I about crapped my pants about this one....

InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Damn you, Choralaires.

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    is that half a record?

• sorry the picture is stretched.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You saw the graphic and thought it was a rare private press you had seen on the internet?

Century had stock covers that artist could choose from.
    That was one of the most popular styles.

• Thought it was Gloria Ann Taylor's 12" at first. And actually I'm an avid digger and didn't just "see it on the internet".

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    As a life long Abilenian, I must warn you to never get excited over anything with Abilene Christian in the title. I've been fooled many times-early in my career-and I dont want that to happen to anyone else. The thifts/charity shops around here are swimming in these records.

Out of curiosity, were in the West Texas area when you found that?

• Yeah man, thanks for the heads up. I am in Lubbock actually, I find some legit stuff up here but there are so many records around this West Texas area that fool me into thinking it is something good but is just choral or southern gospel. How you doing down in Abilene bro?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    As an avid digger, how have you not ever seen this generic Century cover before? There must be 1000s of titles with this cover.

• No idea man, I have been digging for years and i've never seen this cover, my bad I guess.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, not to pile on but it is a Century "greatest hits" cover, alas.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    It's like the Bachs Lp, where there are about a hundred other records with the same generic cover and almost none of them are any good/worth money

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I am sill kicking myself for leaving behind Western Hill HS 1969 stage band at a fort worth goodwill many years ago...it had a "psychedelic medley"...used that same stock cover...

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I am sill kicking myself for leaving behind Western Hill HS 1969 stage band at a fort worth goodwill many years ago...it had a "psychedelic medley"...used that same stock cover...

:oof:

I've done boneheaded shit like this before and I've since trained myself as best as possible to cop anything that looks even remotely promising. Countless chud boxes later.....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Nine times outta ten it's just another copy of Edwin Hawkins.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    pulled this not long ago, recalling theres a psych/private/raer something using that exact same cover also.. cannot remember the record though ???? anyone...

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    Yeah man, thanks for the heads up. I am in Lubbock actually, I find some legit stuff up here but there are so many records around this West Texas area that fool me into thinking it is something good but is just choral or southern gospel. How you doing down in Abilene bro?

Theres plenty of gospel turds to be had around here. Abilene has been real good to me over the years. Im not sure how many people actually come through here but if your patient good stuff turns up. What's good in Lubbock? Ive heard of Ralph's Records but I've never made it up that way.

Jason

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    upskiboo said:
    pulled this not long ago, recalling theres a psych/private/raer something using that exact same cover also.. cannot remember the record though ???? anyone...

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I too have been fooled many times by the stock cover fiasco. But nothing beats the times when you do find THAT ONE.

• JATX said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Yeah man, thanks for the heads up. I am in Lubbock actually, I find some legit stuff up here but there are so many records around this West Texas area that fool me into thinking it is something good but is just choral or southern gospel. How you doing down in Abilene bro?

Theres plenty of gospel turds to be had around here. Abilene has been real good to me over the years. Im not sure how many people actually come through here but if your patient good stuff turns up. What's good in Lubbock? Ive heard of Ralph's Records but I've never made it up that way.

Jason

I have found a lot of DJ rarities around from some dance studios, thrift stores etc. and a lot of classical stuff that brings big bucks because of Texas Tech music department. Also people have countless stockpiles of Buddy Holly stuff that you can turn around and add to your collection quick. Ralph is a good guy, definitely old school in his collecting and selling, so if you are looking for any "known" collectable albums he is gonna ebay them, but he has some looked over gems quite often that are pick worthy and his prices are usually no more than $8. What does Abilene have to offer? I should make it down sometime.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Theres a few fleas around here that turn up quality stuff from time to time. A record store just reopened here that sells Beatles stuff for the going rate, but leaves Ernie Hines in the dollar bins. They have a pretty wide selection of ost's and alot of rock/psych stuff for $2 as well. Still, it's pretty hit or miss, but persistence will yield some heat.

If your ever down this way drop me a line and i'll be glad to show you around.