Dems refuse to shut Gitmo

2»

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If any of these detainees are released into the U.S. and then commit an act of terrorism the political fallout would be a nightmare.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    If any of these detainees are released into the U.S. and then commit an act of terrorism the political fallout would be a nightmare.

Can't we move them all to strategic locations in Texas and Wyoming?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

I think the President's plan calls for them to all be released with a formal apology and be made immediately eligible for citizenship and, of course, public assistance.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

I think the President's plan calls for them to all be released with a formal apology and be made immediately eligible for citizenship and, of course, public assistance.

saudia arabia gives all released gitmo prisoners a house, job and car. they also put them in re-education camps/classes.

saudia arabia gives all released gitmo prisoners a house, job and car. they also put them in re-education camps/classes.

Teaching them how not to get caught next time.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Unfortunately, no it is not that simple. YES IT IS![/b]

You have to mothball or demo your buildings depending on your plan. NO YOU DON'T![/b]

You have personnel to reassign (hello Afghanistan) YOU HAVE TO DO THAT ANYWAY[/b] and prisoners to move/take care of. AND YOU HAVE TO DO THAT ANYWAY[/b]

Don't forget all that equipment you need to transfer. You are not going to just leave all the extra vehicles and parts lying around. WHY NOT?[/b] You got administrative paperwork to archive and remove AND INCRIMINATING EVIDENCE TO DESTROY[/b] from site. THAT'S WHY NOTHING EVER GETS DONE. f*cking BUREAUCRACY[/b]

Skel, chill. I want the blight that is Gitmo closed as much as you do. I was being slightly facetious (notice the going away party part of my post). But I still recognize that its going to cost money to close Gitmo down.

Yeah, its a bureaucratic nightmare, not to mention a toxic political mess. There has been a parade of politicians sayin', "Not In My Backyard!" And that is for the ones we would house in the federal prison system.

They would go nuts about the 100 detainees that are set to be released. A good chunk of them will not be returned to their own countries (mostly Yemeni) because of US fears about those countries' ability to monitor the ex-detainees.

From the Army Times:[/b]
    [Senate Republican leader Mitch] McConnell [KY-R] said asking for $80 million in the bill to close the Guantanamo Bay prison ??? $50 million for moving the detainees and $30 million for administrative and support costs ??? will work against quick passage of the legislation, especially because the administration has not announced what it plans to do with the more than 200 detainees."

80 frackin million. That is $320,000/per detainee if "more than 200" is 250 prisoners. I can't find the current actual numbers.

This is just a power play by American politicians right now because these guys are going to be transferred to the US (both the prison system and the outside world). No politician (Republican or Democrat) wants to go into an election with "he allowed terrorists to be set loose in our state" hanging over their head.

I know some guys who will close the shop down and reallocate the detainees for about two grand. Gimme a call

Change you can believe in.

1. The Patriot Act
    2. Wiretaps
    3. Military tribunals
    4. Iraq
    5. Afghanistan
    6. Guant??namo

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    I know some guys who will close the shop down and reallocate the detainees for about two grand. Gimme a call

I think the Republicans would spit nails if we hired illegal Mexican labor and "stole" American jobs, especially in a down economy.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Huh?
    What kind of funds do you need to shut the place?

Surely you switch the lights off, shut the door and

You have to mothball or demo your buildings depending on your plan. NO YOU DON'T![/b]

You have personnel to reassign (hello Afghanistan) YOU HAVE TO DO THAT ANYWAY[/b] and prisoners to move/take care of. AND YOU HAVE TO DO THAT ANYWAY[/b]

Don't forget all that equipment you need to transfer. You are not going to just leave all the extra vehicles and parts lying around. WHY NOT?[/b] You got administrative paperwork to archive and remove AND INCRIMINATING EVIDENCE TO DESTROY[/b] from site. THAT'S WHY NOTHING EVER GETS DONE. f*cking BUREAUCRACY[/b]

On top of which, they're not closing the base at Guantanamo Bay, just the 9/11 related prison. The rest of the base will still be there.

If the President and a Democrat controlled Congress really wanted to shut Gitmo down, it would. Your argument that the only thing stopping it, is "the Bureaucracy," is as transparrent as the political hackery in your previous Iraq War thread. Remember that?

Sab you f*ckin idiot don't even know who you're talking to you Republican hack.

• Two words:

SPACE JAIL.

Huh?
    What kind of funds do you need to shut the place?

Surely you switch the lights off, shut the door and

On top of which, they're not closing the base at Guantanamo Bay, just the 9/11 related prison. The rest of the base will still be there.

If the President and a Democrat controlled Congress really wanted to shut Gitmo down, it would. Your argument that the only thing stopping it, is "the Bureaucracy," is as transparrent as the political hackery in your previous Iraq War thread. Remember that?

Sab you f*ckin idiot don't even know who you're talking to you Republican hack.

Does it really matter which one of you I'm addressing, when you all just regurgitate the same democratic talking points anyway.

I'm not a Democrat asshole, and that's your entire repertoire

I'm not a Democrat asshole

You may not be a Democrat asshole, but you're still an asshole.

And you obviously have a soulstrut crush because you think of me all the time. In fact you once posted that you wanted me to suck you of one time to prove it.

And you obviously have a soulstrut crush because you think of me all the time. In fact you once posted that you wanted me to suck you of one time to prove it.

the offer still stands, but i get to hold your nose while you do it.