Record Dealer

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Does anyone know who the record store owner on the cover of Dj Shadow - Midnight In A Perfect World 12" is? John something?

Comments

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    http://www.djshadow.com/news/ask-dj-shadow-answers-updated

"Motorcyle" John Hilyard. (He is the curious looking gentleman on the cover of the US "Midnight" 12-inch.) A legendary record dealer in California, Hilyard had a history in music going back to the mid '60s when he traveled from Montreal, Quebec to make the scene down in Los Angeles. There he inspired pranksters and hipsters like Kim Fowley, with his "unique" outlook and philosophies. I met John in 1991 or 1992, on a record pilgrimage to Merced, CA, where he had established a large vinyl outlet. By then the years of hard living had taken its toll, reducing John's voice to a hysterical cackle, and his features to a twisted mask. My initial impression was the same as most, probably something akin to, "This guy is a burned-out lunatic." But over the months and years of return trips, digging in close proximity to the man, I discovered a flawed, brilliant, disturbing, gentle, music-loving soul that I found inspirational. His dedication to gathering and appreciating vinyl was on a level I had never conceived of, and I consider him a big influence. "Napalm Brain" may sound like a harsh title, but it was intended to pay tribute to the unintentional logic of an erratic mind.

Shortly after "Endtroducing" came out, he finally lost his retail space and moved all of his records into a storage unit. It was there that he died, attempting to save money by living amongst the music he valued so much. Since then, his death has served as a cautionary tale of sorts...in every life there must be balance. Keep the record obsession within limits, lest ye end up like "Motorcycle" John Hilyard! ----

btw, check this:
    http://www.mixcloud.com/solesides/fighting-the-good-fight/player/

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Keep the record obsession within limits

^^^ironic that quote is coming from SHADOW of all people