Girl Talk sucks

dmacdmac 472 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
discuss.

Comments

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    bump

• girl talk's music is easy to avoid- it's the poptarts hyping up his music that really suck.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    ritalin-snorting poptart music.

• recommended for those that enjoy the amen break video and writing college papers on "ethics of sampling"

• yeah, his shit's mad post-modern collage-ical. he's making music for the 18-year-olds who listen to it and the 30-somethings who will finally have their papers on "feed the animals" published in an academic journals in 2 years.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121recommended for those that enjoy the amen break video and writing college papers on "ethics of sampling"1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121How dare you put hemol on blast like that!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121recommended for those that enjoy the amen break video and writing college papers on "ethics of sampling"
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121How dare you put hemol on blast like that!1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121 I've invested a decent amount of my adult life in making music with samples. I'm much more concerned with how people go about sampling, and how sampling came to be what it is now (historical related). The ethics of it is better left to people who aren't involved. Nice to know that you care though.b,121b,121I think that what he does has its place on the dancefloor, but other than that I can't stand it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    what he does has no place on any dancefloor of mine

• let me understand... this guy plays a series of premixed mash-up shit, makes it look like he's doing something live and then dances around like a clown?1 or is he using some program to mix a bunch of random things that just happen to be the same bpm?1 what's going on here?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    From what I've heard his live show is just him playing songs from a computer, and dancing around. That is not good.b,121b,121img src=http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/hemol/bitegraemlin.jpg1

• I saw him here in DC last year (the wife is a fan). Pretty crazy live show only because he lets EVERYBODY up on stage. Get your fratboy on. There were a bunch of cute 22 year olds (frat girls) there but I went downstairs after about five "songs." The wife and her friends had a great time though.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121From what I've heard his live show is just him playing songs from a computer, and dancing around. That is not good.
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121It's true. 1I always wonder what exactly he's doing with that mouse. 1For all we know he just pops in a cd. His dramatics are great, they include downing Moet and stripping.1 He doesn't bill himseslf as a DJ.1 Regerdless of what he's doing behind the laptop it's kind of crazy watching 2000+ drunk kinds lose there shit in the club.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121There were a bunch of cute 22 year olds (frat girls) there but I went downstairs after about five "songs." The wife and her friends had a great time though.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121The name says it all.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Regerdless... it's kind of crazy watching 2000+ drunk kinds lose there shit in the club.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121those same people should be paying to see me drink at a house party. they'd be writing novels about the schitt they saw.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121There were a bunch of cute 22 year olds (frat girls) there but I went downstairs after about five "songs." The wife and her friends had a great time though.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121The name says it all.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Well, technically, the name is "Girl Talk", not "Girl Talk Sucks". i1That[/i] would say it all.

• it is what it is. I can only imagine he is better at putting songs together than most dj's on here. And as someone else said he's not really trying to be like "I'm a DJ" so I don't see what the big deal is. The only thing that gets to me is it's little too hyper-nostalgic, like "oh shit-I remember that elastica song!" Other than that party people listen to all sorts of not so cool music to party to. You just sound kind of ass hurt- "I hope all those beckies dont think thats a dj."

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I can only imagine he is better at putting songs together than most dj's on here.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Maybe because one is done on the fly and the other is done in a studio where you can use a computer to match the songs for you, change the pitch etc. How surprising.1 b,121b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121You just sound kind of ass hurt- "I hope all those beckies dont think
    thats a dj." b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Let's say you spend hours practicing the trumpet and become good at playing the trumpet.1 You go to a jazz club and you see a guy up on the stage, dancing around with his trumpet in his hand while a tape with a trumpet solo plays in the background.1 A flock of girls are like, "WOW!1 You're a really good trumpet player!". b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif" alt="" 21

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121Let's say you spend hours practicing the trumpet and become good at playing the trumpet.1 You go to a jazz club and you see a guy up on the stage, dancing around with his trumpet in his hand while a tape with a trumpet solo plays in the background.1 A flock of girls are like, "WOW!1 You're a really good trumpet player!".
    b,121
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif" alt="" 21
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Catnip...bring on the fundamentals...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121...bring on the fundamentals...
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121but but, he doesn't even scratch yo!

• Who sold more records?b,121b,121b,121 img src="http://www.photoblogclub.net/_2120203drsw.jpg"11b,121b,121orb,121b,121b,121 img src="http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/nad/video/sony/23635785.jpg"1

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    this is a public forum, so let me just say for the record, if I met girltalk, I'd punch him square in the temple.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Other than that party people listen to all sorts of not so cool music to party to.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif" alt="" 21

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Other than that party people listen to all sorts of not so cool music to party to.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif" alt="" 21
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Where you been?

