Comments

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Has Arthur Conley been mentioned?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Anyone who thinks Frankie Beverly is underrated doesn't know any black folk

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

Thank you.

Some of yall need to have dinner at some Black homes for real.

D'Angelo.....

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I do, and they don't like to play hockey.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

I've always loved Allen Toussaint's voice, but his role as singer is NEVER given anywhere near the same due as his songwriting and production.

Also, what about T-Pain?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Ruby Johnson

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Latimore

Is his version of Let's Straighten It Out the definitive?

nah, there can't be a better version than ov wright's

Not to take away from O.V., but Latimore did it first and best. There ain't much f*cking with the way he attacks the first line of that song - sit yourself down, woman, and talk to me.[/b] Direct, yet controlled.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    huey lewis.

peace, stein. . .

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    leon ware
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YNvy8E3NPY
    especially for his work with marvin

ov wright
    thre memphis unlimited lp is one of my favorite records ever!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

I was watching King Of New York last night and realised how smooth Freddie is...

Billy Vera
    evidence needed on this one, I know one really great song with Judy Clay, but everything else I've heard (the rest of the LP with Judy Clay & the "With Pen In Hand" LP & a few 80s things) has been

I like him, but admittedly the man does have a Billy Joel-ish "adult contemporary" pop streak that isn't for everybody. "With Pen In Hand" is a great song (when Billy does it - terrible by everybody else), but there's no getting around the soap-opera plotline (it's a song about divorce, in case no one else besides me and Holmes has heard it).

Here's my B.V. top ten, from a soul-man perspective:
    "My Heart Cries" (Billy Vera & the Contrasts - early '60s side on Rust)
    "Really Together" (from his album w/Judy Clay, even though he sings it solo)
    "Run & Tell The People"
    "So Good To Be Together" (w/Judy)
    "Here Comes The Dawn Again" (Billy & the Beaters)
    "Strange Things Happening" (Billy & the Beaters, written by Percy Mayfield, who should be in this discussion himself)
    "She's Not So Young Anymore"
    "Never Knew Love Like This Before"
    "The Shadow Of Your Love" (by Blue-Eyed Soul, a band Billy had on the Cameo label, just prior to teaming up with Judy)
    "Ever Since" (w/Judy)

Swamp Dogg

yes. he's outrageous and all that, but the man has some PIPES

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

ov wright

I'm not convinced O.V. Wright is underrated (amongst soul collector types)
    but that album sure is underrated! People climb over each other to grip a
    70's ABC press of the "Nickle and a Nail" LP at $75 but leave sealed copies of
    "Memphis Unlimited" sitting in a box for $15. I realize a big part of it
    is that one is more scarce than the other, but I have had to make people
    buy that album at record shows, shove it in thier hands and insist.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Stacy Lattisaw

I don't think she's underrated - I've probably had at least half of her albums and while she's got some cuts I didn't think any of the full-lengths were good.

So what'cha sayin?

The general public have her on the top 50 list?

None of her albums are good throughout, yet the girl can sang.

Her Slow bangers still get played in NYC on the Quiet Storm.

Because of her age during her "run" she's classified as a teenybopper and not taken as a serious Soul(Contemporary R&B/Modern Soul) vocalist.

Feel free to shoot it down.

Eh, I just think she gets about as much fame as she deserves.

• Billy Vera
    evidence needed on this one, I know one really great song with Judy Clay, but everything else I've heard (the rest of the LP with Judy Clay & the "With Pen In Hand" LP & a few 80s things) has been

I like him, but admittedly the man does have a Billy Joel-ish "adult contemporary" pop streak that isn't for everybody. "With Pen In Hand" is a great song (when Billy does it - terrible by everybody else), but there's no getting around the soap-opera plotline (it's a song about divorce, in case no one else besides me and Holmes has heard it).

"Really Together" (from his album w/Judy Clay, even though he sings it solo)[/b]

x 1,000. This record is criminally slept on.

• Michael Jackson still underrated

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Michael Jackson still underrated

ill say that Soul fans rep his early Motown stuff since its obvious dude was doin str8 Soul in 71, but i wonder if cats regard his late solo career as examples of great Soul Vocals. I do.

There is a difference w/ I Dont Know Why I Love You compared to Butterflies.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

There is a difference w/ I Dont Know Why I Love You compared to Butterflies.

