What Does Hillary Want?

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
I am curious what the Clinton camp is thinking right now. They are too smart to think she has a shot at the nomination. So what are they doing still in the race other than keeping pressure on Obama to conceded something valuable to them. They have earned a huge marker with the Democratic party. What do you think they are going to spend it on? VP slot? Paying off her 20 mill in debt? Senate majority leader? Educate the massive on this important topic. PS I don't think she wants the VP slot.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    her money back

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    her money back

and a few wins.

stephanopolus made a good point about whether she is damaging the party by staying in the race until june 5th. think about the perception if she were to drop out and obama was to still lose to her in west virginia?

she might be helping him by staying in and racking up the w's for states obama wouldn't win against a phantom candidate.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    her money back

and a few wins.

stephanopolus made a good point about whether she is damaging the party by staying in the race until june 5th. think about the perception if she were to drop out and obama was to still lose to her in west virginia?

she might be helping him by staying in and racking up the w's for states obama wouldn't win against a phantom candidate.

Felt. I heard Obama say that he wanted her to keep running or something to that effect. He's gonna lose BIG in W.Va, bigger than any previous loss to date. I'm saying like 30-40 pts.

Any thoughts on Obama's proposal to help Hillary out of campaign debt? Anyone?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    If Hillary would've had this sewn without Obama's "interference", then I'm sure some in her camp think he should pay her back for the money she had to drop just to compete.

Obviously her money problems are her own damn fault but... Obama should just drop that change like it's a small thing and keep it moving.

I think asking him to help pay off her debt is straight pimpery on one hand but on the other but it makes her look faulty as hell.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I don't get it, why would Obama pay Hillary's debt? Because he ran against her? If Hillary can't raise funds it's her own fault.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I was sorta under the impression she was going to drop out next Tuesday after she wins Kentucky and Obama takes Oregon, an everyone-wins scenario that can help to unite the party.

I am not totally opposed to Obama "forgiving" Clinton's campaign debt but she better slow her roll a little bit on the spending. It's like saying you'll buy a few drinks for your boy at the bar and he all of the sudden starts springing for Cristal.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    i think this has little if anything to do with money. bubba gives speaches at 200,000 grand a pop.

her chances are slim at best but the fact is, stranger things have happened. i say she will strive to move the goalpost as much as possible and make as compelling a case for herself as she can, like any good lawyer would. she is way to egotistical and driven to give up until she gets completely shut down.

i wonder what the odds are in vegas. let's say she has only a 1% chance of winning the nonimantion, i bet that would be enough for her to want to stay in.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think if she stays in the race but falls back on campaigning hard - especially negative attacks - then she can coast this out, still look good in the eyes of the DNC and electorate, get her debts "forgiven" and do this without harming Obama as he builds his new campaign.

I don't think she actually thinks she has a shot now. But how she exits, like everything else, is strategic. Look at how Romeny left - he didn't bow out. He "suspended" his campaign. (Read: waiting to see if there's a sex tape of McCain having three-way sex with Nancy Pelosi and a bisexual illegal immigrant).

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    (Read: waiting to see if there's a sex tape of McCain having three-way sex with Nancy Pelosi and a bisexual illegal immigrant).

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    (having three-way sex with Nancy Pelosi and a bisexual illegal immigrant).

location up!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I don't get it, why would Obama pay Hillary's debt? Because he ran against her? If Hillary can't raise funds it's her own fault.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I was wondering that too but the way the pundits talk about, it seems perfectly normal. Go figure.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rich people care about money. Really rich people care even more. She wants the money she loaned the campaign back. BUT, she will easily get it back when she runs for senate again, she will just ask her donors to pay off her presidential debit. She should know that Obama needs all the money he can get to fight the gop's attack on him. (Cue: rockadelic saying McCain would never attack anyone.) Maybe Obama pays her debit, and then she and Bill hold $100 a plate fundraisers for Obama from now until November so it's all even.

I don't think she wants VP, I don't think it would be a good ticket. All you all have heard my reasons many times. I don't think Obama will have a post for her that gives her more power (and that is what it is all about) than her position in the senate. Even as vp she would be less powerful than if she stayed in the senate. Bill on the other hand... I don't think he wants to work as hard as a Secretary of State or Attorneys General works, but I think he would relish the world stage that would come with Ambassador to the UN. Also a trade, or Mid East Peace, or other envoy type post.

