american apparel financial problems

2»

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    fat, black & proud eh?

bully for you batmon!

That description fits me infinitely better than Batmon, he's a rail. But hey, I'm back in the gym so I'm shedding the pounds (and inches) like a mofo.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Soulhawk said:
    fat, black & proud eh?

bully for you batmon!

That description fits me infinitely better than Batmon, he's a rail. But hey, I'm back in the gym so I'm shedding the pounds (and inches) like a mofo.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey,

:get_on_my_level:

Big Bats from Crack-a Lax

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    Herm said:
    They're chinos

SOY CHINO

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    batmon said:
    Herm said:
    batmon said:
    Herm said:
    batmon said:
    What are the "Better" options for a t-shirt?

Toilet paper thin Hanes and Fruit of The Loom?

Stafford heavy duty from JCPenney's.

So Stafford is cut the same as AA?

b/w

Where is JCPenny's

Hmmm...I guess they're just out west. I just assumed they were everywhere.

Im just messin with ya. I know JCPenny's........

But seriously is the Stafford cut the same as AA?

Staffords are thick cotton, but suck on a hot day. Keep their shape over time though.
    Just make sure to get deeodurant that is has no-Aluminum in it.

50/50 material is great because it retains its true size, but people can't get with the poly feel. I like it.

• there goes the end of viva radio

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    edub said:
    I can not stand their store layouts... I avoid setting foot in that store because of that.

I have never set foot in an American Apparel store. They are everywhere in Toronto but I just have not done it.. again I don't really give a fuck about being trendy with my shopping habits and buying clothes is like pulling teeth for me so that could have something to do with it.

catalist said:
    edub said:
    I can not stand their store layouts... I avoid setting foot in that store because of that.

I have never set foot in an American Apparel store. They are everywhere in Toronto but I just have not done it.. again I don't really give a fuck about being trendy with my shopping habits and buying clothes is like pulling teeth for me so that could have something to do with it.

no style

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    batmon said:

no style

That store has NOTHING for me.

Herm said:
    batmon said:

no style

• Options
    Funny thread, y'all.

I find more than enough clothes in free piles. I'm proud to wear something that someone else has worn before. Right now I am wearing a grey sweat shirt that a friend gave back too me when she moved, a purple Amoeba Hollywood t-shirt i found at goodwill in Dixon, Ca, discotheque hall-of-fame Dj Callidac Phil's old mossimo's (that I think he got at target), and some black Levi 501's that my stepmom picked up for me at the outlet malls in Northen Ohio. I also have a bracelet on that is purple and says, "dream for a cure." I got it at an information booth at the farmers market.

Based on that, I'd say, "goodnight Irene" to American Apparel...sorry.

But on the flip, yesterday some nice lady gave me $6 for a biking jacket that I pulled out of a free pile the week before, along with a MarKeys 45 on Satellite in VG, and I had the jacket priced for only $1. Some people just act randomly it seems like to me.

Why give American Apparel your business anyway? Are their items made with a story?

lilmonstu said:
    Funny thread, y'all.

I find more than enough clothes in free piles. I'm proud to wear something that someone else has worn before. Right now I am wearing a grey sweat shirt that a friend gave back too me when she moved, a purple Amoeba Hollywood t-shirt i found at goodwill in Dixon, Ca, discotheque hall-of-fame Dj Callidac Phil's old mossimo's (that I think he got at target), and some black Levi 501's that my stepmom picked up for me at the outlet malls in Northen Ohio. I also have a bracelet on that is purple and says, "dream for a cure." I got it at an information booth at the farmers market.

Thrift Store/Rummage Sales = Hipster x 20

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:

Because, of course, there were no thrift stores or rummage sales until hipsters invented them.

Horseleech said:
    batmon said:

Because, of course, there were no thrift stores or rummage sales until hipsters invented them.

u sound guilty w/ the used Iron Maiden Eddie T-shirt

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    lilmonstu said:
    Why give American Apparel your business anyway? Are their items made with a story?

Why spend money on meat when you can just buy Spam? Why get a more expensive car when you can get a Yugo used for cheap? Why get a mint copy of a record when you could just get the wrecked copy for $0.50? Why spend more money on anything...is that seriously your question?

• Options
    dwyhajlo said:
    lilmonstu said:

Why spend money on meat when you can just buy Spam? Why get a more expensive car when you can get a Yugo used for cheap? Why get a mint copy of a record when you could just get the wrecked copy for $0.50? Why spend more money on anything...is that seriously your question?

You sound like you support the further manufacturing of garbage. Is that what you do? If so, I got a near mint copy of Tony Yayo - Drama Setter of G-Unit ft. Eminem and Obie Trice from the album 'Thoughts Of A Predicted Felon' I will sell you for $5...free shipping.... For a limited time only.

• Options
    ...and I apologize for being so harsh, I'm just playin' strut games...

That is my equivalent to Wolverine's bezerker style.

I call it the lilmonstu terrordactyl swoop!