True, but a soul singer is a soul singer. I don't know about MJ because he's such an anomaly. Yes, he sings incredibly. People know him as a great singer. But do they look at him as a great singer or as MJ? Hard question, right? If you can dig what I'm saying...

And you know, I kind of hear what the dude saying Frankie Bev means. It's like, of course FB&M isn't underrated. But is Frankie Beverly the vocalist underrated, or in this case overshadowed, by the entity that is FB&M?

Case in point - nobody would say that The Whispers is an underrated group by any means. But ask someone to rate the dude Wallace Scott[/b] as a singer and they'll give the Scooby Doo face. Fact is, dude is unbelievable when it comes to singing, such an amazing voice with such control...

... dig me?

(PS - I just added Wallace Scott to this list )

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

such an enormous

I think The Whispers have been my #1 favorite group these past few weeks, and Walter Scott just kills it.

Definitely way underrated: for awhile I was just thinking how much I loved The Whispers until I realized how damn good Walter Scott was.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Billy Vera

"Really Together" (from his album w/Judy Clay, even though he sings it solo)[/b]

x 1,000. This record is criminally slept on.
    Absolutely, this is the "one really great song" I was on about above. Luckily it's on 45 so I don't have to file that snoozy ballad-fest of an LP......

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

such an enormous

I think The Whispers have been my #1 favorite group these past few weeks, and Walter Scott just kills it.

Definitely way underrated: for awhile I was just thinking how much I loved The Whispers until I realized how damn good Walter Scott was.
    I probably asked this before but I forgot, was the Walter Scott who recorded for Pzazz the guy from the Whispers or that white guy from Bob Kuban's band who got murdered or another soul singer entirely??

ov wright

I'm not convinced O.V. Wright is underrated (amongst soul collector types)
    but that album sure is underrated! People climb over each other to grip a
    70's ABC press of the "Nickle and a Nail" LP at $75 but leave sealed copies of
    "Memphis Unlimited" sitting in a box for $15.

...and they leave behind his even later albums like The Bottom Line and Into Something (Can't Shake Loose) for $5, which is a criminal mistake - those elpees stand toe to toe with the classic Back Beat sides.

I've never heard that third Hi album he did (We're Still Together), nor that gospel album he did on Nashboro right before he passed, but I'm basically caught up on everything else. In general O.V. is one of those Celebrate The Entire Catalog-type guys, to me.

• groove70sgroove70s 168 Posts

most underrated:
    Prince Phillip Mitchell
    Randy Brown

and some more:
    Eugene Record
    David Sea
    Rance Allen
    Booker T. Jones
    Al Johnson
    Ronn Matlock
    Jeff(rey) Perry
    Johnny Bristol
    G.C. Cameron
    Lou Courtney
    General Johnson
    Garland Green

Margie Joseph

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts

on general johnson. one o' my fav's!

peace, stein. . .

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    bill withers received accolades for his songwriting all the time but his singing skills was as good as his writing...

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    ^^That's weird, I was gonna post the same thing after bumpin Still Bill this aft.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    bill withers received accolades for his songwriting all the time but his singing skills was as good as his writing...

Is that a slight on his songwriting?

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

Is that a slight on his songwriting?

not sure about that but then again, did you know James Gadson used to wear a a PaJama live !

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    There are too damn many right answers to this question.

Underrated like Solomon Burke, who had a bunch of hits all throughout the 60s, but is totally ignored by radio and mainstream recollection?

Underrated like James Carr and Nolan Strong, who had respectable hits (and for Mr. Carr, one unassailable Classic), but are appreciated mostly in Europe?

There are plently of examples like Renaldo Domino and Steve Parks and Annette Poindexter who should have made it bigger, but didn't. The Brothers of Soul not only did not have a bad song, but didn't produce one either.

Others, like Rosco(e) Robinson, were trapped by bad business and Gospel. For that matter, there are multiple hundreds of Gospel singers that never crossed over to the secular side.

There are also perfectly imperfect singers like Lee Moses, Cresa Watson, Sammy Roberson, and Joe Brown who never had logical staying power on the charts (though Moses had a hit in "Time And Place."

...and poor William DeVaughn, whom everyone still thinks is Curtis Mayfield.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    BUMP

Billy Griffin