Dude had an IMMENSE voice

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
...not some pussy falsetto sensitive shit, but a man's voice.And even getting old and croaky, he could still pull a lusty high note from his locker and bark it out at his woman.

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

a couple years ago I found an acetate of a funk track cut at TCB studios in Detroit - the paperwork with it indicated it was intended for Chuck Jackson, but his vocal wasn't on it unfortunately - shame

his Motown albums were sort of a missed opportunity for him - logically him & Motown should have been a good fit - but he just didn't achieve the level of success there that he did on Wand

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    What did you think of his later stuff?

Still cuts it IMHO

btw props on the Carbon Copies
    My pc blew up a minute before bidding ended

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    he seemed to be a few years too late with his "Uptown" soul style. I personally love it...his "I Keep Forgettin'" on Wand is killer. Love the Motown LPs as well. I think part of the lack of success at Motown was that it seemed they only gave him second rate material...They threw him a couple/few good songs, but also a lot of tired/worn out songs...

I picked up an LP of some really early stuff (late 50s era) and while most of it is Nat King Cole/crooner type stuff, there is one really strong R&B track...pity it is pressed liked crap and pretty much unplayable in a DJ context.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    ...not some pussy falsetto sensitive shit, but a man's voice.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I should say though: "Arrives" is my shit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    IN TOUCH WITH HIS FEMININE SIDE

[

no but srsly, sometimes you just wanna hear a manly man.... don't you? (no homo)

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    no but srsly, sometimes you just wanna hear a manly man.... don't you? (no homo)

manly man (No homo)????

sometimes you wanna hear a crazed, screaming, manly man

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    he seemed to be a few years too late with his "Uptown" soul style.

Actually, during the 1961-64 era he was right on time with his uptown soul style. There were others around that same period who had a similar sound - Ben E. King, Brooks O'Dell, Tommy Hunt, and, repping for the females, Maxine Brown. And at the time this was considered deep soul. Wasn't till Stax and Motown exploded around 1965 that this sort of thing was considered passe.

And if you love Chuck Jackson, then you should hear Freddie Scott. Not that he was a Chuck Jackson imitator, but he had a voice that made comparisons unavoidable. He, too, had his first hits in the "uptown soul" era, but I think his best stuff came later on, in the mid-late sixties on the Shout and Probe labels.

I picked up an LP of some really early stuff (late 50s era) and while most of it is Nat King Cole/crooner type stuff, there is one really strong R&B track...pity it is pressed liked crap and pretty much unplayable in a DJ context.

Is it the self-titled reissue on the Archives label, which included songs like "Hula Lula" and "Ooh Baby," and had a black & white drawing of Chuck on the cover?

I have an incredible single on ABC, "I Can't Break Away," but I've never heard the album it came from.

Is it the self-titled reissue on the Archives label, which included songs like "Hula Lula" and "Ooh Baby," and had a black & white drawing of Chuck on the cover?

yeah, thats the one

I meant his uptown style of singing was too late for his Motown-era which started in 66 or 67, I believe...

yeah, thats the one

I was just listening to that the other week, and had more or less the same reaction you did. At least two of those songs sound like they weren't by Chuck at all (and one of those is an instrumental).

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    this isn;t the same chuck jackson that was in the soul searchers right?

this isn;t the same chuck jackson that was in the soul searchers right?

thats chuck brown

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

I have an incredible single on ABC, "I Can't Break Away," but I've never heard the album it came from.

thats off this one

honestly though, that album is pretty shitty to me. maybe 3 good songs IMO

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

thats off this one

braeks

honestly though, (Through All Times by Chuck Jackson) is pretty shitty to me. maybe 3 good songs IMO

braeks
    "braeks."

if that's the best thing you can say about it, then it's about as useful as tits on a bull

this is the acetate:

http://greatlakessoul.com/ebay_clips/tcbinstrumentalacetate.mp3

as is, it's a cool Dave Hamilton rhythm section track - would have been interesting to hear Chuck singing over it + vibes & a subtle string arrangement or something - perhaps it did come to fruition & I'm just totally overlooking it?

That's a niiiice backing, just on the right side of sparse.

Few crackles on there though; US VG-, UK NM

ps If your carbon copies buyer flakes out I'll take it on

Honestly, how does 3 good tracks qualify an album as 'shitty'?

'Through All Times': a sizeable two step/modern play BITD
    'Rollercoaster': powerful blaxpo vibes with an underlying brutality

Srsly, what's not to like?

haha

btw: the CC's was paid immediately - a certain well known sister funk loving chap

dang

btw the reish is.... unextraordinary.

great record

I'll miss it!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Honestly, how does 3 good tracks qualify an album as 'shitty'?

'Through All Times': a sizeable two step/modern play BITD
    'Rollercoaster': powerful blaxpo vibes with an underlying brutality

Srsly, what's not to like?

i mean, there are 11 songs on the album. if theres 3 good songs its a shitty album

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    One of my all-time favorites, this one.
    One of the best voices in all of soul.