Hillary is hoping to surpass Obama in the popular vote (I think her math excludes caucus states). She is now claiming that the superdelegates have to support the candidate that wins the popular vote. She is also telling superdelegates that she would be stronger at the top of ticket for congressional reps who are in republican leaning districts. So she is still fighting.

In other news, Salon.com is calling Obama the presumptive nominee.

In other news, a friend of my mom's who is a superdelegate and a person of influence and stature is going to endorse Obama soon. Three cheers for my mom who talked him out of endorsing Clinton back in January.

I think if she stays in the race but falls back on campaigning hard - especially negative attacks - then she can coast this out, still look good in the eyes of the DNC and electorate, get her debts "forgiven" and do this without harming Obama as he builds his new campaign.

I don't think she actually thinks she has a shot now. But how she exits, like everything else, is strategic. Look at how Romeny left - he didn't bow out. He "suspended" his campaign. (Read: waiting to see if there's a sex tape of McCain having three-way sex with Nancy Pelosi and a bisexual illegal immigrant).

I think it is possible, if Obama knocks McCain out before the republican convention, that they might nominate someone else. First McCain withdraws (to spend more time with his family). Then a preordained prince is crowned. When I suggested this before I said Jeb Bush or Alan Keys. Of course it wont be either of them, but will be someone dynamic and spotless.

obama isn't allowed to pay off her debt. he can ask his supporters to donate to a fund for her though, which is likely.

people are confused about the superdelegates. they haven't really been coming out on the dates that obama's camp reveals them, or even when they announce.

it is strategic when they announce new superdelegates. obama is probably sitting on a dozen or more. after he loses w va i'm sure he'll "announce" a few more.

obama isn't allowed to pay off her debt. he can ask his supporters to donate to a fund for her though, which is likely.

people are confused about the superdelegates. they haven't really been coming out on the dates that obama's camp reveals them, or even when they announce.

it is strategic when they announce new superdelegates. obama is probably sitting on a dozen or more. after he loses w va i'm sure he'll "announce" a few more.

Like Odub I have heard pundits talk about him paying off her debit. Like everyone else it sounds crazy to me. I sure don't want any dollars I gave to Obama to go to Clinton so it makes sense that it is against the rules.

Edwards was on the sunday morning news talk shows. I thought he was going to endorse Obama, but he didn't. He has about 18 delegates that he can pledge to the person he endorses.

• Did y'all see Meet The Press on Sunday?

Everybody's talking about that mouth-poodle Terry McAuliffe, how he made the big gaffe by assuming that Tim Russert's dad ("Big Russ") was dead and looking down from heaven. But Big Russ is not dead. You know, it wasn't really an awkward moment though - Tim Russert just kept on going to the next topic. You would have had to have been paying really close attention.

What was the really awkward moment?

At the very beginning of the show when Chris Dodd was introduced, he said "Thanks Tim, Happy Mothers Day."

Then an awkward 2-second silence with Russert shuffling papers with a deer-in-headlights look, as he considered whether or not to also say "Happy Mothers Day". But you know what, two dudes aren't supposed to say "Happy Mothers Day" to each other, they just don't. Chris Dodd should have made it clear that he was saying "Happy Mothers Day to everyone in America" but no, he said it directly to Russert. Tim Russert is no mother. AWK-WaaaaRD!

If you see me in the skreets, don't be telling me Happy Mothers Day.

This is not a beer gut, this is the gas tank for my sex machine.

Edwards was on the sunday morning news talk shows. I thought he was going to endorse Obama, but he didn't. He has about 18 delegates that he can pledge to the person he endorses.

clearly he is holding out to see if Hillary really does drop out.

what's up with "his" delegates though? these are the delegates that endorsed him before he dropped out? if so, why are they "his" to pledge? with his having dropped out, shouldn't those delegates become free agents, i.e. THEY should decide who they want to endorse?

what's up with "his" delegates though? these are the delegates that endorsed him before he dropped out? if so, why are they "his" to pledge? with his having dropped out, shouldn't those delegates become free agents, i.e. THEY should decide who they want to endorse?

