Hoarding 1200s??

PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I don't need 5 anymore, but heard that Panasonic is no longer making spare parts or something? What's the deal - do we need to be self-reliant in the future?

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    heard that Panasonic is no longer making spare parts or something?

That would explain why nobody seems to have Technics headshells for sale anymore.

• Ive actually considered coppin another 1200 and putting it on ice for 20 years.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Damn, this is looking bad! I had a bit of a nightmare getting a replacement tonearm from Technics a couple of years back and ended up getting one from the local turntable guy before he packed up and moved to Sweden.

Looks like I might use one for parts and put 2 away for when I retire or something.

OK, so coffins are getting cheaper right??

• guilty.
    i have 6 right now and various other non 1200 technics turntables also. i have given more away over the years. but they are all in use some constantly some intermittently.

• are they the same style of you have the digital pitch one or the reset button version?

• are they the same style of you have the digital pitch one or the reset button version?

Which are you referring to? I have 2 with reset the rest without. i never cared for/used reset.
    I have also had all the RCA's redone in higher quality wire and outputs and it makes a huge difference. At one point I took them all to this dude Willy Sutton who lives near where I grew up in Philly and he is the only person I have ever let work on any turntable of mine.

Which are you referring to? I have 2 with reset the rest without. i never cared for/used reset.
    I have also had all the RCA's redone in higher quality wire and outputs and it makes a huge difference. At one point I took them all to this dude Willy Sutton who lives near where I grew up in Philly and he is the only person I have ever let work on any turntable of mine.

Would u know about changing the "nite-lite" bulb?

• i got 3 1200's, looking for a 4th so i can keep 2 setup at all times and keep 2 in cases to take out with me.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Damn, I may need to get in on the hoarding, too. I've had the same pair of 1200s for more than a decade (probably closer to 15 years at this point), and knock on wood, they've never given me any problems. But if and when they do, I don't want to feel as though I'm fucked and won't be able to get 'em fixed due to lack of parts.

• I'm holding 4 1200s.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Doubtful. The Mk 6 just came out, there are plenty of suppliers with parts all over the internet. It's still a steady seller for Panasonic.
    Also, the Mk 5G has a digital pitch control as well as beefed up OFC tone-arm wiring. I believe the Mk 6 has this too.

• MK5

what more would the 6 do?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    yeah but when the Mk6s have all broken people are going to be out looking for Mk2s

(yes I sound old)

• were there ever clear/see thru 12's?

were there ever clear/see thru 12's?

To the best of my knowledge, the only official custom 1200s were the gold-plated versions made for the DMC winners. These are not the same as the black/gold 1200s that came out a few years back. A buddy of mine who once won the UK finals has a pair although to this day he still refuses to take them out of the box.

The Mk 6 versions are marketed more to home listeners, hence the audio quality upgrades. Not that you couldn't use them in the club.