Tribe joins Rock of love

2»

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I think I hijacked the thread

As I'm looking, I see that things went off-topic.

Continue on.

• This season's Rock of Love show will be worth the price of cable alone.

The first episode was a face melter.

I hate these shows, but episode one was like a 1.5 hour long version of The Soup... I wish Joel McHale could just do running commentary on a DVD.

Dogz, episode 1 had me rolling... It took like...5 minutes for a cat fight to break out.
    And, not that I know her, but Tribe came across as one whacked out young lady, who had to be helped from the stage IN TEARZ at the end of Ep. 1 b/c she wasn't picked as the love of Bret f*cking Michaels life....

Awful, phenomenal entertainment.

• I went to her myspace to see if I could hear a mix. I can't even imagine what kind of music it is that she plays. She has pictures of her and celebrities scrolling across the screen and this one cracked me up.

Fabolous looks like he's dying for this moment to be over.

this one also made me laugh:

Molo-D in the house.

• THESE ARE JUST AFEW OF MY RECORDS FOM MY COLLECTION ! WHAT HAPPEND TO RECORD DIGGIN?!!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I moved to chicago in 98, so I caught Beat Parlor only a year or so before they closed down, but I always got kinda cold shoulder vibes from the dudes working there, which I actually kind of liked...hahah. I always appreciated the Chicago scene when I moved there because of that kind of grudgy mentality most the cats in the hip hop and house scene carried on their shoulders. It was always more enjoyable for me to go to shops and shows where I was one of the only white dudes there, or at least the only non thugged out white dude there haha. Chicago used to be much more grimy! I always liked going to that little underground African/Rasta boutique right there where Flash taco is now too, which prolly closed in 97 or so, that was the kind of experience/shop that really made me want to be in Chicago. The 6 corners area was my shit!

I missed this section by a few years. I've been living 2 blocks from the former Crossroads of Cool for the past 5 or 6 years.

When I was roaming town with the Birthwrite characters...sheesh. Those were different times. If I'm allowed inside for the upcoming April PW show, Mr. A*ll*n Johnson will be stopping in from out of town and we'll both attend.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I can't even imagine what kind of music it is that she plays.

From YouTube, it looks like she plays pretty standard hip-hop.

Those pics are pretty damn funny, too. Fab looks like he's got a gun to his head.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    She was at a club I was playing at once, just there chillin' and kept talking to me then finally gave me her business card. She told me she was a dj to blah, blah, blah. I honestly thought it was some weird tranny with huge fake tits. I never called her.

She was at a club I was playing at once, just there chillin' and kept talking to me then finally gave me her business card. She told me she was a dj to blah, blah, blah. I honestly thought it was some weird tranny with huge fake tits. I never called her.

I think I saw her in a graffiti-related movie, but I've seen quite a few in the last few months so I have to backtrack.

• When it comes time that a man who yearns to be a woman begins his search for the right doctor to perform the delicate task, may he not be led astray by those who offer discounts. It is an occasion to really splash out and pay top dollar- Health First! Good Luck unto all the would be ladyboys of the world!

When it comes time that a man who yearns to be a woman begins his search for the right doctor to perform the delicate task, may he not be led astray by those who offer discounts. It is an occasion to really splash out and pay top dollar- Health First! Good Luck unto all the would be ladyboys of the world!

Truth be told (okay, maybe just me), she's better looking without the blonde hair and the humungo chichi's.

Speaking of which, here's Gianna Michaels.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    He played the shy guy on the side role and evidently got paid.

If by paid you mean genital herpes, than yes, he did. A very good pay day indeed.

this girl is nASTAY

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I used to know Glen

Chicago... buddy Glen... Coincidence? I think not!

Don't worry folks, I'm on the case.

F*ck, I think his name was Glen, the hiphop buyer for Gramaphone for a hot minute...moved to the bay I think. He was real tight with Mark Farina if I remember correctly. didn't Mark work at Gramaphone too at some point?

I never met Glen, AKA DJ G-Most, proponent of acid jazz in Chicago in the mid-90's. I must have looked like him or had real similar music tastes because people always mentioned him when I started at Gramaphone. "Did you ever meet Glen?"

He rolled with Mark Farina, yes. I don't know if Farina ever worked at Gramaphone, though. I'd have to put Sleuther on that one too.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I used to know Glen

Chicago... buddy Glen... Coincidence? I think not!

Don't worry folks, I'm on the case.

F*ck, I think his name was Glen, the hiphop buyer for Gramaphone for a hot minute...moved to the bay I think. He was real tight with Mark Farina if I remember correctly. didn't Mark work at Gramaphone too at some point?

I never met Glen, AKA DJ G-Most, proponent of acid jazz in Chicago in the mid-90's. I must have looked like him or had real similar music tastes because people always mentioned him when I started at Gramaphone. "Did you ever meet Glen?"

He rolled with Mark Farina, yes. I don't know if Farina ever worked at Gramaphone, though. I'd have to put Sleuther on that one too.

YES G-most, man it's been a minute. He left right when I got there in '95 but I used to do mail order from him for years. Dude was real cool and always took the time to recommend shit he knew I'd like even though I could tell he was rolling his eyes at a lot of the harder hip hop shit I liked. Dude did manage to slip in some acid jazz recommendations though. Fat Jazzy Grooves is one that comes to mind immediately.

Andy is the dude I started ordering from originally though. The guys that taught me how to mix back in 88 were house heads so that's pretty much what I started buying initially even though I was a hip hop head. Andy ALWAYS came with some heat back then.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Andy is the dude I started ordering from originally though. The guys that taught me how to mix back in 88 were house heads so that's pretty much what I started buying initially even though I was a hip hop head. Andy ALWAYS came with some heat back then.

