Philly recommendations..

rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Me & my girl are going to visit Philadelphia in a couple of weeks, just seeing if y'all know of some cool stuff to do, i.e. record stores (of course), restaurants, etc. Also, most importantly, if anyone knows of any decent, not too expensive, hotels, especially ones near mass transit (doesn't have to be downtown downtown, as long as we can get around without driving). Thanks!

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I'll let someone more in the know handle this one, but I went down there a few months back to shop for vinyl...definitely didn't turn out too well. Long in the Tooth was the best of the stores I went to...I didn't get to hit Tequila Sunrise. Don't bother with Philadelphia Record Exchange....
    went to one other spot which was cool...but ya, I came back with less than special items, for the most part.

• are you a 45 guy? might wanna take the train out to 69th st and go to val shivley's. if you bring yr girl there though she will dump you. bws at 1619 E Passyunk Ave is off the subway and worth a try. long in the tooth is ok and in the center of town near rittenhouse area which is nice shopping for the girl. outdoor fleas start in may. never stayed at a hotel here maybe try priceline? what kind of food do you like in what price range? enjoy yr stay!

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    Thanks for the advice y'all, definitely want to hit Val Shively's, sounds ridiculous for a 45 dude like myself.. How is the subway system in Philly? If we stayed a little outside the city would it be too hard to get around without a car? Thanks so far.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I would definitely hit up Beautiful World on E Passyunk. There's also a location in West Philly that's worth hitting up. During my two years living there I found the most heat at these locations. Long in the Tooth is ok, but it is in the center of town so there's a lot for your girl to do there. Tequila Sunrise on Girard had some decent stuff from time to time. AKA Music on 2nd street is a great music store. Doesn't have the best selection of used vinyl, but they know there shit when it comes to reissues, imports, international music, etc. Worth a stop if you're in the area.

If you go to BWS on E Passyunk you could hit up Cantina that's just down the street. Some of the best Mexican you'll find in Philly and great margaritas. You should also probably hit up Reading Terminal Market for lunch or a snack. Truly overwhelming experience, but just great food and atmosphere all around. Sabrinas in South Philly is good for breakfast or brunch. If you're into beer and pub food you really can't beat North 3rd up in Northern Liberties. Some of the best pub food you'll have and decent prices. There's also Standard Tap a few blocks away which people really dig too, but I prefer North 3rd hands down. And there's also Honey's in Northern Libs that's especially awesome for breakfast.

If you want to maybe splurge a bit on food there are a ton of great restaurants in Center City. Alma de Cuba comes to mind. Maybe a bit overpriced but delicious food. Chloe is one of my favorites, no frills, hole in the wall type place.

I'm actually going to be there in May so I've already started thinking about the spots I need to hit up, hence the rambling.

Awesome Maru, thanks for the tips! Good Mexican food is always a must..

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Just stay away from 40th & Market today if you can help it.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR TEH FLASH MOBS!!!

• PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR TEH FLASH MOBS!!!
    You know for the past few days I heard about this, didn't read or see any news and thought it was Oprah and Black Eyed Peas shit that got rowdy because of the'flash mob' term. Then I was ashamed cause I live here and know better.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Randomly knock on peoples doors and ask if they have records they want to get rid of... thats what I do...

Haha, I might try that...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Surprisingly, the toughest dig in Philly is ALCOHOL

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Just stay away from 40th & Market today if you can help it.

huh? why ever so?

university city high school flash mobs?

for real , shit is unseemly. some 27 year ol lady got her teeth knocked out

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Me & my girl are going to visit Philadelphia in a couple of weeks, just seeing if y'all know of some cool stuff to do, i.e. record stores (of course), restaurants, etc. Also, most importantly, if anyone knows of any decent, not too expensive, hotels, especially ones near mass transit (doesn't have to be downtown downtown, as long as we can get around without driving). Thanks!

i dont know much about hotels...but if you stay outside the city, your odds of good public trans decrease exponentially. inside the city youre all right.

theres all kinds of things to recommend, so it would be difficult without knowing what part of the city youre in. BWS is the shit for records, especially the south philly store. not much in the way of 45s though. all other spots are hit or miss. altho tequilla sunrise specializes in new imports and stuff.

id second reading terminal market. if its nice out, walk around south street, go to penns landing, walk up walnut street to rittenhouse square.

there are lots of good restaurants. depends on your tastes and price range

whatever you do, dont go to a sixers game

have fun!

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Go to a boxing match at the Legendary Blue.

• hit up Cantina that's just down the street. Some of the best Mexican you'll find in Philly and great margaritas.

to each his own, but i have to say Cantina is, in my opinion, some of the WORST Mexican food in Philly. if you want Mexican food, i would recommend going to any number of restaurants that are actually owned and operated by Mexican folks (El Jarocho is pretty near BWS and pretty decent). i find the food at Cantina beyond bland.