Anette Peacock Appreciation

CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Saw her mentioned in two separate threads and wanted to start a fresh one on her. Sooooo much good music from her.Strutters probably want "I'm the One", but I think her string of late seventies albums are great too. Cheap and good. I'm still surprised by how many times I see this in the cheap bins. "My mother never taught me how to cook". Brilliant. I like this too.Anyone else got recommendations?

Comments

• she's just great. AK posted a song from what i guess is her first album that has suddenly put it near the top of my wants.

both of those albums are beyond amazing- her lyrics are also really subversive ie. "mother never taught me how to cook" is about the joy of incest.

she also has a really great sense of humour. in the middle of that tune she starts to rap these horrible pick up lines men are throwing at her: "hey baby i want to suck your honey, i want to cop your conception; take your energy, absorb your vibe and preach your philosophy".

• Cheap and good. I'm still surprised by how many times I see this in the cheap bins. "My mother never taught me how to cook". Brilliant.

I picked this one up recently - agree that it's a great album.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    She also art-directed her own albums. Nice.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    she's just great. AK posted a song from what i guess is her first album that has suddenly put it near the top of my wants.

both of those albums are beyond amazing- her lyrics are also really subversive ie. "mother never taught me how to cook" is about the joy of incest.

she also has a really great sense of humour. in the middle of that tune she starts to rap these horrible pick up lines men are throwing at her: "hey baby i want to suck your honey, i want to cop your conception; take your energy, absorb your vibe and preach your philosophy".

Worrrrrrrd to the peacock

AK, whats that annette peacock album like, never heard of that one...

it's hawt.
    f*ckin weird
    i put this song from it on one of my 'Ladies On Stage' mixes

she says genius things like "i don't ask questions, i just enjoy"

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I really need the first one. And I would not say those others are that easy to find.

This is good. From 1997.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    K

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I really need the first one. And I would not say those others are that easy to find.

Really? Maybe its a Scandinavian thing? If so thats pretty weird. I remember seeing her entire late seventies range at so many shops and had no problem scooping X-Dreams, Perfect Release and Been in The Streets Too Long all at once.

I'm a novice beyond those and I'm the One, though, anyone got some more recommendations?