Litter in the Ghetto

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    WOODSY!

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Public trash cans are your best bet.

Where I live, there are cans on every single corner and halfway point between blocks (so there are 8 cans on EVERY block). It seems overkill, but works well, especially for the amount of foot traffic we get.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Try not to get too hostile when you're picking up the trash -- use it as a public education/community involvement moment. Talk to people in a friendly way about how you live in the neighborhood and you are just tired of seeing all this trash around, so you're picking it up.
    you should definitely get a big costume, like barney, or develop a character like super digger the litter bugger (with a "Got records" sign on your back)

I need a way to remind people of this fact that motivates them to keep their area clean--even if it's not their litter.

fines in their mailbox. i got one at one of my properties when i left a trashbag out a day too soon, behind my gate. It was $20, and im not going to pay it, but i am also more aware of when to put out my trash.
    Anytime you pick up in front of people's houses, they should get a warning and then fine.and a smile from you when they thank you.

really not sure how you are going to enforce the random litterer community hours/fine thing unless you get dirty harry and pull your cannon out (pasue). i cant imagine someone littering and you stepping to them, like "name and number please...youve been fined". youll get laughed at as they walk away.

funniest litter confrontation was a story i heard was from my boy ralph. he saw a real large mom and her daughter come out of wendys and the girl just throws her shake on the ground. ralph: excuse me, your kid dropped something. lady: dont tell me how to raise my child. ralph: well, if you want her to be a litter monkey, thats on you. lady: what did you say? you dont know who youre talking to. ralph: easy there big fella....

i forget the rest. the big fella crack sealed it. and while i know "litter monkey" may raise pc eyebrows...ralph isnt white, so maybe its ok?!? who knows. funny as shit regardless.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

funniest litter confrontation was a story i heard was from my boy ralph. he saw a real large mom and her daughter come out of wendys and the girl just throws her shake on the ground. ralph: excuse me, your kid dropped something. lady: dont tell me how to raise my child. ralph: well, if you want her to be a litter monkey, thats on you. lady: what did you say? you dont know who youre talking to. ralph: easy there big fella....

i forget the rest. the big fella crack sealed it. and while i know "litter monkey" may raise pc eyebrows...ralph isnt white, so maybe its ok?!? who knows. funny as shit regardless.

that is amazing.... especially since I have an old friend from high school named Ralph who literally would have said that EXACT same shit to her in verbatim.... he is white though.

"big fella".... LOL

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Apparently the same girl had her feet on the coffee table and was called out for it.

F*ck it. Keeping your shit clean should start at home,

Hey, I don't litter, but I do put my feet up on my coffee table. But it's my coffee table, and I don't have an ottoman. And I like to put my feet up. I see no other solution.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Litter does not stop.
    You pick it up, it comes back.

Most people who litter are kids, under 21, or never grew up.

Like people have said:
    Pick up in your neighborhood.
    Organize neighborhood clean ups.
    Encourage your neighbors to pick up.
    Set out garbage cans. (At my old location I got the city to set up a garbage can, I was responsible for emptying it.)
    Bug your precinct person to get the street sweepers to come through regular.
    I've done or do all these things.
    The cleaner your neighborhood is the less people will litter.

What people have not said:
    Get the corner shops and fast food places near you to start taking responsibility.
    Have them keep their property spotless.
    If they don't write letters and send copies to, the manager, corporate headquarters and local officials.
    Make sure they have trash cans strategically located.
    Have them put up signs reminding their customers not to litter.
    GET A BOTTLE BILL!

I used to confront people about littering.
    More than once I have walked over to parked car. Picked up something they just threw out and hand it to the saying you dropped this.
    I also have picked stuff up asking fools if they wanted me to put it in the trash for them.

I don't do that any more.
    I leave it to the police to enforce the laws.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    ralph: excuse me, your kid dropped something. lady: dont tell me how to raise my child.

I love this. Defensive much? If she had dropped her teddy bear, would the mom have reacted the same way? "Excuse me, you dropped your keys!" "Don't tell me how raise my child!!"

• In the mid-80s, Texas ran these PSA commercials featuring Stevie Ray Vaughan:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amCIP4U2vlM
    (Why can't I embed?)

That was the first time that the phrase "Don't Mess with Texas" had been used, and most non-Texans don't know that it was part of an anti-litter campaign.

I will admit that it had a profound effect on this young SRV fan.

