Underrated Soul Singers

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    the dude KEM.

wow, another Kem fan on SS? and i thought i was the only one. i'm with you, meistromoco! saw him live a couple of years ago, him and his band were most definitely (in a very sense, of course)

• wow, another Kem fan on SS? and i thought i was the only one. i'm with you, meistromoco! saw him live a couple of years ago, him and his band were most definitely (in a very sense, of course)

yeah, gotta say I was introduced to him through that remix I posted. But yeah, he kills it.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Phill had a KEM thread a minute ago

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    cosign on Billy Butler and JR Bailey

Helene Smith
    Joann Garrett
    Bettye Swann
    Carla Thomas
    Leroy Hutson

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    cosign on Billy Butler and JR Bailey

Helene Smith
    Joann Garrett
    Bettye Swann
    Carla Thomas
    Leroy Hutson

People need to know Joann Garrett.

People need to recognize Carla Thomas.

I need to find out about this Helene Smith of which you talk.

Jackie Wilson
    Little Willie John

^Too old for most around heres.

Taj Mahal, listening to him now, great singer.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Jackie Wilson
    crazy, one of the most critically recognized amazing vocalists of the last 50 years, but still gets called underrated??
    Shoot, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, James Brown, David Ruffin, Aretha Franklin....must all be underrated too....

ok, back on topic, I can't really add any newer singers from the 80s/90s to the list, but what about Freda Payne? Super versatile & convincing in any setting, whether jazz or R&B.

Helene Smith is definitely fire

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Stacy Lattisaw

Jackie Wilson
    crazy, one of the most critically recognized amazing vocalists of the last 50 years, but still gets called underrated??

Shoot, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, James Brown, David Ruffin, Aretha Franklin....must all be underrated too....

Here, at soulstrut, I don't think I have ever heard anyone mention Jackie Wilson. If there has been a Jackie Wilson Appreciation thread I missed it.
    All the other people you mentioned have had many threads devoted to appreciation, bios, films, single lp appreciation, single song appreciation. But not Jackie Wilson.

So I mentioned him.

Nice.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Rick Stevens (who to my knowledge only ever recorded one song, "Sparkling In The Sand" on the first Tower Of Power LP)

Rick Stevens is on the entire Bump City album, which included "You're Still A Young Man."

I thought they had another singer entirely on that first elpee.

• Brenton Wood
    Jimmy Holiday

Latimore

Rick Stevens (who to my knowledge only ever recorded one song, "Sparkling In The Sand" on the first Tower Of Power LP)

Rick Stevens is on the entire Bump City album, which included "You're Still A Young Man."

I thought they had another singer entirely on that first elpee.
    Rufus Miller & Rick Stevens both sang on East Bay Grease, I think Miller did the most (& then had some legal issues causing him to leave the group?) but it is definitely Stevens on "Sparkling in the Sand"?? I don't have the LP in front of me right now. Rick Stevens did the "Bump City" LP & then Lenny Williams took over from "Tower of Power" through to "Urban Renewal".

ok, I should have googled this first, Wikipedia clears everything up: Rufus Miller def sang most of "East Bay Grease" & it was Stevens who is doing life in prison for Murder not Miller.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Little Buster

I only have one of his singles, I'm So Lonely/You Were Meant for Me. Amazing. Is the rest of his stuff that good?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Just a few I think don't get enough love for their vocal skills.... IMO.....

Billy Vera

Rated here in New Zealand & certain parts of Europe, in America not so much.

Billy Vera
    evidence needed on this one, I know one really great song with Judy Clay, but everything else I've heard (the rest of the LP with Judy Clay & the "With Pen In Hand" LP & a few 80s things) has been

Latimore

Is his version of Let's Straighten It Out the definitive?

• Latimore

Is his version of Let's Straighten It Out the definitive?

nah, there can't be a better version than ov wright's

• Options
    D'angelo
    Erykah Badu
    Sade
    underrated? I'd say these three are/were fairly rated as vocalists.

Verdad!

Hahah, Yeah, reading this again, I'm not really sure what I was thinking.

sorry.

• Little Buster

I only have one of his singles, I'm So Lonely/You Were Meant for Me. Amazing. Is the rest of his stuff that good?

I only have one other, but 'I'm So Lonely' is beyond next level. One of my all time favorite 45s and the deepest of deep soul.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Toots

Going to see him on Tuesday next! Ice Cube before him...should be interesting.

As for great underrated voices, there are so many, and quite a few I can think of are listed already. Here's some more off the top of my head:

Garland Green
    Bobby Wilson
    Bobby Hutton
    Jimmy Raye
    Ronnie McNeir
    Esther Phillips (is she underrated?)
    Doris Duke
    Linda Lewis
    Anne Sexton
    Kim Tolliver
    Lolleatta

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Stacy Lattisaw

I don't think she's underrated - I've probably had at least half of her albums and while she's got some cuts I didn't think any of the full-lengths were good.

Stacy Lattisaw

I don't think she's underrated - I've probably had at least half of her albums and while she's got some cuts I didn't think any of the full-lengths were good.

So what'cha sayin?

The general public have her on the top 50 list?

None of her albums are good throughout, yet the girl can sang.

Her Slow bangers still get played in NYC on the Quiet Storm.

Because of her age during her "run" she's classified as a teenybopper and not taken as a serious Soul(Contemporary R&B/Modern Soul) vocalist.

Feel free to shoot it down.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Frankie Beverly