Comments

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    those are boss, thanks for posting!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    dopeness.....

seems like some of these gangs had the same members.... ;-P

And whats with "the almighty gaylords'.....hehehehe

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    More importantly, why did they have buisness cards?
    And did they all use the same printer? Maybe the printer was a front for thier operations?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    dopeness.....

seems like some of these gangs had the same members.... ;-P

And whats with "the almighty gaylords'.....hehehehe

their card is kinda scary

whabout
    almighty freaks: we dont die we just get high
    that shit is too tuff

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Because you don't get the title "Sir Lazy" without putting in work!

• what's up with invisible black vultures? how can the be invisible and have a color? big jim needs to step his naming game up.

thats what I was thinking. Like if they bashed you on the street, did they give you a card afterwoulds? It might have worked in picking up girls.

BITD mid 90s, a bunch of 'make your own business card' machines appeared in local shopping centres. Dodgy as F*ck fonts, basic graphics, you designed and printed it all on the spot.... and as you can imagine...
    All these dropkicks started making their own biz cards. Even the local dealers where handing out cards with scales on them and shit NAGL.....

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I imagine those cards could give you cred in certain establishments and situations.

And keep you from getting your ass kicked by some crazy Chicago dudes.

I imagine those cards could give you cred in certain establishments and situations.

And keep you from getting your ass kicked by some crazy Chicago dudes.

So would this be the origins of the phrase "Pull your card"?

• And whats with "the almighty gaylords'.....hehehehe

Chicago's biggest white gang if I recall and apparently nothing to fukk with with.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Color it yourself! Fun for the kids!

• In Hunter S. Thompson's Hell's Angels he describes the Angel's business card style. He notes that for people who were outlaws, who had to stay out of the reach of law while still being able to be found by your people cards made a handy method of keeping track of rotating phone numbers.

They would also use them on motorists w/ flat tires to change their image. Roar up, quickly fix the vehicle drop a card and then get out.

It is quite interesting the symbols used to denote extremity or hardness in these chicago gang cards. The guy in the greek helmet killing a cat and dog, ku klux klan imagery, and of course the unicorn . . . noted planetwide for their callous brutality.

Otherwise, I'd imagine folks had business cards for the same reason anyone else does. To scrawl down leads to find records.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    and of course the unicorn . . . noted planetwide for their callous brutality.

for real?? i always equated them with rainbows and carebears.

• and of course the unicorn . . . noted planetwide for their callous brutality.

For one of the best 90s-style websites on the Gaylords, made by some person who seems really close to the material, hit:

http://www.gaylords712.com/frontpage.html

Thee Almighty Gaylord Nation

CROSS IS BOSS

• More importantly, why did they have buisness cards?

thats what I was thinking. Like if they bashed you on the street, did they give you a card afterwoulds?

^Yep. That was the idea. UK residents might know more about this, but I think the practice was commonplace with football hooligans at after-match brawls. They'd hand out cards saying "Congratulations,you have just met the Inter City Crew" after they doled out the ass-kickings .

Gang lore...so crazy.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

^Yep. That was the idea. UK residents might know more about this, but I think the practice was commonplace with football hooligans at after-match brawls. They'd hand out cards saying "Congratulations,you have just met the Inter City Crew" after they doled out the ass-kickings .

Gang lore...so crazy.

uhh, yeah, that's not exactly the case in chicago. gang members handle business, probably more business than your average joe. So they have cards. Not so much in the spirit of, I just kicked your ass, here's my card, more like I just saved your ass, here's my card.

The gaylords are a huge piece of gang history in the city, and personally I have always been somewhat fascinated by their stories...

brits are funny... "football hooligans"

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Gaylords aint nothing to joke about...dudes are nuts.

2 sects in Chicago Folk and People. Saw a card in there for the Party People...they're Folks. I know there's a story behind why but that one always made me laugh. It's like a Crip gang being called the Blue Bloods.