SUPER SERATO HELP... MAC TO PC

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
So I installed Serato on a PC laptop, all good to go. It said something about installing a driver[/b] for Windows XP[/b] but because I'm not connected to the interface it didn't install. Later on when I'm hooked up to the interface I will follow the directions and install the driver.

I also have to install iTunes, which I haven't yet.

Now I have a USB cable hooked up to my mac and I want to bring my music files over to the PC. I have no idea how to do this. Where do I start?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Okay...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    If you need that driver or instructions for it holler - i'm not quite sure what you're asking though. You need to transfer files from a Mac to a PC right? Can't you just drag and drop them?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    [quote You need to transfer files from a Mac to a PC right? Can't you just drag and drop them?
    That's what I'm trying to figure out. I have a USB connected between them...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Day, you use a Mac or a PC?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    PC - that's crazy. You can't just drag MP3s or whatever from one comp to the other?

Your other option is to do the trasfer via an Ipod if you have one around.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    AI,

A USB cord alone won't do it. In fact, I doubt it'd do it at all, though there might be some kind of software program that would assist but again, I doubt it.

If your PC has a firewire port, you could try running a firewire cord b/t the two of them and then try rebooting your Mac in "target disc" mode (you reboot the computer and I believe, press "T" on the keyboard.) That basically turns your computer into a firewire drive which MAY mount correctly on your PC but again, I'm not sure how these crossplatform transfer will go. For example, if your iPod is formatted for Mac, I'm almost positive it won't mount to a PC though a PC-formatted iPod will show up on a Mac.

The easiest solution would be to burn what you need to CD (as MP3 files, not as songs, therefore, giving you far more copy room) and then load them on the other computer. Not exactly what you'd call an "elegant solution" but it'll work at least.

• Are your 2 computers networked?
    I'm not a Mac user but I'm pretty sure you can share folders & files on your Mac that the PC can access (using Windows networking).
    Then you can just transfer everything via network, won't be as fast firewire but it will be fast enough & convenient.

I just got Serato setup & so far got about 20gigs worth of audio on a Firewire Drive.
    That drive is gonna stay linked to my main audio PC, which I can access with my wireless laptop (Serato) & bring over any audio files I need.
    Whenever I add new tracks, I will just sync my laptops Music folder with the one on my Firewire drive.

hope that helps yo.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    os x = hfs+

xp = ntfs

the two data formats are not compatible. XP cannot read hfs+ w/o a 3rd party app I think, whereas macs can read ntfs but can't write to it.

The best best as mentioned before is set up a transfer through your wireless network. You'll get 54mbps which is not 400mbps of firewire, but still pretty fast.

http://macs.about.com/cs/tipstutorials/a/xp_osx_sharing.htm

I'm not sure if target disk mode will work w/ xp..........that's a mac to mac feature.

now back to my laphroaig 10 yr session...

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    As another anecdotal thing, iTUNES sucks cause it adds all sorts of code to your MP3s rendering them no longer MP3s. Try "J Hymn" to strip them of this code else have also sorts of duplication/transfer issues.