The Strut Inauguration Live Blog

124»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Right now I am watching the live concert.

Carrie Underwood should never try to sing like an African-American backup singer ever again. Cissy Houston she is not. She just sang "If My Heart Had Wings" and tried to do these embarrassing "soul sista-isms" that just did NOT work. I thought I heard her say, "put YO hands together"...

Which show was this?

the one that just ended around 9 PM central time...i saw it on an ABC affiliate, i dont know if the other networks broadcast this...Sting and Stevie Wonder were on it too...

That was Faith Hill and yeah she did slip into a quick Ebonics thing.
    Or she could just be Southern.

Southern, hell - whether it was Faith or Carrie, she sounded pretty f*cking bogus.

Shakira was worse!!!

Meanwhile -

Nas was on BET doin Black Pres.

And Kanye did a good job on MTV.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Jay-Z was terrible

What songs did he do? I caught a clip of him doing "history"...was there something else?

Jay-Z was terrible

What songs did he do? I caught a clip of him doing "history"...was there something else?

Nothin i heard before. It wasnt Hip Hop.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    They didn't have regular first period class today for the inaugeration. It was every teacher for themselves however in getting to see or hear it. Many just had a radio, a few had TVs. I found an old pair of rabbit ears antennas in my closet and brought it in for a slightly fuzzy picture. The class next door came in as well. The best part was when Obama messed up his oath of office.

They didn't have regular first period class today for the inaugeration. It was every teacher for themselves however in getting to see or hear it. Many just had a radio, a few had TVs. I found an old pair of rabbit ears antennas in my closet and brought it in for a slightly fuzzy picture. The class next door came in as well. The best part was when Obama messed up his oath of office.

That was more the CHief Justice's flub, no?

• man, I wanted to live poast from the Capital but no way could anyone get a signal.

It was a long, rough, and cold day. D.C. really dropped the ball on organizing. Straight clusterfuck.

but yo, what I was hassled by today is NOTHING to what people have gone through for this moment. S

Shouts to Deep Sang for letting me crash at this crib.

Wonder-full D.C. was the shit

• Deleted. It used to be a poem.

• Courtesy of the Cake Wrecks Blog:

• i was highly disappointed in my high school and from the sounds of it, many high schools (motown and maddrama). ive been on leave for a couple months, but i went in this morning, fully convinced that there would no doubt be a full student body assembly in the auditorium to watch the inauguration aka history. nope. i kept asking around...shrugs, "we're watching it in our room"s, "the kids wont act right if you put them all together", "i havent heard anything yet".

shit was f*cking pathetic. evry man for themselves, scattered, with no energy. school administration did not give this the weight that it deserved, so of course student interest seemed only moderate.

i was truly embarrassed for the principal who misses every possible opportunity to build community and comraderie and wouldnt know a teachable moment if it nutted in his mouth. i didnt even see him all morning. the douchebag didnt emerge from his cushy office w/swivel chair.

im going to write him a letter. or maybe the city paper.
    crumbling ass schools. no f*cking heart

• and im not feeling that f*cking cake. it looks like big O is grabbing his nuts and saluting hitler.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    and im not feeling that f*cking cake. it looks like big O is grabbing his nuts and saluting hitler.

even worse, it resembles Chico Marx more than it does Barack Obama

i get the impression that all the impressions and illustrations of Obama are gonh be WAY off the mark for the next few years or so

• and im not feeling that f*cking cake. it looks like big O is grabbing his nuts and saluting hitler.

on top of that he looks fat and white...I guess cake art's not easy....

and im not feeling that f*cking cake. it looks like big O is grabbing his nuts and saluting hitler.

even worse, it resembles Chico Marx more than it does Barack Obama

i get the impression that all the impressions and illustrations of Obama are gonh be WAY off the mark for the next few years or so

Dude, the New Yorker made him look like a cross-eyed Denzel in a bad period movie:

One thing that a lot of the TV pundits kept repeating was that this was perhaps the largest gathering of Americans for a single event...ever. True?

