Inception

hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
Who's seen it ? I love Nolan's films and am looking forward to seeing it on IMAX this Sunday.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Can't wait to see this. Heard he knocked it out the park with this one.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I saw a noon showing of this on IMAX today. I enjoyed it a lot. I don't want to spoil anything so I'm not gonna say much, but the plot held together quite well. I really enjoyed the whole concept of extraction/inception. Johnny Mnemonic vs Matrix vs The Cell vs Bond films.

Well worth going to see. I don't catch a lot of flicks at the theater but I'm glad I did with this one.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    This will probably be the first movie I see at the theater in almost a year.

• I am most definitely going to be viewing this on Sunday.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Just saw it. Give it a VG-

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    just saw it in a late show. pretty awesome stuff.

maybe overplays it's hand a bit, but really no complaints.

I like popcorn movies that make the audience think, and you have to pay attention to this movie.

no spoiler, but the final shot got a huge reaction from the audience, and rightly so.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Saw it today. Pretty amazing. Came out and didn't realize how long the movie was. Always a good sign that you've been sucked in. Also figured out the ending pretty early on, but still enjoyed watching the whole thing.

motown67 said:
    Also figured out the ending pretty early on, but still enjoyed watching the whole thing.

Trying to keep this thread spoiler-free for now, but I find this statement funny, since the entire point of the ending is that it can't be figured out, which is why when that final shot went dark most of the audience yelled, groaned, shouted "no way, what the hell!" etc ... so I'm not sure what you figured out, unless early in the film you said to yourself, "Hey, I bet Nolan is going to fuck with my head at the end!"

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Saw it today on IMAX.

Pretty decent. Nolan is a great director and I've liked his stuff since Following. This kinda reminded me of Memento in a way.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    saw it at the cinerama dome tonight - really enjoyed it. good characters and a really smart plot. i'm amazed that they could make this so accessible.

> no spoiler, but the final shot got a huge reaction from the audience

yep - here too.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    saw it saturday afternoon on 42nd st AMC megaplex, it was packed. i loved this film, will definitely go see it again. lots of mindf*** stuff to think about, great eye candy visuals (including some stuff i just have no idea how they filmed - especially given Nolans distaste for heavy cgi and post), well acted, no corny, and only a few slight plot dents that probably would have been easily covered if they wanted to make it a 3 hour movie. lovers of matrix/memento/'relative point of view' freakiness, plus some well done creepiness, do not hesitate and be rewarded.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Going to go watch this as been a while since there was a big blockbuster that I thought would be worth seeing on the big screen. Been trying to avoid too many reviews/spoilers/etc as sick of going to watch films with an encyclopaedic knowledge in my head but anyone care to comment on what the levels of pretension are like? All for a film that takes itself seriously but Nolan's films appear to be more and more po faced and the trailers of Leo looking intense add to the concern that it will be an entirely humourless experience.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    motown67 said:
    Also figured out the ending pretty early on, but still enjoyed watching the whole thing.

Trying to keep this thread spoiler-free for now

when that final shot went dark

Hey what the fuck man.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Solid heist film and I enjoyed it overall but positively riddled with all kinds of shortcomings. The fact that you don't necessarily fixate on them is a testament to some of the visual distractions and a pretty well-paced thriller .

I still think Nolan can't direct a small scale action scene to save his life and I feel like the only emotional register he operates in is "tortured". That all said, his visual imagination may be limited (especially in this film) but it's still pretty awesome to behold.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    American cinema is complete shit right now so I'll give Inception a pass. It was good.

The cinematography was beautiful, and the lucid dream logic was excellent. Tom hardy deserves to be put in more action movies.

(Spoilers)
    The plot was silly and predictable and it took itself too seriously. I didn't like most of the cast specifically Leo and Juno, Michael Caine was underused. I felt there was too much explaining, and that made the movie feel too long. The bad guys were just subconcious projections, and I never felt that any character was in any danger at any time throughout the film. They really built up Marion Cotillard's character (easily the only interesting character) up into being something more (a major threat) than she actually was (a minor obstacle). I didn't like the fact that it turned into a simple heist movie/action movie. I'm just not into the way that Nolan directs action.
    (/Spoilers)

However, I'm going to support this film because Hollywood definitely needs to fund more big budget intelligent original films.