My advice to Fatback is to get Young Leek to record an anti-litter promo.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

Apparently the same girl had her feet on the coffee table and was called out for it.

Hey, I don't litter, but I do put my feet up on my coffee table. But it's my coffee table, and I don't have an ottoman. And I like to put my feet up. I see no other solution.

Millions of children across the globe face this same dilemma daily. I think Bono should throw a benefit concert. It being St. Paddy's Day and whatnot...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Do whatever you want in your own home, DB, but if I see you put your filthy shoes on a public bus seat, I WILL BREAK YOUR LEGS.

I want to take a ball peen hammer to every retard I see put their feet up on the bus seats. Pet peeve I guess.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Do whatever you want in your own home, DB, but if I see you put your filthy shoes on a public bus seat, I WILL BREAK YOUR LEGS.

I want to take a ball peen hammer to every retard I see put their feet up on the bus seats. Pet peeve I guess.

Hah! I don't get down like that. I do, however, sometimes sit in the last seat at the end of the car on the old green line trains and put my feet up on the lockbox that opens the stretcher closet. Boston headz know the deal. However, it's nothing anyone would ever end up touching. Unless, of course, they needed the stretcher. In which case, it being a little dirty is really the least of the concerns at the moment.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    That was the first time that the phrase "Don't Mess with Texas" had been used, and most non-Texans don't know that it was part of an anti-litter campaign.

That one, The Fabulous Thunderbirds and Johnny Dee & The Rocket 88s spots were very memorable for me. I remember growing up with those campaigns as well as general stuff in elementary warding against litter bums and bugs. The clencher for me would be probably joining the Cub Scouts. I didn't get to take part in activities like shooting bows & arrows, making go-karts or anything remotely fun that you'd expect. Instead, I was a part of a "Trash Trek" where we went along the highway and picked-up garbage for a full day. After that, it was pretty clear for me. To this day littering makes me want to kill people.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

You have issues. You always want to beat up everyone, but you wind up beating up no one. Good luck with that.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

That one, The Fabulous Thunderbirds and Johnny Dee & The Rocket 88s spots were very memorable for me. I remember growing up with those campaigns as well as general stuff in elementary warding against litter bums and bugs. The clencher for me would be probably joining the Cub Scouts. I didn't get to take part in activities like shooting bows & arrows, making go-karts or anything remotely fun that you'd expect. Instead, I was a part of a "Trash Trek" where we went along the highway and picked-up garbage for a full day. After that, it was pretty clear for me. To this day littering makes me want to kill people.
    I'm pretty sure it was those commercials that forced me to hate littering to this very day.
    Can't stand littering.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    You should just move to california where nobody litters.

You have issues. You always want to beat up everyone, but you wind up beating up no one. Good luck with that.

It's a joke, son. A joke! I have fun with people on this board who I think have a sense of humor, but that's probably something you need to check out of the local library. Good luck with that!

But if I see your dirty, hackey sack kicking birckestock clogs muddying up any DC buses, IT'S BALL PEEN HAMMERIN' TIME!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

It's a joke, son. A joke! I have fun with people on this board who I think have a sense of humor, but that's probably something you need to check out of the local library. Good luck with that!

But if I see your dirty, hackey sack kicking birckestock clogs muddying up any DC buses, IT'S BALL PEEN HAMMERIN' TIME!

Yeah, you are a kind and gentle type who only jokes every other day about how you want to physically hurt someone who doesn't march lockstep with your recycled program of pussy. And honestly, it's the pussy side I don't believe. You are so obviously just like any other meathead who wants to crush anything not exactly like you. Face it already, as your charade of trumped-up tolerance is frankly unbelievable and corny as F*ck.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I stopped littering because of Goodie MoB.

True story.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    I stopped littering because of Goodie MoB.
    True story.

I've been planning on using that PSA skit in a mix for a minute.

Before the "Don't Mess With Texas" campaign, this was probably my first lesson on littering:

Yeah, you are a kind and gentle type who only jokes every other day about how you want to physically hurt someone who doesn't march lockstep with your recycled program of pussy. And honestly, it's the pussy side I don't believe. You are so obviously just like any other meathead who wants to crush anything not exactly like you. Face it already, as your charade of trumped-up tolerance is frankly unbelievable and corny as F*ck.

