Philly what's up with this Spectrum situation?

AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I'm getting a news feed to my phone here about the Spectrum in Philly being demolished.Sad. Anyone heard the deal? If you were raised in Philly you know. I saw Hall and Oates there on the Private Eyes tour with my family when I was little and after that many concerts and constant Sixers games. Formed my first mega-crush in my life on the beautiful Dr. J there and stared at him constantly from my pops seats.... was never allowed to have cotton candy though but I drank a lot of ginger ale there. Every friday night for a huge chunk of my life.this photo is on the feed...... what's the word?

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    i was supposed to be going to the last game at the Spectrum on friday but my wife got sick so i couldn't go to the last game at the Spectrum.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    sorry dude.......i missed it too.
    how beautiful is this though? A favorite graphic art style of mine on this poster:

*SIGH*

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I heard Barkley say its gettin tore down.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    no mas

• definitely lots of memories there
    and the Vet.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Mad history there...

my aunt was cool was a former cheerleader named Michele... I was in the locker with the cheerleaders while they where changing after a game... I was about 10 years old...

I saw Grover Washington Jr. (RIP) walking in the hall with his son in the locker room area... I knew who he was at the age of 10 and I was almoost as tall as him...

I was about five feet from Doc after a game and he looked at me half expecting me to ask for an autograph...

I walked through a club, bar kinda thing that they had in the spectrum...

I saw Prince perform there in like 87?

I went there alot...

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    I saw so many Sixer games there: Barkley as a rookie, Dr. J, and my first concert Van Halen. Viva the Spectrum. Cosign on the Vet too....

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i saw metallica there!!!

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    Saw KISS there in 1979.

Saw Dr.J do his stuff in the late 70's.

Saw Bruins and Flyers beat the piss out of each other in a bench clearing brawl during the same era.

• The first arena show I ever saw was Utopia at the Spectrum (May '79 I think). It was a killer show, big homecoming for Todd. It was a cool looking arena too. Not something you can say about too many places today.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    So why are they tearing it down? What is going in it's place?