• I???m about to lose whatever SS cred I may have???b,121b,121I used to be an acquaintance with dude before he got as known as he is now, and despite what I have at times found troublesome about what he does, I think he is just trying to have a good time, play ???fun??? music and present it in a way that is entertaining and relevant to his crowd.1 And I can???t really hate on that!b,121b,121Also, what he does makes complete sense to the way a lot of people (Soulstrut not included) listen to music these1days???disposable, constantly fast forwarding through songs, listening to the first 20 seconds of a song and moving on???b,121b,121I admittedly have fun listening to his albums, mixes, whatever??? even if they make me smile and cringe at the same time!b,121b,121???I have no idea what he actually controls on stage, besides the legions of people looking to celebrate and wild out ON STAGE! His show is a real traveling party and engaging the crowd in that way as if they are the show is what I find most notable about what he has done.b,121b,121I also want to say that he is probably one of the most humble, genuinely nice persons I have met...b,121b,121Hate on.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I???m about to lose whatever SS cred I may have???
    b,121
    b,121I used to be an acquaintance with dude before he got as known as he is now, and despite what I have at times found troublesome about what he does, I think he is just trying to have a good time, play ???fun??? music and present it in a way that is entertaining and relevant to his crowd.1 And I can???t really hate on that!
    b,121
    b,121Also, what he does makes complete sense to the way a lot of people (Soulstrut not included) listen to music these1days???disposable, constantly fast forwarding through songs, listening to the first 20 seconds of a song and moving on???
    b,121
    b,121I admittedly have fun listening to his albums, mixes, whatever??? even if they make me smile and cringe at the same time!
    b,121
    b,121???I have no idea what he actually controls on stage, besides the legions of people looking to celebrate and wild out ON STAGE! His show is a real traveling party and engaging the crowd in that way as if they are the show is what I find most notable about what he has done.
    b,121
    b,121I also want to say that he is probably one of the most humble, genuinely nice persons I have met...
    b,121
    b,121Hate on.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Fine. The audience is part of the show.b,121All the better argument for not releasing this spazoid ass-end-of-pop-culture bullshit on CD.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this is dumbb,121b,121i dont care if he mixes with a prolapsed anus on a washtub, he suxx bcuz of the results, not the method. its all ADD-style super-obvious bullshit for ppl who are normally afraid to go to a club so they check him at an indie rock venue.b,121b,121no way no how no girl talkb,121b,121also lmao @ the sexism upthread ...1w2g guys, delegitimization the argument against him by saying only chix dig it

• Damn I sense a lot of music snobbery going on in here.b,121b,121I've been DJ'ing for close to a decade and I think a lot of Girl Talk's mixes are dope & clever. It's not about what equipment you use or even what songs you rock, as long as you can get the crowd having a good time...I've DJ'ed everything including weddings, frat houses, clubs, high school dances etc. with just about any range of equipment (started with 2 belt drives) and the way I judge success is if the partygoers had a blast...Girl Talk may not be scratching the ultra raer breakbeats on a 45 using his nose, but he can rock a venue...

• I'm not personally a fan or have much admiration for the music he puts out. Alot of focus on what he is doing is no longer about the music but the new questions and the current state of licensing, marketing and distributing music; which is all very interesting.b,121b,121Here's an article that was featured in the New Yorker sometime ago that may enlighten some on what he is exactly doing ... b,121b,121b,121RE-STARTb,121by Sasha Frere-Jonesb,121b,121In act that embodies many of the complications of the laptop???s role is Girl Talk, the stage name of Gregg Gillis, who performs with nothing but a laptop onstage and uses only loops and samples from other people???s songs, most of them well known. Girl Talk tracks combine Southern rap with Radiohead songs, Lil Wayne with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and have proved popular both live and on the Internet. The live draw is perhaps not surprising. To flesh out the experience of watching a guy working on a computer, Gillis leaps about, invites fans to dance onstage, and often ends shows wearing just his boxers. To protect his Panasonic Toughbook, Gillis covers it in Saran Wrap and uses a mouse rather than the track pad. (???My hands just get too sweaty,??? he explained to me.)b,121b,121In July, over lunch in a lower Manhattan restaurant, Gillis showed me how he constructs his elaborate mashups, which usually linger for no more than a minute on each loop before moving on. (There are more than three hundred different songs sampled on the latest Girl Talk album, ???Feed the Animals.???) He uses a cheap P.C. software package called AudioMulch, which enables users to import audio, create loops, and then stack them in a very simple interface. While we were talking, Gillis grabbed part of a Tupac Shakur song, looping both a vocal snippet and part of the drumbeat. (The software is able to lock all these loops into one time signature.)b,121b,121Gillis brought up a series of windows on his screen, each representing a collection of loops that could be played in any order. To perform a live set, Gillis has to turn a new loop on and off every few seconds, or choose to let several go on longer if he feels like getting up and dancing. The software is not set up to execute a long, complicated series of decisions on his behalf. He has to re-create the mix every night.b,121b,121Several decades ago, Gillis might have been playing at clubs like Danceteria or the World, where the d.j. booth was not necessarily visible from the dance floor and the space had no obvious front or back. The music floated above and around the dancers, who were both witnesses and performers. But, as dance clubs have dwindled in number, acts like Girl Talk are generally playing rock clubs that have traditional stages, and this demands some kind of1visual. Gillis is happy to comply, and his open-ended act and communal free-for-all certainly constitutes a live performance. It is ironic, then, that Gillis is so hands on in executing his mixes. If there was ever somebody who could simply hit ???Play??? and bounce around, it is Gillis. With some version of the Girl Talk mashup coming from the speakers and Gillis jumping out of1his pants, most concertgoers would feel as though they had got what they paid for. There is no longer any way of telling whether or not the Wizard is behind the curtain. Does1it matter?

• One more thing ...b,121b,121His music is partially responsible for helping to coin the term "Alt-Bro", an apt description of the legions of1his male fans. Frat rock for the next generation. Sounds fitting.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121this is dumb
    b,121
    b,121i dont care if he mixes with a prolapsed anus on a washtub, he suxx bcuz of the results, not the method. its all ADD-style super-obvious bullshit for ppl who are normally afraid to go to a club so they check him at an indie rock venue.
    b,121
    b,121no way no how no girl talk
    b,121
    b,121also lmao @ the sexism upthread ... w2g guys, delegitimization the argument against him by saying only chix dig it
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah, this dude is like Michael Phelps, and whatever you do is like basketball. b,121b,121Hoop dreams.