Songs that end too soon

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I was listening to "Stand" by Sly and the Family Stone the other day and the jam at the end just kills me. I've always wondered if they kept playing in the studio after the fade out and if there's a tape somewhere. The end of "Fire" by the Ohio Players is another one I love. Any others?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Land Of 1000 Dances" by the Young Rascals. Song just starts to cook when they decide to end it. I don't remember offhand whether it faded or stopped cold, but the point is, they should have milked it for a couple more minutes. Going from memory, I think the track is only a minute and a half as it is.

As far as "Stand!" goes, I was reading that Sly brought in a totally different set of musicians - not the Family Stone - and had them play that funk coda at the end. They spliced it in later. Evidently Sly was at a loss as far as an ending, and when the idea hit him, he wanted to do it right then, which probably explains why he used these ringers instead of the actual band.

• "kalimba song" by bobby caldwell

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    "Land Of 1000 Dances" by the Young Rascals. Song just starts to cook when they decide to end it. I don't remember offhand whether it faded or stopped cold, but the point is, they should have milked it for a couple more minutes. Going from memory, I think the track is only a minute and a half as it is.

The unfortunate thing about this is that I believe the Atlantic multi-tracks for The (Young) Rascals (specifically Atlantic, not what they did on Columbia) were destroyed in a warehouse fire, so all that exists are mono and stereo masters, and those I believe are safety copies.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    "brazilian rhyme" by Earth Wind and Fire. there is a Danny Krivit re-edit that makes it around 3:30 though , which is cool.

• James Reese "Let's go (It's summertime)"
    2:48 is too short...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

"Crazy Mama" (2:23) - J.J. Cale - he teases you with that slick slide guitar wah througout just begging for a drum break. Hell all of JJ's songs are short.

"Crazy Mama" (2:23) - J.J. Cale - he teases you with that slick slide guitar wah througout just begging for a drum break. Hell all of JJ's songs are short.

2:23 is standard length for a lot of songs. Not everybody was trying to jam like Coltrane.

On the other hand...when I first heard my 45 of Larry Saunders'"Where Did Peace Go," I was like: is that IT??

Great song, but it seems like there should have been more to it.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

2:23 is standard length for a lot of songs. Not everybody was trying to jam like Coltrane.

Yeah, but dude is a hot guitar player. I'm for one glad his songs are short, everyone that starts to listen to him gives this argument. He makes you crave for more.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Issac Hayes - Do Your Thing from Shaft....i need 7 more minutes of the Bar-Kays.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Freebird
    Stairway to Heaven
    In A Gadda Da Vida

Yeah, but dude is a hot guitar player. I'm for one glad his songs are short, everyone that starts to listen to him gives this argument. He makes you crave for more.

thats my argument for short songs in general

if you gotta make it long, you'd better have something to SAY, i dont want to hear you woodshedding till the cows come home

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

if you gotta make it long, you'd better have something to SAY, i dont want to hear you woodshedding till the cows come home

J.J. Cale - "Cocaine" (2:52) vs. Eric Clapton - "Cocaine" (3:41)
    J.J. Cale - "Call Me The Breeze" (2:36) vs. L. Skynard - "Call Me The Breeze" (4:33)
    J.J. Cale - "Travelin' Light" (2:53) vs. Eric Clapton "Travelin' Light" (4:17)

Just sayin, what this means I don't know, but it shows that you can do it short without all the fluff.

J.J. Cale - "Cocaine" (2:52) vs. Eric Clapton - "Cocaine" (3:41)
    J.J. Cale - "Call Me The Breeze" (2:36) vs. L. Skynard - "Call Me The Breeze" (4:33)
    J.J. Cale - "Travelin' Light" (2:53) vs. Eric Clapton "Travelin' Light" (4:17)

Just sayin, what this means I don't know, but it shows that you can do it short without all the fluff.

let me amplify your statement

War - "The World Is A Ghetto" 45 version vs. LP version

The single gets to the point, the elpee beats around the bush

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

let me amplify your statement

War - "The World Is A Ghetto" 45 version vs. LP version

The single gets to the point, the elpee beats around the bush

Ha, I remember wanting to start a thread about songs that
    you prefer in their shortened, edited versions - with the ultimate
    example being "Light My Fire" ... I never miss that 4 minutes of
    keyboard solo.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    This is a great thread:

There a lots of songs I wish went longer, but none moreso than:

Nina Simone - See-line woman

It clocks in at 2 mins something and could go for sooooo much longer.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Bob & Fred- I'll Be On My Way (1:54). Actually I'm OK with it but another verse wouldn't have killed anybody.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    Spanky Wilson - Sunshine of your Love

The jam at the end really offsets the dark brooding funk of the rest of the track but it just dies in the cocoon.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Spanky Wilson - Sunshine of your Love

The jam at the end really offsets the dark brooding funk of the rest of the track but it just dies in the cocoon.[/b]
    I really need to use that phrase in the real world.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Doctor Fine - Bob Seger System
    Lonely Teardrops - Ken Boothe
    Game of Love - Ike&Tina
    Back to Africa - Alton Ellis