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    batmon said:

Alstyle and Kirklands

• I know this thread turned towards discussions about athletic wear but i heard American Apparel is getting bought out by some larger company that's on par with an american eagle or something like that. It's gonna stay AA, so don't get your hopes up that pasty white hipsters will disappear for a few months of mourning whilst hiding in their dimly lit rooms listening to (smog) or Bon Iver or Stephen Merritt on repeat.

and jsut to clarify no hate against any of those bands they were just the first that came to mind when i wanted to conjure up depression.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    batmon said:

Alstyle and Kirklands

I've been using the new Gildans and they have a good fit and seem durable (six months so far).

They're also like half the price of AA.

AA colors are almost all ugly and their stores make my eyes hurt.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    batmon said:
    Herm said:
    batmon said:

no style

Herm said:
    batmon said:
    Herm said:
    batmon said:

no style

:dodododo:

• Thrifting ftw! But, I do realize finding crisp, well fitting white t's for men would be a challenge at a thrift store. I think you almost have to buy new.

And I agree with Bassie - you get what you pay for. A good, well made t-shirt probably should cost near $40. And maybe if people paid more, they'd take better care of their clothes - not treat them so disposably.

My 90 year old grandma raised 8 kids before the era of 'fast fashion', and she's a master at repairing, cleaning and preserving clothing.

I have friends who don't even know how to fix a seam rip, or a dangling hem. Or how to soak out a stain. They just throw the shit out. And why not? It only costs $4.99 for a new one.

Blah, blah, blah - is there an 'annoying preachy person' smiley I can insert? lol

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    brokenrecord said:

how to soak out a stain.

plaese to explain how to destain.

• catalist said:
    brokenrecord said:

how to soak out a stain.

plaese to explain how to destain.

Well, I'm part of the newer, helpless generations that people like my grandparents shake their heads at. Me and my 50-something uncles bring stained things to Grandma's house for help. She has an arsenal.

I do know destaining involves a bit of science. Like, what is the stain? Protein, fat, other? A combination thereof? What kind of fabric - protein, cellulose, synthetic? A combination thereof? Was water used to try to clean it? How long has the stain been there?

You see, this is a craft. A wealth of knowledge passed on by the generations that has been lost.

I do know my Grandma sometimes uses washing soda? Some kind of, um, salt? That boosts detergents and improves stain removal. She uses soda water and vinegars and borax and scrub brushes. Bon Ami and Barkeeps Friend....And sometimes employs the big guns - the petrochemical cleaners for spot cleaning. Remember Didi7? And Fels Naptha? In general I'm not a big fan of dry cleaning b/c the chemicals are so nasty. But for the occasional spot stain removal those chemicals can work wonders.

Also - water is the greatest solvent. Repeated washing has removed stubborn stains for me. Just throwing something (beloved and stained) into the laundry over and over, until, after like the fifth laundering, poof, it's gone....

I really don't know a lot about stain removal. Anyone else? I do know that lots of stains can be removed though. Oh - I also rarely use hot water wash, or a dryer. I think heat really sets stains. And wears your clothes out really fast. My 2 cents....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Whether it's due to a desperate attempt in the face of money problems or due to an hot injection of mall store dough, giant bus and billboard ads for AA have popped up here in Toronto in the past six or so months.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    A great t-shirt does have to cost you an arm and a leg. If your spending $40 on a t-shirt, you must be ignorant.
    AA does not make the best t-shirt, but they make a good one, especially their organic cotton one.

Patagonia makes a great long lasting t-shirt, so does Prana. Yes they are $20 plus t-shirts, dipping close to $30

Some of my favorite t-shirts were built decades ago, and still holding on strong. Its the manufacturer not a designer. Good affordable t-shirts are hard to come by now, inferior machines making inferior products does not help.