- spidey

• huge Leo fan here (l.a.c.e.s!). happy to have seen it in the theater for the special effects purposes but i think i need to see it again to grasp everything else. perhaps i will purchase the dvd.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Also would like to point out that the Japanese did it first, and better.

- spidey

As my friend pointed out, the influence of Philip K. Dick on Hollywood is never-ending. Even if "Inception" wasn't an adaptation, it certainly shares much in common with PKD's themes and there's really no end of the ways in which you could apply his ideas to films.

Of course, whether you actually apply them successfully is a different story.

I thought "Inception" did ok but again, I'm more in thrall with the power of the imagery and the pacing than I am with anything deeper than a visceral response. I'd need more time to really parse what I thought about the film's ideas but my gut says "not remotely as deep as it thinks it is." In contrast, "The Matrix" was actually considerably richer AND more fun to watch if you want to make a head-to-head comparison.

Spidey: nice Paprika shout-out. Visually gripping but dude, a holyfuckingmess of a plot.

Spidey: Something else you raised, regarding the idea that the characters were never in real danger...

This bothered me a bit too, only because it meant that the stakes were never about "oh shit, I might die!" but were instead, "oh shit, I may fail this job." Kind of lacks in dramatic tension compared to the other films were dying-in-dream-state=dying-in-reality.

On the other hand, from a sci-fi point of view, it makes more sense to me that dying in a dream is like how Inception thinks of it: you wake up. Your consciousness can't "kill itself" nor can someone else kill you in your (or their) dream. I always thought that part of "The Matrix," for example, made no sense. You're broadcasting your consciousness into a computer program but so long as your brain is physically alive, I don't see how you can "kill" a broadcast and have that kill its source.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    I feel like the only emotional register he operates in is "tortured".

I look forward to seeing this flick, but this comment is spot on. I feel like a little bit of levity or frivolousness would help Nolan immensely.

gareth said:
    mannybolone said:

I look forward to seeing this flick, but this comment is spot on. I feel like a little bit of levity or frivolousness would help Nolan immensely.

It's been often said that Nolan seems to aspire to make high-minded popcorn films and god bless him for that (since someone needs to counteract Bay and Ratner) but his work is so "serious" and "stoic" that it's a drag after a while. I mean, he was the perfect guy to take on "Batman" but imagine his craftsmanship combined with, you know, a sense of humor.

Imagine if "Inception" had been crossed with the DNA of "The Sting" vs. "Shutter Island".

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    gareth said:
    mannybolone said:

It's been often said that Nolan seems to aspire to make high-minded popcorn films and god bless him for that (since someone needs to counteract Bay and Ratner) but his work is so "serious" and "stoic" that it's a drag after a while. I mean, he was the perfect guy to take on "Batman" but imagine his craftsmanship combined with, you know, a sense of humor.

Imagine if "Inception" had been crossed with the DNA of "The Sting" vs. "Shutter Island".

I feel like the only plot device he operates in is violence.

Hmm...I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by violence as plot device in his films.

I do think, however, *vengeance* is a damn near universal theme in all his notable movies (though I wouldn't say "Inception" is as wrapped up in this as is "Memento," "The Prestige" or the Batman films.

Nolan seems to want to "get under the dark psyche" of his main characters and to the extent that his work is very noir-influenced, I wish he'd find new sins to explore. Like greed. (But not lust. I don't imagine he could ever effectively direct anything sexual in content).

re: "Inception" - I really like what my man Hua had to say about the film: http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2010/07/inception-ghost-town-ghost-faces/60016/

• SPlDEY said:

- spidey

whats the movie you're referring to?

smoking_robot said:
    SPlDEY said:

- spidey

whats the movie you're referring to?

