HAMMER PANTS

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Who rocked em? I think the closest I got was some Z Cavaricci's at the Jr. High dance (rocking a SWEATER NO LESS). Getting my Roger Rabbit on and dripping Drakkar on the dancefloor. b, 21I'm not talking parachute pants with a million zippers, I'm talking straight up doo doo bags that looked like you're wearing a soggy adult diaper. b, 21b, 21I see these making a comeback in the near future img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!b, 21

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hells to the NO.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    How did I know you'd be the 1st one to poast? b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif" alt="" 21

• Making a major comeback. Saw them a lot in Italy.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I used to rock the shit out of Zubas.b, 21

• the comeback is gearing up. the streets are gonna be full of creeps in "drop crotch" pants. the folks that post comments at the sartorialist can't say enough good things about them.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    My brother worked at a gym and made his own Zubaz-style joints...like, he'd go to the fabric store and buy four yards of material with lobsters all over it or whatever, and make his own? Wow. Working out's always been kinda gay, I guess.b, 21b, 21But HammerPants: no. They stood out so much, you'd need more than one pair to pull it off, lest ye be "that dude with those hammerpants."b, 21b, 21I came close, with some baby blue pleated jobbies where you rolled up the cuff to reveal pink paisleys...but that was on some Miami Vice-inspiration...b, 21b, 21dang.b, 21b, 21Grown Man Me does not approve of Kid Me.

• Never ever ever. b, 21b, 21In 83 my friend's mom was a nurse and hooked us up with some super baggy hospital pants, but nothing in the vicinity of Hammer pants.

• Hells to the yes! White with black polka dots rocked in conjunction with a black or white mock turtleneck and topped off with a black biking cap with white polka dots. Straight killin' 'em at lunch when we had DJ's playing in the courtyard. "GO HERMIE! GO HERMIE! GO GO GO HERMIE!" I'd bust a 360 spin, pop up then land in the splits while my Mexi-mullet bounced and swayed. b, 21b, 21Then of course there was my totally krossed out days. First to rock the backwards overalls the day after Rap City premiered "Jump." I wasted no time. I always had to be the first! Still do, actually. (I was the first dude with a heartbeat line shaved into the side of my head and also the first dude gluing rhinestones onto the Dallas Cowboys embroidery on my Starter!) Funny thing is...my best friend in high school saw the same Kriss Kross video and we both showed up rocking the backwards gear! True Hip Hop heads think alike!b, 21b, 21And most of you already know about my self-airbrushed and rhinestoned denim 'fit from my infamous senior portrait. I had the entire Black Culture Club lookin' HYPE AND DOPE at every February's assembly!

• My dad bought me a pair for my 7th grade dance. I rocked them with a mustard yellow rayon shirt that had a black flower print all over. Plus I was rockin' Giorgio-Brutini pleather dress shoes with metal tips.b, 21b, 21...my hair style is a different story...

• I sported "zip down"pants and bogarts (80s)...I think parachute pants came years after that.b, 21b, 21No Hammer pants though.b, 21b, 21Joe Style's Shop lives forever.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    My girlfriend did. She has fond memories of dancing in them in clubs to "Return of the Mack" or that "Vibe" r'n'b song that ran down a list of girl's names that 'got that viiibe'... she says all of her friends names get mentioned apart from hers in that one img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/badassbuddy_com-hammered.gif" alt="" 21b, 21I think I'd have been more worried about the hammer pants.

• i had a pair i got in germany, black w/ white pinstripes, black collarless dress shirt and patent leather shoes. my boy and I used to do whole kid and play routine and the gym dances

• In my world, parachute pants preceded Hammer pants by a good 6-7 years. I made a deal with my Dad who absolutely hated my ducktail ("you look like a sissy with that ponytail!"). A pair of scissors and a trip to Merry Go Round later, I was zip-zip-zippin' along with a huge smile on my face. I'm still shocked that he agreed to that trade-off. The pants cost $50!!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I shared this story once before on Soulstrut. I never had a pair of Hammer pants but two of my best friends were twins and each had a pair -- one black, one a sort of hybrid Zubaz, if you will, of a mustard and cream varietal. b, 21b, 21One evening in about the fifth grade, one of the homies let me borrow the Zubaz-stlye pants to rock while we accompanied my dad to a basketball game he played in an adult league at a local gym. Not sure how/why it happened, but I crapped those pants. Thankfully, I was wearing some briefs, which were soiled but the Hammer pants, alas, stayed relatively clean -- actually crapping a pair of Hammer pants, full load, I would imagine, gets very messy. However, the stench was undeniable and the twins kept asking me if I had a load in the pants. I denied it but also didn't sit down anywhere and probably blushed the entire game. I have blacked out most of the details of that night. b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21 x100

• For the record, Hammer pants say "U CAN'T TOUCH THIS" to Zubaz. Two entirely different animals.b, 21b, 21Please to keep Bosworth stylez out of this thread.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Hells to the yes! White with black polka dots rocked in conjunction with a black or white mock turtleneck and topped off with a black biking cap with white polka dots. Straight killin' 'em at lunch when we had DJ's playing in the courtyard. "GO HERMIE! GO HERMIE! GO GO GO HERMIE!" I'd bust a 360 spin, pop up then land in the splits while my Mexi-mullet bounced and swayed. b, 21b, 21Then of course there was my totally krossed out days. First to rock the backwards overalls the day after Rap City premiered "Jump." I wasted no time. I always had to be the first! Still do, actually. (I was the first dude with a heartbeat line shaved into the side of my head and also the first dude gluing rhinestones onto the Dallas Cowboys embroidery on my Starter!) Funny thing is...my best friend in high school saw the same Kriss Kross video and we both showed up rocking the backwards gear! True Hip Hop heads think alike!b, 21b, 21And most of you already know about my self-airbrushed and rhinestoned denim 'fit from my infamous senior portrait. I had the entire Black Culture Club lookin' HYPE AND DOPE at every February's assembly! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21herm you are a national treasure