• (literally...kinda)

Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th president on Tuesday under tight security. He rode to the Capitol in an armored Cadillac limo, spoke behind a protective glass shield, and wore "bullet-resistant clothing." Is that the same thing as a bulletproof vest?
    Not quite. The vests familiar from cop shows and news footage of SWAT teams are manufactured to be maximally effective with no consideration for how they might look under a dress shirt. It's unclear what brand of body armor Obama sported at the inauguration, but several companies produce discreet, thinner vests that can be worn underneath clothing, inserted into an outer layer (like a coat) or woven into a shirt. Miguel Caballero, a Colombian company, makes bullet-resistant leather jackets, polo shirts, Windbreakers, and ruffled tuxedo shirts, which range from a few hundred dollars to $7,000 in price. There is a trade-off between efficacy and subtlety since, as a rule, it's more expensive to manufacture thin-but-reliable vests and shirts.
    No soft material can provide complete security against all types of bullets or multiple hits in the same place (which is why the term bulletproof is out of vogue), but the National Institute of Justice (the Department of Justice's research agency) has developed standards for determining to what extent a product is "resistant." Type IIA armor, for example, should protect against a 9 mm-caliber, full-metal-jacketed, round-nose bullet traveling at 373 meters per second. Type IIIA (the highest standard for a flexible, as opposed to a hard, material) protects against a 357 SIG flat-nose bullet fired at a velocity of 448 meters per second.
    One of the more common fabrics used in bullet-resistant vests is Kevlar, a lightweight, synthetic fiber that's about five times stronger than a piece of steel of the same weight. Manufacturers use very dense strands of Kevlar???500 to 1,500 filaments per strand of yarn???and weave it into a netting. Then they cover the weave with a plastic film.
    To test body armor, lab technicians coat the inside of the fabric with clay. Then they fire bullets at it. A proper bullet-resistant shirt or vest should not only stop the bullet (i.e., not tear) but also prevent a dent in the clay of more than 44 mm???a larger dent indicates a dangerously high energy transfer, which could result in fatal blunt-force trauma.

http://www.slate.com/id/2209274/

• that was what got me all choked up this morning. Seeing the massive amounts of happy[/b] people gathered there for the same reason. One of the CNN announcers mentioned that when Sasha and Malia were on their way out that the crowd would go nuts at their entrance. It really got to me. I can't even really think of how to put it into words. It was just amazing that people are so excited and have taken to this family as a symbol of hope and change.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    "Birth of a Nation"!!! ewwfffff for days.

That's what I thought.

• cake art's not easy

I want the report from YP as to the D.C. "clusterfuck" he keeps referring to.

Tell 'em why you mad, son!

• wouldnt know a teachable moment if it nutted in his mouth.

Excellent

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    i was highly disappointed in my high school and from the sounds of it, many high schools (motown and maddrama). ive been on leave for a couple months, but i went in this morning, fully convinced that there would no doubt be a full student body assembly in the auditorium to watch the inauguration aka history. nope. i kept asking around...shrugs, "we're watching it in our room"s, "the kids wont act right if you put them all together", "i havent heard anything yet".

shit was f*cking pathetic. evry man for themselves, scattered, with no energy. school administration did not give this the weight that it deserved, so of course student interest seemed only moderate.

i was truly embarrassed for the principal who misses every possible opportunity to build community and comraderie and wouldnt know a teachable moment if it nutted in his mouth. i didnt even see him all morning. the douchebag didnt emerge from his cushy office w/swivel chair.

im going to write him a letter. or maybe the city paper.
    crumbling ass schools. no f*cking heart

Interesting... I was getting rid of some stuff on CL yesterday and one guy who came was a teacher from a Brooklyn ghetto school (his words). He was bemoaning the fact that none of the students had the slightest inkling of the significance of the moment and 3 separate fights broke out just moments before Obama took the oath. He was bitter as F*ck.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Patrick was freezing in his bunny suit.

And that is why the cake was posted up at Cake Wrecks Blog[/b]. Yes cakes are hard but there are shops that can do good job.

• oops
    i didnt read the footnotes
    yup, that shit is a veritable trainwreck

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Is the Obama edible? It would be weird to bite off his head.

• I want the report from YP as to the D.C. "clusterfuck" he keeps referring to.

Tell 'em why you mad, son!

Yo im bout to head out to APT in a second but will do when I get some downtime tomorrow.

• I WAS THERE!!! shit was mad bananas!!! I was by the Wash Monument, but it was thrilling to be in the crowd with people crying, whooping it up, hugging etc.

Also was at the Jay-Z concert the night before

flicks will be forthcoming.....

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    G***ges... you shoulda got at me dude.