I think you need to get back on your meds and get back to informing an uncaring public forum about your private trevails and wacky conspiracy theories. I have no idea what you are rambling about, this time even more than usual.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

I WOULD CRACK YOUR f*ckin PAPERTHIN SKULLS RIGHT NOW IF I COULD. Some of you I just wish were here for SXSW with me being as drunk and surly as I am right now. I would still be beating you pasty chump asses after 15 cop tazes and a horse duly pounding my head into the concrete. They'd have me in the patty wagon with blood streaming from my face and I'd still land a nasty loogie right squae on the bridge of your nose.

I WOULD CRACK YOUR f*ckin PAPERTHIN SKULLS RIGHT NOW IF I COULD. Some of you I just wish were here for SXSW with me being as drunk and surly as I am right now. I would still be beating you pasty chump asses after 15 cop tazes and a horse duly pounding my head into the concrete. They'd have me in the patty wagon with blood streaming from my face and I'd still land a nasty loogie right squae on the bridge of your nose.

Hey, now....in fairness, I was only joking with DB, but Harvey is SERIOUS.
    Sounds like someone needs a f*cking vacation!

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Hey, now....in fairness, I was only joking with DB, but Harvey is SERIOUS.
    Sounds like someone needs a f*cking vacation!

Oh wait.. I got the order wrong. He called you out for joking about physical violence AFTER threatening a SXSW beatdown. FIXED.

#1286620 - Mar 18, 2009 03:23 AM:

#1286627 - Mar 18, 2009 03:40 AM:

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    with your recycled program of pussy.
    is that like sloppy seconds??
    cause i aint never been with no virgin anyway.
    so count me in

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    with your recycled program of pussy.
    is that like sloppy seconds??

cause i aint never been with no virgin anyway.
    so count me in

"Think globally, blap locally" is what I always say.

Harvey. How do you feel about litter? You're in the ghetto, right?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    That's cool about the "don't mess with Texas." I did not know that... The "environmentalists" (or whatever a a-hole Texan would call someone who just doesn't like litter) must be PISSED that the slogan's been appropriated by said a-hole Texans... Like how I can't rock a Doug Henning rainbow shirt or fly my rainbow kite at the park due to them damn gayos making rainbows their own...

myself: I'm currently waiting on a City Garbage Inspector to come out and verify that my apartments' dumpster is indeed overflowing after last week's non-pickup. Then, he'll be able to report back to his Garbage Supervisor that a Special Pickup should be scheduled...thanks, guys. Excellent system we have.

I hate litter, and will immediately come with the "hey--you dropped something" line. I've almost had my ass beaten SO many times...it's my number one almost-get-yer-ass beaten (I'm not going to win any of these fights, trust me) maneuver, followed closely by when I clown on peoples' bikes. I hate stupid bikes.

Here, there's this thing called The Seattle Freeze...passive aggressive to no end, they're paralyzed. Merely talking to a stranger is very bold, so when I come with "hey man, pick that up and keep my city clean!", they miraculously comply. I'm not sure it would happen in any other place on earth; that I'd be able to compel anyone to do anything...

uggghhhh don't mess with texas i'm tripping on that though

• So I know it's matter of ignorance.

With regard to people dropping trash in their own neighborhoods, "ignorance" doesn't fit the bill. Ignorance would mean that you drop a 211 tall can on the ground and then literally have no awareness that it is then lying, and will continue to lie on the ground. Ignorance that when you walk back by the same spot later today, or tomorrow, the 211 can will still be right where you dropped it.

"I had some trash in my hand, but now my hand is empty...go figure."

In many cases, it is instead a matter of taste and aesthetics, even if only subconsciously.

"I grew up surrounded by trash, and my current lifestyle works out just fine surrounded by trash. Lots of trash does not look 'out of place' to me."

In some neighborhoods, the sight of a white guy going around picking up trash or confronting his neighbors about trash is way more out of place than the sight of actual trash itself.

A notable exception to the taste and aesthetics theory: in some cities, like Chicago, where the street sweepers come through early and often, some folks have made the decision to treat the street as one giant public trash receptacle, with the belief that it's the city's job, and that's what the street sweepers are for. I refer to this as the Filthy Payer-of-Sales-Tax theory.

• Options
    There's a corner in my work 'hood that I've been dying to take a photo of, it's one of those "This spot has been beautified by blah blah blah" and it's obvious they looked after it for a week and it was a wrap. I'm working tonight, maybe I'll do it on the way in.

I was noticing the other day the ridiculous amount of cigarette butts that build up at grassy median strips near red lights. Take a look next time your stopped at one of these, it's mind-boggling.