Miami..where to eat? Ft. Lauderdale...records?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
going to be in south Florida for Xmas and it looks like we will have a day to venture into Miami...where would you go if you could only have 1 or 2 meals in Miami? Looking for top shelf Cuban and Haitian/Creole....also whats up record wise in Fort Lauderdale?thanks...

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Check PMs

• reskresk 391 Posts
    my personal favorite cuban food spot is habana harry's in coral gables. Its off US1 and on lejune. Not traditional cuban food, more cuban influenced with a twist. The harry's chicken is my dish. Its your typical pechuga a la plancha (chicken breast marinate in mojo) but with there avacado sauce, cheese, and sour cream. Served with white rice, black beans, platanos maduros.

As far as hatian food, the spot i go to is a hood spot. Pack supermarket (not a supermarket at all). Its a little north of little haiti, in the little river hood. Its on 82nd street and NE 2nd ave. Its one of those spots you wait outside for your plate, not the cleanest place by any means, but they make a great fried chicken plate (comes with white rice, plantians, and haitian slaw). Dont know if this is traditional at all though, but damn good food. I think this plate is the only thing they serve though.

Come hungry to both.

Records wise in ft lauderdale, kelly's and bluenote. I haven't been to either in a minute. I rarely go north of the (miami-dade) border.

• Yah resk has got it right, also peep Versailles on 8th st if you want a little bit more traditional cuban food.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    fort ladidadi?

• reskresk 391 Posts
    after hours cuban food, la carreta on 8th street in little habana. Not sure if its still 24 hours, but I know i have been there at least at 3am-ish. Its no habana harry's but sure as hell beats denny's for the late night munchies.

• Tripledouble and I ate all the records in Lauderdale, Hollywood and Miami when we were there but for leftovers... you should go to the Blue Note upstairs annex in Miami, tons of ignored stuff, and there's this place in Lauderdale thats just called All Books and Records, right off 95 on Oakland Park Blvd and it's filled with records and the spot down the block is too it's next to a strip club and it's called Larry's and it's a dollar bin scouring situation but you will leave satisfied, across the street is a goodwill at which I found many a perfect hard to find album if you are down with that.
    There's also a really good Brazilian restaurant between the 2 stores in Lauderdale called 'brasil' that has an awesome lunch buffet.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    Tripledouble and I ate all the records in Lauderdale, Hollywood and Miami when we were there but for leftovers... you should go to the Blue Note upstairs annex in Miami, tons of ignored stuff, and there's this place in Lauderdale thats just called All Books and Records, right off 95 on Oakland Park Blvd and it's filled with records and the spot down the block is too it's next to a strip club and it's called Larry's and it's a dollar bin scouring situation but you will leave satisfied, across the street is a goodwill at which I found many a perfect hard to find album if you are down with that.
    There's also a really good Brazilian restaurant between the 2 stores in Lauderdale called 'brasil' that has an awesome lunch buffet.

whens the last time you been down in MIA? the bluenote annex has been closed for ages now, the japanese cleaned it out prior to its official closing.

Dont sleep on thrifts, i find so many local lp's there. Bluenote or kelley's are quick to put them on ebay rather than them hitting the floors.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    All books? Wow, havent been there since mid to late 90's, can't imagine they are still open.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    All Books has one location left on Sunrise. Mostly overpriced. THrift sotres always come through, as does the Thunderbird. For Haitian food in Miami just drive down MLK (pretty sure its 42nd) between BIscayne and West 2nd. I got a bomb fish dinner at a spot over there on the South side of the street next to a laundromat.

I've got one more spot in Ft. Lauderdale that I'll give up via PM if you want it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    All Books has one location left on Sunrise. Mostly overpriced. THrift sotres always come through, as does the Thunderbird. For Haitian food in Miami just drive down MLK (pretty sure its 42nd) between BIscayne and West 2nd. I got a bomb fish dinner at a spot over there on the South side of the street next to a laundromat.

I've got one more spot in Ft. Lauderdale that I'll give up via PM if you want it.

I know this is old, but...

The all books on sunrise has been closed for almost 4 years. Too bad because that place had RECORDS! That is what was so great about digging in broward, the "diggers" were clueless for the 1st half of the decade and refused to spend actual money on records. Yeah the floor was bare, but the back was stacked. I have some fond memories from the Summer of 2002 in that place. Jazzberry Patch(es), Magic on Armadillo, Bohemian Vendetta, Easter Everywhere, Belgrave, multiple Bandolero and It's a Revolution Mother OST's, entire run of the Sound triangle titles (minus that damn Clockwork lp that I've NEVER been able to turn up)...I use to show up at 9am and chill in the back all day. Take a puff/lunch break at noon or so and go back to work. While dudes for fighting for scraps at the swap shop under that florida sun, me and my buddy were paying 9.99 (gasp!) for raers. Good times! Between all books and kelly's when he was down the block you could clean up.