I'm not sure. But the cnn graphic shows him with some delegates. Maybe he didn't drop out, just suspended.

I'm not sure. But the cnn graphic shows him with some delegates. Maybe he didn't drop out, just suspended.

I still don't understand how it is within his power to "assign" these delegates to a candidate other than himself, since he is the candidate these delegates actually pledged to support. School me.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    A candidate keeps the delegates they won legitimately during their run until they pledge them to someone else.

A candidate keeps the delegates they won legitimately during their run until they pledge them to someone else.

how lame. that's how I suspected it worked; I just don't see the fairness in that. I chose Edwards over Hillary and Obama, but that doesn't mean I trust Edwards to choose for me as between Hillary and Obama. that's a totally different calculation.

one positive outcome of the superdelegate mess (as well as the Gore popular vote victory in 2000) is that it reveals the serious flaws in the system, and may, over time, move people to want to actually reform the process.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    i think this has little if anything to do with money. bubba gives speaches at 200,000 grand a pop.

Still, isn't she in the whole for like $5 or $10 mil? Regardless of how much you have in the bank that still smarts.

not true, as far as my understanding.

edwards might have a vote as a superdelegate but he can't just pass off the delegates he won to obama or clinton. at the convention, the states can apportion his delegates however they want. i think if he were to win 15% of the vote or more, then he would keep his delegates.

edwards might have a vote as a superdelegate but he can't just pass off the delegates he won to obama or clinton. at the convention, the states can apportion his delegates however they want. i think if he were to win 15% of the vote or more, then he would keep his delegates.

http://www.mrsuper.org/2008/04/the-john-edward.html

John Edwards didn't end his presidential campaign on Jan. 30th - he suspended it.

A suspended campaign means that a candidate is out of the race, but that the campaign still holds on to its pledged delegates. So John Edwards holds 19 of his original 26 delegates. Some of his delegates were filtered when state conventions were selecting national convention delegates, leaving him with 19 - but that is still a significant block of delegates.

Because typically, though it's not a guarantee, once a former candidate makes an endorsement, the pledged delegates will follow as a block. The last time this happened was in 1992, when Paul Tsongas suspended his campaign and later transferred delegates to Bill Clinton - adding to his momentum and helping him convincingly defeat Jerry Brown in the primaries.

And because support has historically transfered as a block, and because Democratic primaries award delegates not on the basis of winner-take-all but rather on proportional allocation, it means the 19 delegates in the John Edwards Primary represent a larger haul than what can be expected to be won by at least one of the candidates in some of the upcoming primaries.

Thus, when compared to stand-alone elections, the "John Edwards Primary" is worth more than the Guam, West Virginia, Montana or South Dakota primaries.

Senator Edwards is not a Superdelegate himself, but he controls the largest pool of available delegates outside of a state election.

^^^ not accurate

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Hillary wants......

Rev. Wright II

A Ron Brown-like Plane Crash

More hard working white people

Vince Foster II

Everyone else to wake up and end this nightmare.

I think some truth there. Pledged delegates have made a pledge to vote a certain way. They may break that pledged. Same with supers who have declared or endorsed. Those pledges and endorsements are only meant to be binding for the first round of voting. At a contested convention (not likely to happen) they will switch and flip and flop.

Not voting for who you pledged or who you pledged to asked you to, would be a rare event.

can someone succinctly explain why states vote for a candidate only to have the votes cast for that candidate translate into a proportional number of delegates who then cast their own vote at the convention for the candidate who received the votes that allowed them to be seated at the convention in the first place, rather than the states voters' votes simply being tallied up and the candidate's being chosen on the basis of how many votes they received? there's no doubt some "safeguard" principle that this system is meant to enshrine; I'm just not clear on what it is. school me.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    can someone succinctly explain why states vote for a candidate only to have the votes cast for that candidate translate into a proportional number of delegates who then cast their own vote at the convention for the candidate who received the votes that allowed them to be seated at the convention in the first place, rather than the states voters' votes simply being tallied up and the candidate's being chosen on the basis of how many votes they received? there's no doubt some "safeguard" principle that this system is meant to enshrine; I'm just not clear on what it is. school me.

Representative Republic versus Democracy.