Dame Dash vs Def Jam circa '03.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
This may be old news/late pass, but I just saw these videos online. Pretty interesting. They occur right at the time of the Dame/Jay-Z beef. Guess Def Jam was having a secret meeting about the Black Album and Dame crashed it, angry for obvious reasons:

Choke No Jokes: Dame Dash's outburst Pt 3 and Jay-Z in Puerto Rico from Miss Info on Vimeo.

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    this seems treacherous... man, that shit fell apart on dame.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i hate Dame

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I bet this doc is a weak attempt by Dash to dig himself out of his bankruptcy mess. He probably got backstabbed by the suits but he seems like a chump. Posh Spice

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Everyone hates Dame.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    The moral of the story is: check your goddamn email.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    "No one needs you, get outta here go clear a sample or sumptin"

• are these intended to make him look good ?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Choke no joke needs to report to the rap name thread. Especially since it's 2009 now.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    God. shit like this is why the music industry sucks.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    what a prick.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    love that no one has love 4 dame...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I honestly don't see why all of you are bagging on Dame. If YOU worked your ass off and built a successful business would you be happy if a corporation came and had plans to snuff you and take it? Regardless if he is a major A Hole, I have to agree with him on these videos. I remember the first time I met Clark Kent like 20 years ago. I thought he was a major a hole. Which he was but I think he has chilled out over the years. I'm riding with Dame on these ones. Someone said this is the problem with the music industry? I don't know if they meant Dame or Def Jam?! But the problem is everyone runs around like little bitches an no rides no more. More power to Dame. I know he didn't play the game right and that is why he is where he is at this point. However, at the end of the day he was right. Jay was NOT a def jam artist.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I'd really like to know where he went "wrong". What was the one turning point where shit fell apart.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm bagging on Dame cause he's a real prick. I know a gang of people that have dealt with him on both a personal and professional level, both in and out of the music business and he is an arrogant, mean person, straight prep school motherfucker overcompensating. F*ck him.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    no doubt.

im just wondering how a dude goes from being pretty succesful to laughable.

hot wife divorce, lost the pro keds deal,etc.

• I'm bagging on Dame cause he's a real prick. I know a gang of people that have dealt with him on both a personal and professional level, both in and out of the music business and he is an arrogant, mean person, straight prep school motherfucker overcompensating. F*ck him.

Perhaps the most instantly unlikeable person I have ever encountered.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i have never met the guy and never will but anyone who busts into a meeting regardless if their initial reason was right or wrong, posturing like that, being verbally and physically intimidating, swearing, and acting like a dickhead should get bounced.

the guy kept demanding to know why he was not notified about the meeting yet clearly he and his team were, it is not the others fault that this guy does not check his email.

yet when they repeatedly tried to explain their position he abused them, yelled, swore, paced the room and cut them off with further requests for them to explain what they had just tried to explain.

then when they left the room he personally abused them.

what a chump

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I don't know Dame or have never met him. I did go to his office numerous times yet he was never there when I was and everyone I know that knows him said it was good that he wasn't because he is a major a hole. I was just stating that I was feeling his anger with his co. That is obviously no way to attend a meeting. Hence his position these days.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I've never been in a meeting like this. A couple times a guy has forgotten to mute his phone during a conference call or something, but nothing like this. Are any of you in meetings like this? I'd love it. I may even pay attention.

also: horrible rapper on the horrible song.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    "Yall aint better than me!"

Hahaha, he sounds so insecure every time he says that. Like he thinks they really might be better than him deep down inside, and it hurts him.

If they are stealing his main artist, well guess what, it's f*cking business.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    If I was Dame in the situation he was in at that time, I would probably be acting the same way. Jay was his bread and butter.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I honestly don't see why all of you are bagging on Dame. If YOU worked your ass off and built a successful business would you be happy if a corporation came and had plans to snuff you and take it? Regardless if he is a major A Hole, I have to agree with him on these videos.

^^^^^ THIS

But the really tragic part is Choke No Joke's raps!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Kevin Liles: Handle your business nigga!

Dame Dash: What do you mean by that?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I honestly don't see why all of you are bagging on Dame. If YOU worked your ass off and built a successful business would you be happy if a corporation came and had plans to snuff you and take it? Regardless if he is a major A Hole, I have to agree with him on these videos.

^^^^^ THIS

But the really tragic part is Choke No Joke's raps!

But it wasn't necessarily (or maybe not JUST) the corporation muscling in, was it? Don't you think Jay-Z was part of if not behind these power moves?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Indeed - which is what I think is hinted at at the end with the knife-twisting revelation that Jay is doing a Def Jam party.

I'm not even trying to say dude didn't deserve it (I have no idea) - it's just painful watching it go down is all.