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21How did I know you'd be the 1st one to poast? b, 21b, 21img src="http://chuchscoop.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/mchammercpl.jpg"1b, 21img src="http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5909/goldyjw1.jpg"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jonnygraem.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21In my world, parachute pants preceded Hammer pants by a good 6-7 years. I made a deal with my Dad who absolutely hated my ducktail ("you look like a sissy with that ponytail!"). A pair of scissors and a trip to Merry Go Round later, I was zip-zip-zippin' along with a huge smile on my face. I'm still shocked that he agreed to that trade-off. The pants cost $50!! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21sayin!b, 21b, 21parachute pants = elementary schoolb, 21hammer pants = high school

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I shared this story once before on Soulstrut. I never had a pair of Hammer pants but two of my best friends were twins and each had a pair -- one black, one a sort of hybrid Zubaz, if you will, of a mustard and cream varietal. b, 21b, 21One evening in about the fifth grade, one of the homies let me borrow the Zubaz-stlye pants to rock while we accompanied my dad to a basketball game he played in an adult league at a local gym. Not sure how/why it happened, but I crapped those pants. Thankfully, I was wearing some briefs, which were soiled but the Hammer pants, alas, stayed relatively clean -- actually crapping a pair of Hammer pants, full load, I would imagine, gets very messy. However, the stench was undeniable and the twins kept asking me if I had a load in the pants. I denied it but also didn't sit down anywhere and probably blushed the entire game. I have blacked out most of the details of that night. b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21 x100 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I knew making this thread was a good idea.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21In my world, parachute pants preceded Hammer pants by a good 6-7 years. I made a deal with my Dad who absolutely hated my ducktail ("you look like a sissy with that ponytail!"). A pair of scissors and a trip to Merry Go Round later, I was zip-zip-zippin' along with a huge smile on my face. I'm still shocked that he agreed to that trade-off. The pants cost $50!! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I shared this story once before on Soulstrut. I never had a pair of Hammer pants but two of my best friends were twins and each had a pair -- one black, one a sort of hybrid Zubaz, if you will, of a mustard and cream varietal. b, 21b, 21One evening in about the fifth grade, one of the homies let me borrow the Zubaz-stlye pants to rock while we accompanied my dad to a basketball game he played in an adult league at a local gym. Not sure how/why it happened, but I crapped those pants. Thankfully, I was wearing some briefs, which were soiled but the Hammer pants, alas, stayed relatively clean -- actually crapping a pair of Hammer pants, full load, I would imagine, gets very messy. However, the stench was undeniable and the twins kept asking me if I had a load in the pants. I denied it but also didn't sit down anywhere and probably blushed the entire game. I have blacked out most of the details of that night. b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21 x100 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Ha! I remember you posting this before, except you very matter-of-factly said, "I once crapped a pair of beige Hammer pants." There's something about that sentence that cracks me the hell up.

• I'll even admit to carrying a miniature Dizzy Devil doll aka the baby Tazmanian Devil stuffed into the back pocket of my overalls (to match my airbrushed Dizzy Devil t-shirt, of course). b, 21b, 21I also rocked the baggy shorts, baseball cap and necktie look a la BBD. Michael Bivins was is my fashion idol. b, 21b, 21I was nominated Best Dressed my senior year, by the way. Though I've always felt it was more "what the f*ck is he wearing?!" than "damn he looks good in that outfit."

• Options
    Hammer pants will be back in around 2010. b, 21b, 2160s shit was hot in the 80sb, 2170s shit was hot in the 90sb, 2180s shit is hot in the 00sb, 21my guess is that 90s shit will be hot in the 10s

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Ha! I remember you posting this before, except you very matter-of-factly said, "I once crapped a pair of beige Hammer pants." There's something about that sentence that cracks me the hell up. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah, the story isn't all that exciting. Shouldn't have stuck to the one-liner, haha.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Ha! I remember you posting this before, except you very matter-of-factly said, "I once crapped a pair of beige Hammer pants." There's something about that sentence that cracks me the hell up. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21If I recall correctly, that line was also a popular location for a second. Definitely excellent.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21I knew making this thread was a good idea. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="http://lh5.ggpht.com/_TzfLUyGTUeA/SRpX-Li2BRI/AAAAAAAAEhk/QmFUg5wIzJg/s400/IMG_4236.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21b, 21NEVER SCARED AND NEVER ASHAMED.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21I knew making this thread was a good idea. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/day465/Soulstrut/hermhighschool.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21b, 21NEVER SCARED AND NEVER ASHAMED. b, 21b, 21h, 21

• I was hoping you'd post that 'cause I can't find it!b, 21b, 21Now where's the one you took in Phx??

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/581.gif" alt="" 21b, 21img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/day465/Soulstrut/hairm.jpg"1