He's referring to "Paprika," a Japanese anime film that came out around...2005? It's about a therapist/superhero who enters people's dream states to help them. The imagery in the film is fucking bonkers though as I alluded to earlier, plot-wise, it's mega-convoluted, even compared to other anime films.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I enjoyed this movie, though it wasn't the mind fusk I thought it was going to be. There were some holes, but so what just have fun. It had to be over explained because it was a pretty original idea that you can't really expect people just to figure out. I know, other people have done similar things but this movie had specific rules that had to be explained.

The first 45 min were like "cool but not mind blowing". Once they got in the dream things got really good.

As far as the "nobody in danger" who cares? A movie isn't good unless every dies if they fail? The danger was not getting the job done and it was all really about Leo and what would happen to him if the job didn't get done.

The whole part with the 3rd Rock kid going Matrix and having to deal with his situation (trying not to spoil here) was really good stuff both in acting and FX.

High Brow Popcorn is the best tag for this kind of movie. It's not as good as reading a P. Dick novel, but it's a good time and makes you think while watching.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    motown67 said:

Trying to keep this thread spoiler-free for now

when that final shot went dark

Hey what the fuck man.

huh?

mannybolone said:
    In contrast, "The Matrix" was actually considerably richer AND more fun to watch if you want to make a head-to-head comparison.

wow, really? I never considered the Matrix all that great. I thought this film was far more rewarding.

volumen said:
    I enjoyed this movie, though it wasn't the mind fusk I thought it was going to be. There were some holes, but so what just have fun. It had to be over explained because it was a pretty original idea that you can't really expect people just to figure out. I know, other people have done similar things but this movie had specific rules that had to be explained.

I think that's debatable. I don't think the amount of detail here really made the film suffer so I'm in agreement with you here. But I also don't think a good storyteller ever has to explain shit if they know how to tell a story right. "Inception" was anal-retentively detailed in a way that wasn't necessary but, to me, didn't necessarily detract from its entertainment value. I'm sympathetic to others who disagree.

volumen said:

As far as the "nobody in danger" who cares? A movie isn't good unless every dies if they fail?

That's not what I was saying. But if you're in a situation where you're killing "projections" and the worst thing that happens to you is you either "wake up" or "go to limbo," there's no dramatic tension in the stakes. I mean, Cobb took on a job that he knew would be difficult and unpopular because he wanted to "get back home" and the film hammers the point home that this is VERY IMPORTANT (cue: Zimmer!). If it had been about getting paid, it would have changed the tenor of the film.

So yeah, when you have Eames going all fucking Jason Bourne/Rambo on the snow bunnies, the fact that he's basically killing a bunch of mental projections is about as exciting as watching someone else play a video game. There's very little narrative drama there.

To me, I'm surprised Nolan didn't take the opportunity to create a more sophisticated "extraction defense." I mean, having a bunch of armed dudes show up and wreck shop seems pretty, well, lame compared to - for example - deploying forgers like Eames against the extraction/inception team. Instead, you reduce the game to a series of "who can kill who faster?"

With the exception of the zero-G hotel scenes, the action sequences in the film were quite on par with Nolan's work on the two "Batman" films, which is to say: underachieving. In the case of "Inception," not only were they directed poorly, but it's low-stakes violence. And that point, you're just blowing shit up because you can. You might as well be Michael Bay.

volumen said:
    The whole part with the 3rd Rock kid going Matrix and having to deal with his situation (trying not to spoil here) was really good stuff both in acting and FX.

Bingo. And that didn't require him to necessarily fend off C.O.B.R.A.'s snow troops. The best action sequences in the film rarely involved violence, but rather, puzzle-solving. Nolan, IMO, has a real gift for the latter.

SoulOnIce said:
    mannybolone said:
    In contrast, "The Matrix" was actually considerably richer AND more fun to watch if you want to make a head-to-head comparison.

wow, really? I never considered the Matrix all that great. I thought this film was far more rewarding.

I could go into an extensive breakdown of why I think "The Matrix" is better but I don't see the productiveness in that. It's cool if you disagree. Just a diff. in opinion.