is r kelly a good singer?

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
i love his songwriting and production but his singing is suspect. especially shes got that vibe when he sings "i must confess that tight mini skirt you wear" has me laughing its so bad. what do you think? peace, stein. . .

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i love his songwriting and production but his singing is suspect. especially shes got that vibe when he sings "i must confess that tight mini skirt you wear" has me laughing its so bad. what do you think? peace, stein. . .

Yes, R Kelly is a good singer.

• i love his songwriting and production but his singing is suspect. especially shes got that vibe when he sings "i must confess that tight mini skirt you wear" has me laughing its so bad. what do you think? peace, stein. . .

it's almost as if he was playing a big joke on everyone.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i say good, but he needs to be slapped upside the head with that last single he did.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Yes, R Kelly is a VERY good singer.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    everything that r kelly has done and his whole persona has made that into an irrelevant question. i'm not saying "who cares?" because it matters if he has the smooth voice, but he's an evil genius, and his music defies all attempts at critiquing it.
    r kelly truly deserves the

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    he's a really good singer and writer IMO. a woman's threat =

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Stein,

I think R's singing has improved over the years, particular on last few albums (i.e., "Chocolate Factory" and "Happy People/You Saved Me"). I never considered him as much of a singer, but cat has put it together vocally, in my opinion. I already respected him as an R&B writer and producer (I liked a song or two here and there), but the better singing is a nice bonus. I like the more mature sound of his more recent recordings, after not buying a single recording by him prior to those releases. I found his earlier stuff to seem silly, not my thing.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    I think he's a better filmmaker than a singer.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I think the dude is definetly a talent, but his lyrics can be real corny. Dude is way "literal".

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I just read this, and was thinking how I've had this same conversation many times.

Also - on TRAPPED IN THE CLOSET:
    "The results are suspended between John Coltrane???s open-ended searching and gospel???s time-honored combination of improvisation and hamminess."*

*Even though this is written by SFJ - it's still why I don't pick up New Yorker often!!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I don't rate the guy on any level.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• I've never bought any of his records,

but he had a guest spot on a slow jam on Missy's Under Construction and his delivery on his verse on there is just incredible, so good it hurts.

I'd hate to see what really goes on in his closet though...

J

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Yes, R Kelly is a VERY good singer.

but a wack lyricist. folks around here eat his shit for breakfast though.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    The best was some video that was out like two years ago..I forget which vid but Kells was a guest on the track and of course it was about an after party ..anyways video climaxes with Kells singing "We have drinks of all kinds"..so cheese but so dope

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    He's a great singer; it's his songwriting that's occasionally suspect.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    He's a great singer; it's his songwriting that's occasionally suspect.
    True dude has a voice....However if his songwriting wasn't so terrible I don't think I would pay attention to him.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    r kelly singing-ability notables...

Diddy with Kellz - Satisfy You
    Kellz - I Believe I Can Fly (space jam appreciation please)