Piano Driven Jazz funk?

TurntablistTurntablist 113 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Just recently I dusted off my copy of Piano explosion with Eric Thoner and remembered how good Nofretete's headache was. I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions for simillar tracks with some heavy piano driven tracks. Something along the lines of:Monty Alexander's: MonticelloNowy's: Escalation etc Just in case if you haven't heard Nofretete's headache:http://www.norrortvinyl.com/mp3/pianoexplosionnofretetesheadache.mp3Thanks T[Altered to all countries]

Comments

• get piano conclave-palais anthology

Looks good I see there's a fender rhodes so I'm sold

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    get piano conclave-palais anthology

gihungous

heat on this MPS gem. Full melt.

• Thanks everyone for the posts keep them coming!

I had a preview of Conclave - Palais Anthology but I wasn't really too sure about it, any other suggestions?

On a seperate note came across La Avispa by The Rainbow Orchestra, definitely worth a listen if you have the time.

T

• i cant think of much else other than that ken rhodes album but the tenorio jr LP in your avatar is even if it aint from germany

• i cant think of much else other than that ken rhodes album but the tenorio jr LP in your avatar is even if it aint from germany

It is a fantastic LP shame about the price $500 or so, but interesting to hear what happened to him if you don't already know.

I've really got into the hard hitting piano, not crazily fast jazz but something with real drive if you know what i mean, the Nofretete's headache sums it all up, I checked the Ken Rhodes album and there was definitely a track on there which caught my attention.

T

• that track will probably be the title track- the profile, its my favourite track. If you wanna peep the rest of the album get it here:
    Ken Rhodes - The Profile

im curious to know what happened to tenorio jr if theres some recent news that i missed then

p.s. its great to finally see another UK strutter, im kinda sick of the charity shop BS that is always talked about on VG+

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    what's that eric thoner lp go for these days? i regret selling mine on the bay years ago! the break on there is killer too

• Cheers for the link!

In 1976 he was touring Argentina with Vinivius de Moraes and Toquinho and after a presentation at the Teatro Grand Rex, the musicians went to the Hotel Normandie, where they were staying. During the night, the pianist decided to leave in search of medicine and cigarettes and never returned.
    He was then arrested by the secret police and was accused of being against the government, he was then tortured for 9 days by being beaten and electricuted on "the grill". After they decided he wasn't anything to do the opposition they shot him in the head, and his remains were never returned to his family."

Pretty sad really.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NaRgOsnNnps/Rl...junior_foto.jpg

I agree it is good to see another person from the UK, don't even get me started on charity shops!

• what's that eric thoner lp go for these days? i regret selling mine on the bay years ago! the break on there is killer too

It's never really changed, it's still about ??30 - 40. I remember paying I think about ??20 for mine off Superfly.

• recordkingz.com over here in the uk has the thoner lp for ??45 so it would actually get about ??30 probably now (recordkingz- always on the crazy overpricing trip). Can anyone provide an empeefree of the thoner album?

• Can anyone provide an empeefree of the thoner album?

Recordkingz is based in the UK??

I have the full mp3 of nofretete's headache because the entire track was worth the time to take it off the vinyl. As for the rest there are a couple of good drum breaks but your best bet would be to have a listen here:

http://www.norrortvinyl.com/soulfunk1.html

• yeah recordkingz is based in the uk but ive never used them- the combination of their pretty limited stock and ridiculous prices makes them
    that piano explosion LP is really good- kinda break-centric; will be putting that on my to buy list!

• yeah recordkingz is based in the uk but ive never used them- the combination of their pretty limited stock and ridiculous prices makes them

I agree, though it is pretty useful if you want to check snippets of the lp. The prices are just crazy though, I find Superflyrecords.com slightly cheaper I've bought from them a couple of times.

• on the superflyrecords rep- great dudes!

• proteusproteus 77 Posts
    I've never understood why monticello wasn't called inner city blues?

on the german mps piano only tip, how about francy boland - out of the background or mary lou williams - black christ of the andes (ignoring it was first released on us label mary)

why just german? i'm sure you'd like things like ray bryant - up above the rock (cadet), etc etc...

On that tenorio comment, I'd pick up the official re-release by RGE, it came out in '89 and is a better pressing than the og

• i was going to lay out for a copy of the 89 repress on ebay the other day but i dont have enough to cover it, theres also a recent japanese reissue which costs about the same as the 89 reissue- but probably a little bit better sounding.

• I've never understood why monticello wasn't called inner city blues?

on the german mps piano only tip, how about francy boland - out of the background or mary lou williams - black christ of the andes (ignoring it was first released on us label mary)

why just german? i'm sure you'd like things like ray bryant - up above the rock (cadet), etc etc...

On that tenorio comment, I'd pick up the official re-release by RGE, it came out in '89 and is a better pressing than the og

To be honest I was the other way around I always wondered why it was called inner city blues not Monticello!

On the suggestions cheers for those I'll check them out, recently I've just found that the German stuff I've come across seems to encompass what I'm after though I'm happy for any suggestions, German just seemed to sum it up.

I'll look into the 89 version, was always tempted by the og though