Does Can play live anymore?

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I was told they play every now and again in Germany, but I'm starting to feel that that's a tall tale. And if not, why the hell not?

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think after Michael died it kind of ended all performances as Can.

From my understanding Jaki and Holger are still friends.. but now they're working on completely separate projects. Jaki has been touring with Burnt friedman, and moved away from traditional drumsets. Holger pretty much stopped playing the bass, and put his attention on moving on to electronic composition.

Irmin schmidt and his wife manage the Spoon label, dealing with any of Can's re-issues. Last year he dropped the Filmmusik Anthology Vol 4&5.

Damo is still touring the world performing with experimental bands all around the world. Malcolm still makes art and poetry.

They all reunited briefly when the Can ressurgance happened, but they no longer perform as a whole.

Though, I bet they could, and Geoff Barrow would be the only one I'd trust to get them to sound right. Thing is though, these aren't the same guys they were in the 60's, but bands like Flower traveling band, Orchestra Poly Ritmo de Benin, and Kashmere Stage band are proving that good musicians never die. Jaki recently worked with Braziliantime, Damo with Sixtoo, Acid Mothers Temple and The Mars Volta, Malcolm with Andy Votel, Holger with UNKLE..

I'll even volunteer to play guitar. Count me in.

- spidey

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    Actually my booking agent is also Jaki Liebezeit`s.. As far as i know, he is the only Can member left still touring. He s playing a lot with Burnt Friedman these days. And no, i cant get sealed Monster Magnets of him.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    You should give me his number man. He's much too talented for burnt friedman to hog.

- spidey

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    they didn't even play together in '99 when they became citizen of honour

• in 97 or so i saw em at the cooler in nyc. they were billed as damo's can i believe.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    in 97 or so i saw em at the cooler in nyc. they were billed as damo's can i believe.

OG members?

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    Damo is still touring. He played here 2 years ago on the Summer Solstice in the abandoned ruins of an old Trappist monastery. He can still perform, too - they had been playing for about 4 hours straight by the time I had to leave (around 1 AM).

I'd recommend going to see him if he plays nearby, but I'm guessing it's also highly dependent on who he's playing with at any given time.