DAMU THE FUDGEMUNK

kennykenny 1,024 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
i recently came across this guy's albums and i think they are both pretty damn good! ??anyway, that is all.

Comments

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    He's talented no doubt, but maybe too conservative for his own good. Holding on to some of those golden age ideals (and recording at 78 or whatever on an MPC2000 to save sample time) seems a bit backward for a young dude in his early twenties, and I think it holds back his music.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Nah never that. Dudes drums are crispy and have swing and he always uses nice samples. Who really cares if he records samples at 45 or not.

Nah never that. Dudes drums are crispy and have swing and he always uses nice samples. Who really cares if he records samples at 45 or not.

I don't care if he records his samples at 69, I'm just saying that rigidly adhering to some TRUE SCHOOL aesthetic often results in some boring music, and at his worst that's what Damu's making.

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    hertzdog:

doesnt matter what gear he uses..
    ive made three beat tapes on a SP1200 as a standalone machine that sounds way more "new" than his stuff..
    peep this: http://fredfades.goodshitradio.com/?p=98

thing is... ive been checking out lots of his stuff, and bought some of his stuff aswell, but i've heard lots of "cooler stuff" (IMO) from him that i cant understand why he has'nt released.

i think he is dope, but some of his stuff is a little "too straight" for me. i guess he just have a bigger love for supertraditional hiphop than me.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    discovering all his free mixtapes in one shot was quite something
    very talented dude

• LumpLump 30 Posts
    Here's his blog...
    http://wonkabeats.blogspot.com/

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Stuck in the past. Boring.

• I've enjoyed his output and see no reason to criticize.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Hmmm, I wasn't really that familiar with this dude before this thread, but judging from what I can hear on his blog it sounds pretty to me. And it's not about the throwback sound/conservatism or whatever. Being dogmatic is not necessarily a bad thing. His music just seems a little lifeless. There are a lot of other cats with a related aesthetic (like the homie fredfades) who are way more interesting.

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I was hoping this thread was from Delay, about another opportunity to introduce Jeru.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Yeah I thought this was a joke thread about jeru too!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Yeah I thought this was a joke thread about jeru too!

I didn't, although I will admit that the moniker "Fudgemunk" is pretty Perverted, word to Afu-Ra.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    the name is certainly PASUE-worthy.

hertzdog:

doesnt matter what gear he uses..
    ive made three beat tapes on a SP1200 as a standalone machine that sounds way more "new" than his stuff..

i think he is dope, but some of his stuff is a little "too straight" for me. i guess he just have a bigger love for supertraditional hiphop than me.

Fred, I've heard your stuff and I like it. I didn't mean to make a big deal about what he does with his sampler. It's just that treating an mpc2000 like a vintage machine seems ass backwards to me. And some of that same stubbornness of clinging to the past comes through in his music as well.

To reiterate: I think he's a talented dude, I just wish he'd expand his horizons a bit.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    schitt sounds great and is better than 99,99% of things currently released as rap.

People complaing about that it sounds backwards/dated, what do you want to hear?

Synth beats, dillaesque things, autotune ?????????????

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    ^ You sound German

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    I'ma just let the man's work speaks for itself:

b/w

if people call this shit boring, then I really dunno what hip-hop is suppose to sound like, I mean what do i know...

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Boring.

The Drums are just running through in endless, lifeless sameness. First one sounds like LOTUG and O.C. "Word...Life" thrown together with worse drumsounds and some uninspired filter noodling.
    Remakes are fine if they at least add something to the original. But this ...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Sounds like O.C. outtakes/remixes

Show, Buckwild, and many others did this sound, better, 15 years ago.

There's plenty of good sample-based music being made that isn't retreading other people's beats from 1994.

There's a middle ground between this and autotune. Come on now

• LempoLempo 22 Posts
    Ha, people said the same things about PUTS and Ugly Duckling before Thes and Young Einstein started to post here.

If damu was a strutter it would be all

• Mods, can we get a "NSFW" warning for this thread. My boss had to wake me up after I clicked play. Thanks a lot.

Ha, people said the same things about PUTS and Ugly Duckling before Thes and Young Einstein started to post here.

If damu was a strutter it would be all

I wasn't involved in these older discussions. PUTS and UD may be retro but they have at least some tunes I would still play today if they were recorded 15 years ago. They have some fun songs that can rock a party. That Damu stuff just sounded like uninspired rap instrumentals with warmed up golden age samples.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Even the low poast count beat dudes aren't chiming in for this guy.

Says a lot methinks.

Even the low poast count beat dudes aren't chiming in for this guy.

Says a lot methinks.

Please explain. Is music knowledge and taste increasing proportionally with the number of posts?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    You've been here since 2003 and don't know what he's talking about???

You've been here since 2003 and don't know what he's talking about???

I was on for 5 years. So, not exactly.

• god damn this thread hurts, check out 1993 pete
    peace to damu

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm not going to listen to music by a guy who calls himself Damu the Fudgemunk on general principle.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm not going to listen to music by a guy who calls himself Damu the Fudgemunk on general principle.

I feel that way about Hudson Mohawke.

And this is from the guy that went by Trouser Lopez for a while.

Actually who am i kidding. Trouser Lopez was a GREAT name.