Can we get a consensus on Phish?

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
I mean, this could be something that most strutters agree on, and feel adamantly about. b,121b,121I'm not trying to shit on anyone's sundae and call it a carnival, but I'm not feelin it.

Comments

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Lord, I hate Phish... My cousin is the biggest f'n fan. She's spent most of her life collecting and trading tapes before file sharing that is. Following them around america. And playing them for everybody that comes over to her house. I tried to like them. Really I did. But, they just suck. Jam bands always do. Suck Suck Suck. I don't feel the big energy snake coming from the stage!!! WTF

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Elvis = 50,000 Impersonatorsb,121b,121Grateful Dead = 500 Inpersonatorsb,121 Grateful Dead > Elvis Impersonators > Phish

• I did a lot of drugs at Phish concerts.b,121b,121Do we really need a consensus on this band? i mean, really...

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    GRATEFUL DAED ALBUMX HAVE BRAEKS

• Options
    Come on guys Grateful Dead and Phish are not that much alike.b,121b,121Point One: Jerry Garcia was in the Grateful Dead img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" /1b,121b,121Point Two: Phish intentionally migrated their music towards stadiums. Trey went to rehab for herb. And Phish Freaks are like the yuppies. And Barack Obama doesn't like Phish. b,121b,121b,121later.b,121b,121lilmonstu

• Phish's first album is pretty good if you like prog rock and captain beefheart with stupid lyrics.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Can't we split this into an East Coast/West Coast debate?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    there were/are millions of adrift disjointed younger deadheads that had just started doing acid and enjoying the scene in the 90s and they needed something to followb,121after garcia's death b,121i reckon phish filled that void by defaultb,121b,121those dudes have chops for daze but the final product is rather feces likeb,121b,121i mean if you are white,from vermont or some other middle class caucasian infested enviorn ,semi educated,liberal,non thuggish,lazy,a peaceful soul,a weed smoker and a "non conformist"aside from cypress hill,or bob marley where else could you honestly pledge your allegence?b,121b,121b,121did you know that garcia died cradling an apple in his hands like a baby?b,121b,121that apple was phish

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    They have a good light show.b,121b,121My cousin at UC Santa Cruz was way in to them. Tradin' boot cassettes and walkin around barefoot in the winter. Dude's a mixed martial art fighter now. I'm into moderation.

• ok what about Phish side projects? I remember really liking the first Trey Anastasio solo album (s/t), although I haven't really listened to his stuff since. I also remember liking Vida Blue, the keyboardist's side project, which included hometown hero Russell Batiste on drums.b,121b,121p.s. i never liked phish. a bunch of my friends in high school and at the beginning of college used to love them, although luckily they basically stopped listening to them. anyway, i could never really get into it. i appreciated their talent and all, but they just never really did it for me.

• only folls from Colorado and Oregon should even be allowed to opine on this subject.b,121b,121I mean, who else among us could even [i]understand/i1 the meaning of Phish?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I mean, this could be something that most strutters agree on, and feel adamantly about.
    b,121
    b,121I'm not trying to shit on anyone's sundae and call it a carnival, but I'm not feelin it.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I don't think I've ever knowingly heard Phish, nor any of these other so-called "jam bands". I think I've heard the Dave Matthews Band twice, maybe three times. I've never once felt as if I might be missing out. Something about that shit doesn't really travel, especially not to a country that could comfortably fit within the boundaries of New York State.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    you people are wild.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I mean, who else among us could even [i]understand
    /i1 the meaning of Phish?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121I was living in the Philly area at the time but traveled around on their tours.b,121I've seen them live over 30 times. Those were my high school years, mid to late 90s. I did mix it up with at least as many Roots shows and raves and local funk & soul events. I definitely didn't have the blinders on that a lot of people in that scene did.b,121b,121I haven't intentionally listened to them in years but those were great times - hitchhiking around, living super-meagerly. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poor.gif" alt="" /1b, /1Modern-day adventuring. For real.b,121b,121They earned their spot in musical history (chops and improv skills for days).b,121I had a tough time dancing to it, though, unless I was high as f**k.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    paging P.L.U.R.b,121b,121b,121where are you?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I've seen them live over 30 times.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121BAN

