Skip Pitts needs help...please read

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Skip Pitts...player of the legendary "Shaft" riff, Guitar player on the Isley's "Its your thing" LP, all of the 70s Rufus Thomas stuff, John Gary Williams, Al Green's guitarist for the last 20 years...and countless other records is in need of medical help:from Scott Bomar (Bandleader/Producer of the Bo-Keys, one of Skip's many gigs)Hello everyone,I wanted to write you today to let you know Charles ???Skip??? Pitts and his wife, Beverly are in dire need of our help.Last year Skip began experiencing severe back pain. This impaired his ability to work, and eventually led to doctors discovering he had a growth on one of kidneys. They have decided to remove the kidney. Skip does not have health insurance, therefore he is not able to receive quality medical care�"and as a result, his surgery has been canceled and rescheduled twice.In early March Skip passed out at his home because the medicine he had been taking for years for his diabetes had stopped working. He was rushed to the emergency room and spent a few days in the hospital while the doctors stabilized his blood sugar. Skip has now been prescribed a new, more expensive, medicine to control his Diabetes and once this is under control, he will then be having the surgery on his kidney.Needless to say, Skip has not been able to work since all of this started happening and his wife Beverly has had to miss a lot of work while she takes care of Skip during this difficult time.I am writing you today on behalf of Skip and Beverly to ask for financial assistance to get them through this rough time. They need our help to cover the costs of prescriptions and medical bills until Skip can recover and he and Beverly can both get back to work. They are grateful for any sort of assistance you may be able to offer.Please make your check or money order payable to Friends of Charles ???Skip??? Pitts for deposit in a special account set up at Independent Bank.You may mail your donation to me:Friends of Charles ???Skip??? Pitts c/o Electraphonic Recording, 777 S Main St, Memphis, TN 38106 or stop by any Independent Bank and make or wire a direct deposit. Any amount will be appreciated to get some medical relief for Skip.http://www.i-bankonline.com/Thank you,Scott BomarSkip's Friend and Fellow Memphis MusicianPS: Please forward this to anyone you think may be able to help !

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    wow...55 whole views...

a soul legend is very ill, thought that is something the strut would be concerned about...

more interest on a thread about a scumbag racist misogynist country artist, you rule soulstrut!

Im going to keep bumping this as I feel it is important...argubaly the greatest and most important funk guitarists of the 70s is very ill folks. I know not everyone can contribute $$, but some words of concern that I could forward him from this thread might help his spirits, you know? Im surprised the strut seems to not care at all about this...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    No-one seems willing to respond on this, so here is a personal view. It may not be representative, but I'm willing to believe at least some out there share it:

Al Green's guitarist for the last 20 years

So what is Al Green doing about the guy's plight? I know not how much the medication and associated bills are, and even less about Al Green's finances, but to cite a recent example, Rod Stewart: you look after your old musos. If Al Green is destitute, I can understand the cash appeal. Please speak on it.

You may mail your donation to me:

Friends of Charles ???Skip??? Pitts c/o Electraphonic Recording, 777 S Main St, Memphis, TN 38106 or stop by any Independent Bank and make or wire a direct deposit. Any amount will be appreciated to get some medical relief for Skip.
    www. i bank on line. com

This doesn't fill one with confidence as to the legitimacy of the appeal. Maybe folks are donating and not posting about it. Understandable in both instances.

more interest on a thread about a scumbag racist misogynist country artist, you rule soulstrut!

That doesn't help.

Im surprised the strut seems to not care at all about this...

Dudes on here DO care, and prove it often. Times are hard. Charity begins at home. Folks' top priority right now is to recession-proof their lives.

Get well Skip, hope you get what you need.

No-one seems willing to respond on this, so here is a personal view. It may not be representative, but I'm willing to believe at least some out there share it:

Al Green's guitarist for the last 20 years

So what is Al Green doing about the guy's plight? I know not how much the medication and associated bills are, and even less about Al Green's finances, but to cite a recent example, Rod Stewart: you look after your old musos. If Al Green is destitute, I can understand the cash appeal. Please speak on it.

You may mail your donation to me:

Friends of Charles ???Skip??? Pitts c/o Electraphonic Recording, 777 S Main St, Memphis, TN 38106 or stop by any Independent Bank and make or wire a direct deposit. Any amount will be appreciated to get some medical relief for Skip.
    www. i bank on line. com

This doesn't fill one with confidence as to the legitimacy of the appeal. Maybe folks are donating and not posting about it. Understandable in both instances.

That doesn't help.

Im surprised the strut seems to not care at all about this...

Dudes on here DO care, and prove it often. Times are hard. Charity begins at home. Folks' top priority right now is to recession-proof their lives.

Get well Skip, hope you get what you need.

The Al Green sitiuation makes me scratch my head also...but Im not going to not try and help because "some rich guy should do it". Hell I am only able to give about $20 myself, so I know it is a bad time to ask for money. Just wanted to put this out there that someon improtant to what we love is sick and in need...

Also, I said I knew people probably wouldnt be able to contribute money...I also said some kind words might help if he knew some fans from all over appreciated him and as much as Tough Guys, Truck Turner, Itch and Scratch, The Whole Damn world's gone crazy and other tunes he has played on has been talked about on here,
    I know there are dudes who love this guys music...stuff like that helps. All I can say is that this is legit, I know Skip and the writer of the plea so this sint a scam if that is what you are worried about...but I just assumed some concern might be shown in the form of a kind word. And as far as my talking shit about another thread...Ive been on here since 2002/2003 and folks know how I act and that I talk shit a lot, so I will talk shit if so inclined...

Show Skip your love

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Show Skip your love

I have shown my love by buying, playing and getting down to his music for over a decade.

the mans music has had a profound effect on my life. that sounds cheesy when i read it back but F*ck it, the man is a legend.

a donation will be sent.

maaaaan, the breakfaces i have pulled to his music are legendary.

sad news, i hope it works out and my thoughts are with him and his family.

there will be a paypal button soon im told. I know the whole studio thing seems weird, but it is a real studio that does real work and it is where Skip does a lot of recording. The bank thing is also a pain in the ass, but this plea was a local plea here in Memphis and I am just passing it on....

thanks!

• DeanDean 14 Posts
    Well thanks for bringing to my attention. I'll be on to Bomar today to get something done.
    Skip was an absolute gem when I met him with Scott a few years ago, and played on so many great records. It's a shame to hear that he's in a bad way.

D

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Bump

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    hook up, if you post/pm your paypal address can i just send you some money and let you pass it on to the right people? i don't have any checks right now and it just seems easier that way. i want to at least give 10 lousy bucks or something.

not really sure why everyone on here couldn't just paypal 1 dollar to hook up.
    1 buck for a guitar player you love. there's how many people on here reading this?...

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    wow...55 whole views...

a soul legend is very ill, thought that is something the strut would be concerned about...

It might help if you had a better title. I'm sure not everyone knows Skip Pitts by name (I didn't). Try changing the title to something the general SS populace would recognize.

You may also try something with more urgency like, "IS DYING AND NEEDS OUR HELP" - just saying he needs help sounds like he needs someone to jumpstart his car.