DAMU THE FUDGEMUNK

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm not going to listen to music by a guy who calls himself Damu the Fudgemunk on general principle.

I feel that way about Hudson Mohawke.

And this is from the guy that went by Trouser Lopez for a while.

Actually who am i kidding. Trouser Lopez was a GREAT name.

Trouser Lopez is an excellent name. Fudgemunk? Not so much.

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    Boring and repitive. the 90's was 20 years ago...

I love how some cats think they can just loop up a Bob James sample and put a breakbeat over it proclaiming it's "real hip-hop"
    it's a new age... come up with new ideas

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    quit hatting excessively

he is DJ DAY and waxpo approved

this might stirrup some ss catnip

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    HOLLA ATCHA BOI

IMG SRC=http://b3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01188/32/70/1188180723_l.jpg>
    IMG SRC=http://b1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01191/16/10/1191270161_l.jpg>

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Well if DJ Day went by Dayglo The Poo-Preist I probably wouldn't listen to his music either.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Even the low poast count beat dudes aren't chiming in for this guy.

Says a lot methinks.

I think all the dudes riding for him are in Germany.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I mean, dude might be the homie... I would tell my homie the same thing, "stop looping up that Nancy Wilson & Cannonball Adderley record, dude."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    it reminds me of Fat Jon

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    that mpc pic is hilarious though

• Don't hate, dudes are just reinterpreting the classics - Just like this:

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I mean, dude might be the homie...

So he's German, too?

• So you guys feel the same way about Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings and all those bands?

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    it is what it is. i just couldnt hang with the Y Society album because it sounded like it was digitally distorting the whole time. i felt like it let down the listen...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    So you guys feel the same way about Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings and all those bands?

See, the whole new funk/soul movement illustrates my earlier point about dogmatism not necessarily being a bad thing. Yes, a fair share of them came/come across as JB epigons, but then there's a handful that actually managed to inject their own identity into the box they set up for themselves. Sharon Jones & The Dap-King definitely have their own identity IMO.

This Damu fella's beats just lack personality. Like Paycheck said, it sounds like some third tier Buckwild/Showbiz/Pete Rock outtakes from 93-95. And even at that time I was getting tired of that sound pretty quickly because there was so many followers with the loud-ass ??ber-quantized TSI-TSI-TSI-TSI 8th note hihats and jazzy loops over Little Feat breaks. It was getting really boring. I know the "real" rap fans love that era, but a lot of the east coast production from that time was stiff as hell.

I'm all for bringing back what was good about the style, but at least try to give it your own spin. And try to find some samples we haven't heard a zillion times before.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Im as bored with this whole throwback/backpack sound as the next guy. But Damu is one of the better producers out there. I guess for some of you thats not sayin much about the state of the game but hey what ever floats your boat.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    what the F*ck is a fudgemunk?

is this a chipmunk who hordes fudge instead of nuts?

this is really dudes name?

fudgemunk...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I like some throwback shit. I love big ass loops. I jam Daptone stuff all day. It's not about that.

Dudes are trying to defend these tracks on some "I guess you guys just don't like REAL HIP-HOP." But Show and Buck and Primo are still around. And they don't even make beats like this any more. We all have those records... can pull them out at any time. Maybe homie has some other stuff that's different, so I don't want to judge but the two above just sound unoriginal.

"Back in the days you'd get stepped to for biting. Nowadays suckers they be finding it exciting."

There. I've gone and dropped a quote from Guru. Look what you've made me do!

I just don't see why any of you are trying to take this guy seriously. He doesn't even take himself seriously. HE NAMED HIMSELF THE FUDGEMUNK[/b].

THE F*CKING[/b]/FONT>

FUDGEMUNK[/b]/FONT>

• I think it's time for me to admit that the name is ridiculous. What would a fudgemonk be anyway?

• plogoplogo 6 Posts
    i like this oc remix he did.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    rampage the last boyscout

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    So you guys feel the same way about Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings and all those bands?

See, the whole new funk/soul movement illustrates my earlier point about dogmatism not necessarily being a bad thing. Yes, a fair share of them came/come across as JB epigons, but then there's a handful that actually managed to inject their own identity into the box they set up for themselves. Sharon Jones & The Dap-King definitely have their own identity IMO.

This Damu fella's beats just lack personality. Like Paycheck said, it sounds like some third tier Buckwild/Showbiz/Pete Rock outtakes from 93-95. And even at that time I was getting tired of that sound pretty quickly because there was so many followers with the loud-ass ??ber-quantized TSI-TSI-TSI-TSI 8th note hihats and jazzy loops over Little Feat breaks. It was getting really boring. I know the "real" rap fans love that era, but a lot of the east coast production from that time was stiff as hell.

I'm all for bringing back what was good about the style, but at least try to give it your own spin. And try to find some samples we haven't heard a zillion times before.

WORD EM UP

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    i like this oc remix he did.

With O.C. on top this works much better for me. Still nothing to write home about but much better than the two instrumentals posted before.

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    "boom.. boomkuh, baboomboom kuh"

• DB cooper do you find yourself using the phrase "no homo" often?

he explains the name in this vid, not like it makes any more sense, funny though

&volAudio
    DB cooper do you find yourself using the phrase "no homo" often?

Never, actually. Does your question have something to do with that video I didn't watch?

• No, in the video he just explains the name

No, in the video he just explains the name

Aha. Seeing as I can't really watch video at work, care to give a quick breakdown?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Aha. Seeing as I can't really watch video at work, care to give a quick breakdown?

He's inspired by Willie Wonka and The Chocalate Factory - FUDGE/Skin Color

Tamu is a Shaolin Monk - DAMU

Presto...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

He's inspired by Willie Wonka and The Chocalate Factory - FUDGE/Skin Color

Tamu is a Shaolin Monk - DAMU

Presto...

well that was simple.