Obama's Katrina (Fox News Again)

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
the lengths at which fox will go to push particular angles in pursuit of their ideological objectives has just taken a step through the looking glass...muchas respect to gibbs for pushing back real hard, wendel goller is sent realing...

Comments

• fucking disgusting.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Any one who says that the Feds (Obama) messed up and were slow to react to a major disaster is correct.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    Any one who says that the Feds (Obama) messed up and were slow to react to a major disaster is correct.

what evidence do you base that assertion on?

param name='flashvars' value='config=http://mediamatters.org/embed

for days the feds did nothing allowing BP to take the lead. Thus they were slow to react.

By doing so they messed up.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/05/bp-gulf-oil-spill-timeline.php

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    param name='flashvars' value='config=http://mediamatters.org/embed

"I don't want to start any conspiracy theories, but..."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I find suggestions that the Obama presidency had anything to do with purposefully causing this accident just as offensive as I found the suggestions that the Bush presidency had anything to do with purposefully causing levees to fail after/during Katrina.

for days the feds did nothing allowing BP to take the lead. Thus they were slow to react.

that account seems very sketchy and written from an obvious idealogical point of view..

your assertion that the administration "did nothing for days" is not an accurate statement in the least and is completely devoid of any sort factual and scientific context. i don't claim to be an expert or even a novice in the science of oil spill clean-up etc. but there seem to have been a number of factors at play, not all of which were necessarily foreseeable.

perhaps bp and the fed gov't made an early assessment that it could contained, perhaps the federal gov't was misled, maybe the federal gov't was grossly negligent. its just too early to say i think.

the most i think you can say at this point is that in your opinion their efforts were not satisfactory and that they failed to perceive the extent of the damage earlier.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Of course the government should have had an 800 mile long oil boom at the ready at all times...

that account seems very sketchy and written from an obvious idealogical point of view..

your assertion that the administration "did nothing for days" is not an accurate statement in the least and is completely devoid of any sort factual and scientific context. i don't claim to be an expert or even a novice in the science of oil spill clean-up etc. but there seem to have been a number of factors at play, not all of which were necessarily foreseeable.

perhaps bp and the fed gov't made an early assessment that it could contained, perhaps the federal gov't was misled, maybe the federal gov't was grossly negligent. its just too early to say i think.

the most i think you can say at this point is that in your opinion their efforts were not satisfactory and that they failed to perceive the extent of the damage earlier.

Please find a timeline that shows the Feds quick to react.
    In deed, find a timeline that shows the Feds did anything other than have Rear Admiral Mary Landry (Coast Guard) issue PB press releases.

This started 2 weeks ago. It is not too soon for a timeline.

Of course the government should have had an 800 mile long oil boom at the ready at all times...

That's kinda ridiculous.....but Obama should at least have a giant straw that could suck up the oil and turn it into cotton candy.

In deed, find a timeline that shows the Feds did anything other than have Rear Admiral Mary Landry (Coast Guard) issue PB press releases.

i never made the assertion or even expressed the opinion that the feds were quick to react, all i said was i'm not certain these charges of gross negligence on the part of the administration are necessarily grounded in fact or reality. the main point being that historical paralell that this is obama's katrina at this point is reaching.

the federal gov't asserts they took a number of concrete steps to address the situation beyond issuing press releases. that time-line you produced is incomplete and ideological.

Please don't attack me, and then turn around and say you were attacking someone else.

your assertion that the administration "did nothing for days" is not an accurate statement in the least and is completely devoid of any sort factual and scientific context.

I asked you to back up that statement. Please present this factual and scientific context.

It is my opinion that there efforts were not satisfactory and they failed to perceive the extent of the damage earlier.

Since their job is to produce satisfactory efforts and to access the extent of damage I will repeat what I earlier said:
    "... the Feds (Obama) messed up and were slow to react to a major disaster..."

Please don't attack me, and then turn around and say you were attacking someone else.
    i don;t get this complaint one bit. i would never attack you, i attacked the validity of your assertion. i don;t see why or how this has any personal element to it whatsoever (besides the one you just introduced)

I asked you to back up that statement. Please present this factual and scientific context.
    since i never made the assertion i don;t see why i should have to prove anything but here is what the administration said on sunday. you can choose not to believe it and that's your right but it sure differs from the timeline from the treehugger site

It is my opinion that there efforts were not satisfactory and they failed to perceive the extent of the damage earlier.

Since their job is to produce satisfactory efforts and to access the extent of damage
    you're totally entitled to your opinion but my take is that just because there has been horrible fallout from this disaster that doesn;t defacto mean the feds failed to take the sort of precautions that would be expected in this type of situation.

your assertion that the administration "did nothing for days" is not an accurate statement in the least and is completely devoid of any sort factual and scientific context.

Since their job is to produce satisfactory efforts and to access the extent of damage I will repeat what I earlier said:
    "... the Feds (Obama) messed up and were slow to react to a major disaster..."

Man, you must have a career that solves lots of problems and produces lots of satisfactory efforts.

