MJ Lp's

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I was just on ebay and Off The Wall and Thriller are going for 10x the normal price.

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    ??70 is cheap.

WOW

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    lol 1mil for off the wall..nice

• i just got off the wall from a charity shop for ??4; i can't tell you how good it is to hear this album again. Sealed copies of thriller are now selling for over $1000!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i guess all the people who sold their copies at yard sales over the past ten years are regretting it.

i need mines for a gig sat. otherwise i'd sell them and buy new copies when this nonsense is over.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    The thing is though, that

a) they are so damn common, and
    b) every moron on ebay has a copy and thinks that they can milk this opportunity
    c) due to the huge number of people into his music, there is increased demand right now

= ebay insanity

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yep, it's not like they're rare all of a sudden. I doubt his cds ever went out of print in some form or another. And then there's mp3s.
    Shit is crazy.

How much does it cost to put something up for buy-it-now @ $1million?

I remember dudes at the flea market trying to get $20 for radiator melted copies of Street Songs when Rick James passed. But this can actually help you at flea markets and house calls. Make sure to throw something MJ related on top of your stack and everything else will slip by for next to nothing. Then pass on the MJ raer.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    So far, all the commotion is over Off The Wall and Thriller.

Has everybody forgotten that Michael had other albums?

So far, I don't see anyone going hogwild over Music & Me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So far, I don't see anyone going hogwild over Farewell, My Summer Love.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I had an lp of Steeltown 45s that Ichiban put out a few years back.
    Would be nice to have it now. (To listen to, not sell.)

For the last few years Thriller and Off The Wall have been impossible to keep in stock. Not impossible, but they sell on the reg.

I have been charging $8-12 for them.
    I don't see any point in upping the price, but when you realize that most any version of the Beatles White LP goes for $30+ including the currently in print one, it is not outrageous to think that OTW could be $15-25 record.

For now, the reality is that the records most people remember and most DJs need are OTW and Thriller. So Farewell My Summer Love and Get It Together are going to be less in demand.

Which makes me think of the pic disc, with a real glove, I bought in a cut out bin in the 80s and sold for less than $10 in 90s still sealed. It's been ages since I have even seen that ET box, and that used to be hard to give away.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I'm guessing the large majority of these ridiculously priced ebay auctions will not be payed for.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I just did an interview with Channel 2 news (6pm for NYers) and the anchor proceeded to buy all my Jackson 5 LPs.

I had a caller earlier offering all kinds of money to hold a copy of "Off The Wall" for her.

I cram to understand.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    So far, I don't see anyone going hogwild over Farewell, My Summer Love.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Michael-Jackson-Fare...alenotsupported

The fact that there are any bidders for it at all is pretty remarkable. Twenty-four hours ago, you'd be hard pressed to move a copy for $5.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    most any version of the Beatles White LP goes for $30+ including the currently in print one...

that's not how it is around here- it's still easy to find a cheap used copy of the white album

i have to admit to my guilt of sort of taking MJ and J5 records for granted. One of those things that you see SO much, that you pass on it assuming it will always be available. Last night i went to the shelf and realized, as a result, how many gaps i have in this area of my collection
    (of course still i had enough stuff to play to last me the night)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can I just say that "Ben" was a f*cking incredible album.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Can I just say that Maybe Tomorrow was a f*cking incredible album.

Just the other day, on what was Michael's last day on earth, I had the overwhelming urge to hear "I Can't Quit Your Love," a deep cut from the J-5's overlooked Skywriter LP.

Haven't gotten around to playing it just yet, but you can bet it's in my "to be played" pile.

I had an lp of Steeltown 45s that Ichiban put out a few years back.
    Would be nice to have it now. (To listen to, not sell.)

I have a CD of the Steeltown masters where some doofus overdubbed synths and electronic drums all over it. I'm keeping it as a goof, but it was kinda galling last night to hear these radio talk-show hosts pay tribute by playing the OVERDUBBED version of "Big Boy."

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I remember being in a record store in the 80s and the owner was raising the prices on the Fred Waring records because he had just died. Idiot.

I've often told the story of the lady who brought me a box of records and said, "There is a John Denver record in there and I know he is dead!".

Yesterday somebody called and put the epic lps on hold, supposed to pick them up today. Normal prices.

So I went to over stock and found some more J5 but no more Epic lps.

I just did an interview with Channel 2 news (6pm for NYers) and the anchor proceeded to buy all my Jackson 5 LPs.

I had a caller earlier offering all kinds of money to hold a copy of "Off The Wall" for her.

I cram to understand.

I can't believe you still had any. You shoulda told me.

Can I just say that Maybe Tomorrow was a f*cking incredible album.

That's my favorite.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I cram to understand.

I can't believe you still had any. You shoulda told me.

What doesn't sell today is going STRAIGHT TO EBAY BABY

• i had a woman offer me ??90 for a regular UK copy of off the wall; i just couldn't refuse.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So what about true MJ/J5/Jacksons RAERS?

like the Limited Press from Dodger Stadium Teen Night

You Cant Win 45 w/ the extended version

dodgers stadium

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Thriller is (was?) the BIGGEST SELLING RECORD OF ALL TIME and you can assume most of those copies were LP too... still when younger kids find that LP at the store I work at they always flip out and act like they've made a crazy discovery. It's all good though, that's an easy way to make folks happy.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Just the other day, on what was Michael's last day on earth, I had the overwhelming urge to hear "I Can't Quit Your Love," a deep cut from the J-5's overlooked Skywriter LP.

Haven't gotten around to playing it just yet, but you can bet it's in my "to be played" pile.

I was actually bidding on this lp last week, no one was competing with me for it so I kept it low...then blam.... some dude bids an over the top amount for it and wins.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Bought a big collection last month, so I had dupes of multiple MJ records. Listed some 24 hour auctions for the helluva it a few days ago: Thriller went for $50, Ben for $40, OTW for $37, Best of for $30. Proceeded to buy a $100 gospel rare that I've been wanting w/ the proceeds. Such a strange phenomenon, it's like someone giving you 20 bucks for Herb Albert raers. wtf?