• From the LA Times:
    American Apparel's shares plummet 21% as doubts rise about its future
    The stock of the trendy Los Angeles clothing maker and retailer falls to an all-time low of 81 cents as it scrambles to overhaul operations, boost sales and repair its faltering image.
    Spencer Platt, Getty ImagesA day after American Apparel Inc. admitted that its future hangs by a thread, the hipster Los Angeles clothing maker and retailer was scrambling to overhaul operations, bolster sales and repair its faltering image.
    After warning this week that there was "substantial doubt that the company will be able to continue as a going concern," the company saw its stock fall 21.3% on Wednesday, ending at an all-time low of 81 cents. That was on the heels of a 26% plunge the day before.
    American Apparel (APP)Kaplan Fox Investigates Possible Securities Fraud at American Appare www.kaplanfox.com
    In recent months, the troubled company has been beset by sales declines, losses, a crackdown on undocumented workers, problems with its debt, delayed quarterly filings and, most recently, an investigation by the U.S. attorney's office in New York related to the company's abrupt change in accounting firms.
    Industry experts say the company's problems are so severe that nothing short of a major overhaul in its business practices and management, which could include a possible bankruptcy filing, can pull it out of its free fall.
    And there were doubts about the future for founder Dov Charney, the company's colorful chief executive from Canada who built American Apparel into a retail powerhouse with 10,000 employees. He also has a reputation as an outlandish personality, going so far as to appear at work in his underwear.
    As the company has floundered, analysts and investors have grown increasingly concerned about Charney's business savvy and his ability to deal with the company's numerous challenges.
    American Apparel is operating like "a madhouse," said Howard Davidowitz, chairman of national retail consulting and investment banking firm Davidowitz & Associates Inc.
    "No one's going to leave him in control ??? that's over with," he said. "I think it's impossible to get anybody who's going to bet on him again."
    When reached by phone Wednesday, Charney declined to comment, referring calls to his lawyer, Peter Schey, who said there were no plans for Charney to vacate his position or leave the company.
    "Neither the board nor management believes that there would be any benefit to Dov stepping aside as the CEO," Schey said. "Dov knows this business top to bottom. He understands its intricacies, its complexities and what needs to be done to get over the bumps in the road and move forward into long-term profitability."
    Still, Schey acknowledged that Charney "understands and appreciates the need to recruit additional experienced managers" and was looking into other ways to turn the company's fortunes around.
    Some options include closing a few underperforming stores, although Schey said there were no plans to shut large numbers of locations because doing so would not significantly help the company's cash flow. American Apparel operates more than 280 retail stores in 20 countries.
    Instead, the company is looking into reducing manufacturing costs, increasing the speed and efficiency with which its products are brought to market and improving the appearance of stores. It's also working on diversifying its longtime lineup of colorful basics by expanding to preppier, more sophisticated styles, Schey said.
    American Apparel (APP)Kaplan Fox Investigates Possible Securities Fraud at American Appare www.kaplanfox.com
    One American Apparel executive, who was not authorized to speak publicly, said management believes the company can recover.
    "The company's having some financial troubles and all that, but the demand for the brand is still there," the executive said. "It doesn't affect the day-to-day operations."
    One investor who appears to be betting on the company is Los Angeles billionaire Ron Burkle, who recently took a 6% stake in American Apparel. Burkle did not return calls for comment.
    But with its business in jeopardy, the company may need to take more drastic measures ??? including letting go of its longtime Made-in-USA stance, said Nikoleta Panteva, apparel analyst with IBISWorld in Santa Monica.
    She said American Apparel should consider outsourcing some of its manufacturing to countries such as China and Vietnam, which would be less costly and could help the company pay off some of its loans.
    "If they can't let go of these ideals or shift them somehow, then they're in a lot of trouble for a while," she said. "It seems like their business model isn't really fitting in overall with the industry trends. They really need to evaluate their entire strategy."
    Still, Schey insisted that the company's problems have been overblown, repeatedly saying the abrupt resignation of its independent auditing firm, Deloitte & Touche, last month "created a lot of smoke when there's no fire."
    He said American Apparel was cooperating with the U.S. attorney's office, which declined to comment on the investigation.
    In the event of a bankruptcy, analysts said the retailer's popularity among teens and young adults would be an asset. But they also said Charney would probably need to take on a different role.
    "I don't think everything Charney did was wrong," Davidowitz said. "I just think he was over his head doing everything."
    The best solution, he said, would be for a new investor to gain control, replace Charney as head of the company and move him to a position as head of creative design.
    "The question is, can Charney handle working under anyone? He might be running around the factory in his underwear."

• I didn't see a link to any reference points, so I thought I would post.

This is actually sad/bad in a lot of ways. AA puts a LOT of money into young culture. Blog/Internet advertising is the biggest one. Also advertising in print is another. They have always been very aggressive with advertising.

Not sure if any of you were recipients of Scion money when they were launching, but they poured money into urban/electronic/trendsetter/hipster culture and then suddenly switched directions/markets when they had achieved their sales goals and permeated markets. This left a lot of people out in the cold who had worked closely and passionately to help develop the brand.

I don't think AA will go under.Personally, I think Dov has to go. To say he is the only one that can run the company is horseshit. There are thousands (if not millions) of companies that are run more effectively. There needs to be a vast restructuring. Probably closing the lowest 1/3 or 1/4 of their performing stores. Dov creeps me out. I know some victims of his creepster antics and it disturbs me. As a human. That said, as a marketer he is A+++ genius. If only he didn't run that company and had a competent team, their biz would be airtight.

I am also a little bummed that they might move some/all of their manufacturing overseas. I was a little prideful of buying something american made. even if it was by illegals. I don't know if I fell into their marketing, but it was a great thing that clothing was made stateside considering that none of

Lastly, fuck you to whoever told me I was ignorant for buying a $40 tee shirt. If all of us lived your meandering ways, our economy would collapse and your life would be reminiscent of some mad max shit. (slight overeggeration, but not by far)Enjoy your life, I'll enjoy mine.

I think it was mentioned but Alternative Apparel does have some great tees and I would support them for all they are doing. Plus they have a super creepy awesome lookbook.

www.alternativeapparel.com