• That was when I was 15-19. I loved concerts and Phish was 30 out of a couple hundred.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121you people are wild.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Heh. Seriously, though, it's probably something to do with why there are no decent British road movies, or why the Dead were only ever a cult band over here - there simply aren't the huge expanses of space or levels of population here that could sustain a Phish-type act to the extent that they'd exist beyond the absolute margins to any meaningful extent, or that the idea of following them all over the country could have a kind of romantic, counter-cultural appeal to tens of thousands of people. I guess the nearest equivalent over here would be Hawkwind or Gong, but they're very much a throwback to the 60s and, committed as their audiences are, I doubt they're in the same numbers as Phish's.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121there were/are millions of adrift disjointed younger deadheads that had just started doing acid and enjoying the scene in the 90s and they needed something to follow
    b,121after garcia's death
    b,121i reckon phish filled that void by default
    b,121
    b,121those dudes have chops for daze but the final product is rather feces like
    b,121
    b,121i mean if you are white,from vermont or some other middle class caucasian infested enviorn ,semi educated,liberal,non thuggish,lazy,a peaceful soul,a weed smoker and a "non conformist"aside from cypress hill,or bob marley where else could you honestly pledge your allegence?
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121did you know that garcia died cradling an apple in his hands like a baby?
    b,121
    b,121that apple was phish
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121cosign & exactly, you sound like you have experience in the granola volvo wagon jawn.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Is it April Fool's day? The board has threads about PHISH and ELTON JOHN? Where the F*ck am I? Where have you hidden Soulstrut??

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    It's pretty simple. They're highly skilled musicians who make terribly insipid, shitty music. The end.

• Be assured they are laughing all the way to the bank.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Be assured they are laughing all the way to the bank.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121NOBODY is laughing on their way to the bank anymore....

• PLURPLUR 28 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121paging P.L.U.R.
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121where are you?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1'b,121b,121RITE HEER GUYZ!!! I wonce went with my frend Lance to a FISCH concert bcuz hE sed it wuz gunna be just lief a RAVE outsied!!! He LYED 2 me GUYZ! oK so fer sure ther wer ppl in big pants and ppl twrling around n dancing reel good and i cant lye there wer sum reellly REEALLY good drugs but FISCH FUKKKIN SUCKED MAN! those guyz have no BREAKZ!!! ZEERO BREAKZ AT ALL!!!!! Sum1 needs 2 teech them all about tha BREAKZ becuz tha BREAKZ are the FOUNDASHIN of MUSIC FOR REEL GUYZ!!! So who is tha othr group tha DEAD HEADS that u wer talkin about??? SOme1 in tha thred said they got BREAKZ!!?!?!? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/badassbuddy_com-drummer2.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/badassbuddy_com-drummer2.gif" alt="" /1

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I mean, who else among us could even
    understand the meaning of Phish? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121I was living in the Philly area at the time but traveled around on their tours.
    b,121I've seen them live over 30 times. Those were my high school years, mid to late 90s. I did mix it up with at least as many Roots shows and raves and local funk & soul events. I definitely didn't have the blinders on that a lot of people in that scene did.
    b,121
    b,121I haven't intentionally listened to them in years but those were great times - hitchhiking around, living super-meagerly.
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poor.gif" alt="" /1
    b,121Modern-day adventuring. For real.
    b,121
    b,121They earned their spot in musical history (chops and improv skills for days).
    b,121I had a tough time dancing to it, though, unless I was high as f**k.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121Rick, the road to disco is long and dangerous. I'm glad the patchwork pant people let you go. Cosign on those boring roots shows in the 90's. I don't even know how many times I heard them in the background while I was in some hippies tent, in a parking lot trying to score mushrooms ... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/595.gif" alt="" /1

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Is it April Fool's day? The board has threads about PHISH and ELTON JOHN? Where the F*ck am I? Where have you hidden Soulstrut??
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I can own up to the latter thread. I think I have three or four Elton John records on the shelf. My bad. Definitely prime targets for a purge, indeed. Also have two Phish CDs; an ex-girlfriend left them at my house and I have honestly considered tracking her down to give them back, though she's a dominatrix now and, while probably a glutton for punishment, there is a limit. Here's the crazyiest thing about it: On one of the CDs, Phish covers "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It." Now I know we can all imagine how terrible Phish is when playing their own music, but they take that swill to new heights covering some late-period Fresh Prince.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121there were/are millions of adrift disjointed younger deadheads that had just started doing acid and enjoying the scene in the 90s and they needed something to follow
    b,121after garcia's death
    b,121i reckon phish filled that void by default
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121at the beginning of the 2000's, i was working in a music library at a collegeb,121b,121at this point, white rock was considered dead in the water (this was just before the strokes and the white stripes showed up)...the charts were mainly about hip-hop and other kinds of dance music. b,121b,121the music tastes of the students - black, white, Latin, Asian - reflected this.b,121b,121seemed like about the only white-guy rock music the college crowd had time for, in that pre-white stripes era, were the jam bandsb,121b,121these were likely the same kids Kala was referring to who got on the Deadhead train right around the time that Jerry Garcia passed

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts
    If you can talk your fans into becoming dope heads...You too can be a LEGEND.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 Also have two Phish CDs; an ex-girlfriend left them at my house
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121yeah, but she left them there, you didnt get them for yourselfb,121b,121if its something that (a) belongs to somebody else and (b) isnt my kind of music, there is no way in hell I'd file it with ***The Collection***

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Hey now -- they are "filed" only in the sense of resting in a shoebox in my parent's basement. I don't even have a CD player at the crib, aside from my computer.