that timetable would plummet.

Yeah, its seriously fucked how the floods in Pakistan are hardly getting news coverage but trapped miners in Chile are in the spotlight. And I'm not trying to be insensitive, its a tragedy in Chile, and I'm not trying to say one is grander in scale than the other. But Pakistan is totally under the radar. We have drives for Katrina and Haiti understandably, but Pakistan doesn't even get a thread. It just makes me think. I would say Pakistan is just as poor as Haiti too, and the floods are affecting just as many if not more people.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Not for nothing but they're bringing these guys out alive and in one piece one by one as we speak. Jaw-dropping live footage...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    First dude is up and out. This shit is unbelievable.

• Options
    I'd like to be there to see this.

This footage has me in tears.

Didn't somebody say this wasn't gonna turn out good? I remember being saddened by the pessimism.

You see the dude who brought rocks from the mine and handed 'em out as thank-you gifts to the rescue workers?? Wooooooow.

• Herm said:
    This footage has me in tears.

Indeed. The repetitious commentary and wild speculation from our local presenters bought me back to earth with the quickness.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    10 out so far, absolutly amazing.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    10 out so far, absolutly amazing.

I've been watching it all morning. This is an amazing thing. I know their families are thankful as hell.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts