Ronnie James Dio RIP

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Passed away this AM..stomach cancer...he was 67...I know dude probably doesnt have a lot of fans on the strut, but I was a fan...dude put out records for 52 years...Ronnie and the Red Caps, Ronnie and the Prophets, The Electric Elves, the Elves, Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio, Heaven and Hell...thats a long time in the game...RIP

Comments

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    RIP to a legend.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    RIP Ronnie, he was truly prolific spanning the eras of rock & roll.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    My favorite metal singer......RIP

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    RIP

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I was a big fan. Loved him in Sabbath and saw him when he was just Dio in the 1980s.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    RIP Ronnie James Dio. Sabbath for life.

Black Sabbath was one of the first concerts that I saw when I was a kid, back in 1989 at the Tower Theater in Philly. It was a sans Dio, sans Ozzy performance, but still made a lasting impression on me, someone who is a lifelong fan. Any kind growing up at that time idolized Sabbath, especially any kid that was into graffiti. And to quote my man Eli Escobar, "Dude stepped into a vary hard postition to fill, and really killed it. Dude was that ill." Plus I have to admit that the album cover from "Holy Diver" scared the shit out of me when I was a kid...

I spoke a little bit more about it on my site, so you can check that out here: www.cosmobaker.com

Also up there is my Sabbath In The Park Wicked Mix 666 mix. 74 Minutes of Guitar Licks & Darkness, mixed by Cosmo Baker. Rock on, Ronnie - HORNS UP!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    DAMN, this one truly hurts. R.I.P. to a true metal GOD!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    RIP

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Rainbow in the Dark!

RIP Dio!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Unfuckwithable.....

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Side 2 of "Rainbow Rising" is one of the most perfect metal LP sides of all time...fuck, this really sucks...my boy just called me and he was gettin a little misty-eyed, and I think I am also...dang

side 2 of rising:

• analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
    just heard the news, sad day.R.I.P. DIo

• His body of work spanning decades and different groups was, is, and always will be amazing. One of my favorite frontmen. Rest well.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    man... i was just listening to some dio last month, reminiscing on his powerful voice. ronnie is a force!

rest in peace.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I saw Ronnie play in Poughkeepsie on the "Last In Line" tour, still have the tour book:

RIP m/

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    RIP - I'm truly bummed.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

One of my favorite tracks from that LP.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Damn. RIP to a true legend! Saw him and his band "Dio" at the Paramount theater in Seattle in 1983 on the Holy Diver tour. Vivian Campbell was on guitar. Great show!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Sad to read this first thing on a Monday morning. Didn't know dude's career had been that long; I was only familiar with the rock stuff (which was the background to many teenage kicks) but damn, seems dude had been there and done that.

RIP Ronnie.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Side 2 of "Rainbow Rising" is one of the most perfect metal LP sides of all time...fuck, this really sucks...my boy just called me and he was gettin a little misty-eyed, and I think I am also...dang

side 2 of rising:

Saw him fronting Rainbow around this time, and they were great. I have to say that he wasn't as key a figure in my musical development as he was for some, but nevertheless, despite his stature, he was undeniably a big man in the game. RIP.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Actually, I was just talking to a friend who works at Universal. His manager (who I think was also his wife) was in to see them recently, because he had a lot of catalogue with them. Anyway, everyone was in really good spirits and was convinced he'd beaten the cancer. He had a whole bunch of European festival dates scheduled as well. Really sad.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I may have posted this before, but this is my Dio story:

In my freshman dorm, there was this dude named Kevin from Buffalo (he rode hard for Joe Public--a very lonely road, to be sure), who was small-townish and fresh-faced, and was one of these dudes who abbreviated everything for no goddamn reason: the cafeteria became "the caf," the bathroom was "the lav," and on and on.

Anyway, one night while gearing up for a Barenaked Ladies concert or the equivalent, Kevin's running around looking to borrow some deodorant (oof!), and so he hits up his neighbor, this hair-farmer hesher dude named Andy. Knocks on the door saying, "Hey, Andy--can I borrow some deo?" Buzzing and puzzled, Andy says, "What, like Holy Diver or something?" Kevin: "Oh, you know, I don't care what brand it is--as long as it's not too perfume-y." "Nah, I don't mess with any of that girly Poison-type shit, bro." "Well, like I said, I'm not picky about brands, I just need something that works." "Oh, Dio works, bro..." And it went on like that for a lot longer than it should have, as me and another dude watched in disbelief.

I'm not trying to make light, though--Rest In Peace.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    If these slapdicks decide to protest you, it is the sign that you made the world a better place...

Westboro Baptist Church Plans To Picket Ronnie James Dio Memorial Service
    http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=56079