Me, I've spent the last 10 days writing protocols on how to properly contain and clean up the oil once it approaches land using patented products that I had placed on the EPA Contingency Plan(on page 9 with the initials CS, SD & DP if anyone is interested).

We supply hydrophobic spill absorbant polymers to private customers and municipalities and have been out of stock for over a week due to the amount of actions being taken by the Federal & State governments.

There are lots of people working their asses off trying to contain and clean-up this mess.....and others are typing on the internet about it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I've slammed you in other threads Rich, but good on you for doing the right thing here. I mean that. Everyone has the internet to type nonsense, and the real world to do good works.

• Options
    Me, I've spent the last 10 days writing protocols on how to properly contain and clean up the oil once it approaches land using patented products that I had placed on the EPA Contingency Plan(on page 9 with the initials CS, SD & DP if anyone is interested).

We supply hydrophobic spill absorbant polymers to private customers and municipalities and have been out of stock for over a week due to the amount of actions being taken by the Federal & State governments.

This is the most hopeful thing I've read yet about the cleanup effort. Odd to find it on a music board! I just don't see much good information in the media about this.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Blame-A-Nigger

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I blame BATMON for this oil spill. Where is the caped crusader when we need him?

Still trying to get up in Kim Bassinger's drawls. Pffft

Blame-A-Nigger

They thought about that shit but it got pulled......they figured out a way to put it on Cheney through Haliburton.

Close call.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I blame BATMON for this oil spill. Where is the caped crusader when we need him?

Still trying to get up in Kim Bassinger's Eartha Kitt drawls. Pffft

• Options
    FWIT, here's another timeline that shows Fed involvement very early on.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201005030027

FWIT, here's another timeline that shows Fed involvement very early on.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201005030027

Thank you. This timeline does a good job of showing the Federal response.
    Starting with:
    April 20th: "The U.S. Coast Guard's National Oil and Hazardous Substances Response System assigns primary responsibility for cleaning up oil spills to the spiller as the responsible party."

"April 29: Napolitano declares spill "of national significance"; BP insists its "plan can handle this spill." On April 29, BP official Doug Suttles appeared on ABC's Good Morning America and stated, "At this point, I believe our plan can handle this spill, and that's what we're doing." That day, Napolitano declared the spill "of national significance," explaining that "we can now draw down assets from across the country, other coastal areas, by way of example; that we will have a centralized communications because the spill is now crossing different regions." "

This gives me a much better understanding of the federal response.
    I still feel it was too little too late.
    If others feel like this was handled well... I guess that's just a view point I can't understand.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    If others feel like this was handled well... I guess that's just a view point I can't understand.

OK, I'll bite - What should they have done?

i never made the assertion or even expressed the opinion that the feds were quick to react, all i said was i'm not certain these charges of gross negligence on the part of the administration are necessarily grounded in fact or reality. the main point being that historical paralell that this is obama's katrina at this point is reaching.

the federal gov't asserts they took a number of concrete steps to address the situation beyond issuing press releases. that time-line you produced is incomplete and ideological.

I apologize for misunderstanding your posts.

I also apologize for stating my opinion as fact. Something I recently have tried to stop doing in regards to music and arts. I need to include political opinions in that as well.

Man, you must have a career that solves lots of problems and produces lots of satisfactory efforts.

I have found that all my jobs have been about solving problems.
    I judge success by how well those problems are solved.

When I fall short I admit it.
    I don't go around saying nothing could have been done or blaming others.

I have no expertise.
    There has been a long chain of events.
    Best I can tell none of these events have had positive results.

The first thing they should have done is prevent the explosion.
    The rig was not designed to explode.
    That means that somewhere along the way someone made a mistake.
    A poor weld? Smoking around fumes? Cutting corners? Or a 100 other things.
    There is supposed to be a lot of redundancy built in.
    Welds need to be inspected. Mangers need to keep people from smoking around fumes. Cutting corners should not be allowed.

• Options

I have no expertise.
    There has been a long chain of events.
    Best I can tell none of these events have had positive results.

The first thing they should have done is prevent the explosion.
    The rig was not designed to explode.
    That means that somewhere along the way someone made a mistake.
    A poor weld? Smoking around fumes? Cutting corners? Or a 100 other things.
    There is supposed to be a lot of redundancy built in.
    Welds need to be inspected. Mangers need to keep people from smoking around fumes. Cutting corners should not be allowed.

The federal government should have prevented the explosion?

Dude.

What?

Am I missing something here? How exactly can the government prevent any bad thing from happening anywhere at any time?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Listen, what this all boils down to is the wave of privatization that we've seen this country undertake (privatization of services that used to be the gov't's and other public institutions' responsibility) within the past 10, 15, 20 years and the repercussions / impacts that are now starting to show themselves. Bridges/infrastructure going into disrepair, lax regulations on key industries letting them cut corners, etc. Privatization for the most part is garnering short term profits on the back of long-term quality / reliability / safety / etc.

Both Republicans and Democrats are to blame for this; both sides have their hands in corporate pockets. Shit is disgusting AND IT HAS REAL WORLD EFFECTS like this oil leak.