PICTURING SINGERS BEFORE YOU SEE THEM

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
When I was a kid in Chicago, "Tin Man" by America crossed over to the black radio stations, evidently because it was a big steppers' cut in the local clubs.For a couple of weeks, hearing it in rotation with all these soul hits of the time, I pictured the singer to look like this:Come to find out, the cat doing the singing actually looked like THIS:And, this being Soul Strut, we all know what Curtis Mayfield looked and sounded like. But as a child with no frame of reference, THIS is who I pictured everytime I heard "Freddie's Dead":So...did you ever hear a song before finding out that the person didn't look like they sounded? Post 'em here!And it doesn't have to be the usual black guy you thought was white (or whatever, although that is welcome too). It could be the male you thought was female, the guy who figured would be a big 300-lb. S.O.B. but turned out to be short and scrawny, etc.. Point is, if they didn't match the expectations, speak on it!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    On the Freddie's Dead thang. I always was perplexed as a kid that the actor who plays him has "White Eye" in the photos on the back cover. WTF?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    When I first heard Big Daddy Kane on the radio - "Rhymin W/ Biz", I though dude was gonna look like the Green Mile dude. Lo and behold, Kane was a skinny flat-top cat.

"Check it out Y'all,A-Ya dont stop Keep on!"

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I would've never thought the brother (Bobby Byrd) with that deep, rugged voice in "Get Up, Get Into It, Get Involved" looked like this:

I expected him to look more like this:

The irony is that Paul Beasley (above) is a sweet-voiced falsetto Gospel singer!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I'll save you the RickRolling, but we all know that Rick Astley is second only to BOBBY CALDWELL in this category.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I'll save you the RickRolling, but we all know that Rick Astley is second only to BOBBY CALDWELL in this category.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    There was a 1982 hit called "Holiday" that I thought was her:

Didn't think it was someone like her:

I also thought "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" was this guy:

Ended up being this guy:

I also thought the voices of Chali2na and Soup came from one another, and then I saw the "Concrete Schoolyard" video, saw and heard the first two lines and thought "What?!"