leon's creation...hell yeah! (rr)

spivyspivy 866 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
i feel i've been sleeping... just picked up a dirt cheap copy of this record today and its blowing my mind. i listened to this album like 8 years ago and hated it. definitely feeling this shit now. the track "until you were gone" is also bananas.

Comments

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    leon's creation cover is better to these ears. i like tito puente's cover of "batuka" more than santanas og too.

• Options
    leon's creation
    cover OG is better to these ears (Santana covered it 4 yrs later). i like tito puente's cover of "batuka" more than santanas og too.

They each bring something different to me. I don't disagree with you.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    leon's creation
    cover OG is better to these ears (Santana covered it 4 yrs later). i like tito puente's cover of "batuka" more than santanas og too.

They each bring something different to me. I don't disagree with you.
    ha- i thought it was a cover. santana is cool with me but his version is kinda... meh. "until you were gone" is my shit off the lp though.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i def prefer the santana version, total classic. its the first one i heard but ... its also just better imho

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Santana

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Ive always been a fan of the Santana version, hadnt heard the Leon Creation one. Thats shits nice too... gotta go track a copy down.

Who else covers that song?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Any opinions on that album that Leon's Creation cut for Atco? (They were just known as Creation by then.)

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Can you find a pic of that album? Not sure I know it.

Leon Patillo has a ton of terrible gospel output on the Word label...

Love the Leon's Creation album. A personal Bay Area fav...

Oh ok, I totally misunderstood the comment - I thought Pickwick was saying they were "just as known as Creation by then"

Dyslexia Fail

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    the track "until you were gone" is also bananas.

The female vocalist gets me climbing the walls a bit.

• Any opinions on that album that Leon's Creation cut for Atco? (They were just known as Creation by then.)

Not that great....certainly compared to This Is The Beginning. I really like one track 'Survival', which wouldn't sound out of place on the Beginning LP, unlike the other tracks.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    so wait a minute.... Leon Patillo sings Mirage on the Leon's Creation AND the Santana version? Thats a trip..... How often does that happen?

And whats this I hear that Sly Stone bought out the label they (LC) were on to squash the competition? True or nasty rumor?

paging Fairybelle Torres

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Santana

Mirage is definitely one of my favorite Santana songs. Too bad his music didn't go more into that direction. I went to see him perform live recently, and in there jams they would go into Santana versions of funk songs including a cissy strut and funky 16 corners.

- spidey

Hearing Santana jam "Voodoo Chile" at a concert in Oakland was one of my earliest live show experiences and it blew my mind.