Yeah, I got started with a bunch of techno and hard house guys up at NU. I was into hip-hop and "jazz beatz" and all that shit, so we never really meshed, but they let me F*ck around on their turntables.

Andy is one of those classic non-success stories. He had a couple chances to really bump large and they eluded him for some reason and now he's mad old still working in a record store. He's got the knowledge and the records, it's a shame he could never parlay that into something bigger.

I used to work Sundays with him and if it was mad slow in the afternoons he would get on and mix modern soul and 80's classics. That was always a treat. He put me up on game in a big way.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Cool thread -- aside from all the quasi pr0n (have to scroll by that quickly at work).

Did you guys ever shop at Supreme? Same area (Six Corners). It was an OK shop that "burned down," most likely in an insurances scam, maybe in '02?

I used to also do a lot of shopping at Hot Jams. However, most of the record boxes had little metal bars, so one of the clerks would have to unlock and pull out a record. Also, they only had one listening station, which was nearly always manned by those same clerks. I would often pick out a large stack and one of the guys who worked there at the time (Frankie Vega) would play every record, invariably saying something along the lines of, "This beat is hot!"

I think Andy was always a little high strung for his own good. haha. Dude sure does have knowledge though. I kinda strayed once the genre grew and didn't go to him as much, I ended up being more into the deeper funky stuff that cats like Derrick spun.

Cool thread -- aside from all the quasi pr0n (have to scroll by that quickly at work).

Did you guys ever shop at Supreme? Same area (Six Corners). It was an OK shop that "burned down," most likely in an insurances scam, maybe in '02?

I used to also do a lot of shopping at Hot Jams. However, most of the record boxes had little metal bars, so one of the clerks would have to unlock and pull out a record. Also, they only had one listening station, which was nearly always manned by those same clerks. I would often pick out a large stack and one of the guys who worked there at the time (Frankie Vega) would play every record, invariably saying something along the lines of, "This beat is hot!"

Supreme was cool, I remember Chunkabud used to work in there for a bit. He put out a cool Midnight Oasis remix. That was a cool spot but always had a shady vibe to it. Could have been WAY cooler.

• Cool thread MY ASS!

Where is all the talk of busted-ass-bitches disgracing themselves on a reality show for the love of a diabetic, washed-up rocker!

What is all this record talk??

F*ck this... I'll be on VH1.com if you need me.

( )

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yes only on Soulstrut will a thread about Lady Tribe turn into record store and acid jazz discussion, and a thread about Freeway will turn into a discussion about malls.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Yes only on Soulstrut will a thread about Lady Tribe turn into record store and acid jazz discussion, and a thread about Freeway will turn into a discussion about malls.

There's gotta be some science to this that, if one figures it out, one can finesse. Like, if you want to talk about topic X, you need to start a thread about topic Y, which is completely unrelated to topic X.

• tij1natij1na 14 Posts
    Supreme was like the Untitled of record stores, shit was crazy overpriced, but was clean and had cool shit. I used to go in there and chat with Precyse. I remember seeing Necro come in there for some instore shit, dude had what looked like a herpes sore on his mouth, and I immediately bounced! Isnt that where the Brown Elephant is now?

Supreme was like the Untitled of record stores, shit was crazy overpriced, but was clean and had cool shit. I used to go in there and chat with Precyse. I remember seeing Necro come in there for some instore shit, dude had what looked like a herpes sore on his mouth, and I immediately bounced! Isnt that where the Brown Elephant is now?

haha I was at that instore. I forgot J**n used to work there. I haven't talked to THAT dude in a while.

• tij1natij1na 14 Posts

haha I was at that instore. I forgot J**n used to work there. I haven't talked to THAT dude in a while.

I think I rolled up there with you that day? Cant remember, either way that herpes sore shit was nasty!

I think I rolled up there with you that day? Cant remember, either way that herpes sore shit was nasty!

wait, who are you? haha

• tij1natij1na 14 Posts
    Alter Meatgo

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Ok, back to the HO's........... Gianna is from Seattle.

Alter Meatgo

hahaha...idiot. yeah I think you did roll with me to that.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

The Brown Elephant came and left (officially due to lack of consistent influx), which is unfortunate, since it allowed for a semi-consistent source of .50?? Edward Gorey Anchor softcovers. Presently, the store is an expanded version of the formerly-next-door boutique. I haven't ventured inside.

It's an odd story about what happened to Supreme, and I certainly don't have the corner on the truth. I hadn't actively been living in the neighborhood until a month or two before The Incident happened, and I was a little creeped out about it for a few months thereafter. In 2002, I was walking on the Southwest side of Milwaukee when I saw two of Supreme's 10'+ plate glass windows severely broken in and a few rubberneckers lolling about. I'd heard a cacophony of fire engines and police cars a few hours earlier, but it's a big city and I didn't think anything of it. I asked a bystander what happened, and he told me that a disturbed individual came inside the store and just started trashing it - bashing displays and throwing merchandise around. I could see through the remaining windows that it looked like a rabid animal had seen set loose - the store was a total loss. Eventually, the man escaped arriving police by somehow getting onto the roof and threatening to jump. I additionally heard rumors of a small fire that was set in a back room, although that can't be confirmed. The business never attempted to reopen, and a Brown Elephant came in some months later. The immediate appearance of the store was quite dramatic before it was cleaned up a bit. I have no idea how the standoff ended, but I don't think that anybody lost their lives.

I'm probably a little hazy on the details, but I've been living with a second-hand account of the events since day one.