International money orders?

BeathovenBeathoven 20 Posts
edited February 2010 in Strut Central
I need to send a money order from the UK for Otis Funkmeyer's auction donation matching Anyone know good/best service to use? My only experience is receiving a Western Union money order from the US which I was unable to cash Obviously I don't want anything like that happening with this.Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Western Union is fast and usually secure. They rip you off with the exchange rate but I guess that's the same wherever you go.

Can't imagine how you could have had problems cashing a Western Union MO in the UK??? I use them all the time, from the US to Europe, Europe to US, Europe to Africa, US to Africa, Canada to the US etc. always works.

• Thanks for gettin back to me Frank.

Well it was about eight years ago & you couldn't cash Western Union money orders in the UK then (this was not made clear when sorting out the transaction).

On top of the low exchange rate they also want 10% extra for their trouble, I would obviously prefer to give an extra 10% to charity.

Anyone else got experience from the UK, doesn't seem to be a very common practice here, probably for the above reasons.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Friend, pop into your bank and ask at the counter.

They can cut a cheque ('check' to the Merimen) for the requisite USD, but then you have to post it.

You can get it wired, but you need Otis' account number and bank details. This can be a fairly painful process, there's a form to fill, you get one bit wrong and that money will get bounced.

Best bet is to get a friendly Meriman to pay the money to Otis on your behalf, and you pay Meriman by Paypal.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Friend, pop into your bank and ask at the counter.

They can cut a cheque ('check' to the Merimen) for the requisite USD, but then you have to post it.

You can get it wired, but you need Otis' account number and bank details. This can be a fairly painful process, there's a form to fill, you get one bit wrong and that money will get bounced.

Best bet is to get a friendly Meriman to pay the money to Otis on your behalf, and you pay Meriman by Paypal.

dont the banks throw a feee for international transfer? They do down under..a huge fee sumthing like $80... Ive used Western Union b4 and had no hassle.

maybe Otis can tell us which method he'd prefer as he'll be dealing with it all....

• Cheers guys.

Called my bank & it's ??25/$40 to cut a cheque in USD.

??9/$15 for direct internet transfer which ain't to bad.

Apparently some US banks accept cheques made out in UK pounds, don't know if there is a charge that end for that.

As stated would just prefer this money went to charity.

Will contact Otis once I have confirmed details with the seller & see what's best for him.