Booker T Jones Appreciation

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
We are very lucky that when producing Bill Withers first lp, Jones knew to let Bill and his guitar be just who they were. The simple laidback production lets those songs sing. He did the same thing for Willie Nelson when Willie did an lp of standards back in the 70s.I'm not to familiar with the Booker T and Priscilla records, they used to choke the $1 bins but I don't see them much any more. I had an upstairs neighbor who played that Rita Coolidge record nonstop for days, so I can't say I ever want to hear it again. Any other post Stax productions I should know about. He was also wrote some songs, produced some records, backed some artists, and had his own band in the 60s at Stax records.In the Stax docu he is so elegant contrasted with Dunn and Cropper.He took a few years off from making hit records to get his college degree.

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Their Abbey Road album gets MOAR_BURNN than The Beatles'.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I understand that Booker T. made a solo album in '74 (Evergreen) that was headed towards the same folk-funk sound that Withers had...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I understand that Booker T. made a solo album in '74 (Evergreen) that was headed towards the same folk-funk sound that Withers had...

I haven't heard all of his 70s LPs yet, but the ones I've heard were too inconsistent to bother keeping - and that was one of them. I think I've still got it in a box of stuff to sell and I meant to listen to it once more before letting it go, though.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

this album's really nice. i actually ripped my copy for a friend the other day, can upload it later. that is, if jonny's ok with my doing so

i keed, i keed.

in other news, booker t's about to release a new album backed by the drive-by-truckers, i'm psyched to see him play at Jazz Fest, and the magazine i work for is about to do an interview with him

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Booker T. was actually going to recording school here in the Bay Area not long ago. There was an article about it in the SF Chronicle. He was trying to catch up with all the latest technology.

I've only heard one of his post MG's albums, can't remember the title but it was with his wife. Was completely forgettable to me.

• He's doing an album right now on Anti that's pretty cool. When I worked at Tramps I sat a foot away from his Leslie cabinet and smoked joints all night while Booker T and the MG's got down. Top 10 night of my life.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

That has a great instrumental track, "Flamingo", that has long been a favorite of mine.

• His playing on Melting Pot always gets me. He really knew how to work that Hammond with finesse.