What are the good raps?

Comments

• Options
    Rammellzee's verse on Beat-Bop

B/W

MF Grimm's verse on the "What A Nigga Know" Remix

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Been listening to that DJ Luuso disco rap mix in the mixes section quite a few times now. It has made me want to start a disco-rap band.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

On a whim, I threw Pharcyde's Labcabin on the other morning but I didn't make it through the whole first side before ejecting it.

This is an album that has not aged remotely well IMHO though I expect that's not really an omg statement on the strut.

This week I have been mostly listening to Mad Skillz From Where, that Playboy Tre mixtape and The Sick Wid It comp.

• Options
    Will people ever stop hatting on Labcabin?

I see no reason to

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    The Game- Documentary
    The Game- Doctor's Advocate
    The Game- LAX (not yet released)

YES.

LA TIMES IS GOING TO CHANGE THE GAME.

BRACE YOURSELVES.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Been listening to that DJ Luuso disco rap mix in the mixes section quite a few times now. It has made me want to start a disco-rap band.

What the heck is disco rap? Blondie?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    i been listening to that latest snoop
    the latest game album and some of the PUTS catalog

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    1) Any pre-1992 local seen compilation albums, like that Baltimore comp with the "Soldier Boy" sample

2) Anyone tried the Jack In The Box or Burger King wraps? I heard those were good.

Then again, it's Jack In The Box and Burger King.

GO TO ATOMIC FOODS AND BUY THOSE FRESHLY MADE TORTILLAS, IT'S FRIDAY GUNFUNNIT!

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Gulity Simpson Ni&*&

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

On a whim, I threw Pharcyde's Labcabin on the other morning but I didn't make it through the whole first side before ejecting it.

This is an album that has not aged remotely well IMHO though I expect that's not really an omg statement on the strut.

This week I have been mostly listening to Mad Skillz From Where

...but the Mad Skillz album has?

I like the Pharcyde album still, although I have always loathed their first release.

I like the Pharcyde album still, although I have always loathed their first release.

dude try to listen to it with an open mind (duuude...bro!).

no really, what I mean is try to mentally divorce the album from the type of people you associate with liking the album.

you might find that the production is actually really good.

Gulity Simpson Ni&*&

really? I wasn't real impressed with the single (the one with the video). I suppose with Dilla's beats the album can't be all bad, but rap-wise are you feeling this cat?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

You like boring ass Labcabin better than Bizarre Ride?

I've always liked certain songs off of Labcabin, but it's like laughter devoid of vocal tones in comparison to Bizarre Ride.

You like boring ass Labcabin better than Bizarre Ride?

I've always liked certain songs off of Labcabin, but it's like laughter devoid of vocal tones in comparison to Bizarre Ride.

I think I like three or four songs off Labcabin..., although it's been a long time since I've had it out. I like zero songs off of Bizarre Ride....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

they're all good, but I consider this his best album.

I like zero songs off of Bizarre Ride....

JADED OF THE YEAR.

JADED OF THE YEAR.

Never liked it.

Try again.

JADED OF THE YEAR.

Never liked it.

Try again.

Whatcha been listening to then?

This week I have been mostly listening to Mad Skillz From Where

...but the Mad Skillz album has?

Skillz will always sound fresh in my mind garden. Plus it's, like, rare and everything. Put it down to liking the dated sound of From Where more than the dated sound of Labcabin.

I just find Labcabin lacks in anything approaching interest. I wake up briefly when Runnin' plays but apart from that it all just blurs into the background.

• I like zero songs off of Bizarre Ride....

JADED OF THE YEAR.

Never liked it.

Try again.

do you even party?

JADED OF THE YEAR.

Never liked it.

Try again.

do you even party?

Not like that.

• Faux, that's CRAZY.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Getting steady bump recently:

X-Clan--Xodus
    Low Profile
    Big Daddy Kane--It's a Big Daddy Thing
    King Sun--Righteous but Ruthless

Also, I've been on a pretty big MC Ren kick, so I've been playing his solo/featuring shots from Straight Outta Compton and Eazy Duz It a lot ("Ruthless Villain," "If It Ain't Ruff," etc.)--dude was so freaking nice with it.

• Faux, that's CRAZY.

I dunno though, I guess there is a lot of "whimsy" on that first Pharcyde. If you have a low tolerance for marijuana hijinks....

But shit, you don't even like "Passin me By"??

Faux, that's CRAZY.

It's not that crazy. This is a guy who admitted to never having heard MF Doom's Doomsday either. He associates certain albums with a certain group of listeners and it clouds his judgment.

Faux, that's CRAZY.

It's not that crazy. This is a guy who admitted to never having heard MF Doom's Doomsday either. He associates certain albums with a certain group of listeners and it clouds his judgment.

Dude, that's all you--I've don't think I've ever said anything about who I associate either of those albums with. You're the one that apparently associates them with somebody. I just think the Pharcyde record is annoyingly corny. But if it brings you back to the formative keggers of your youth then, by all means, don't let me deny you the pleasure.

Faux, that's CRAZY.

Dude, that's all you--I've don't think I've ever said anything about who I associate either of those albums with. You're the one that apparently associates them with somebody. I just think the Pharcyde record is annoyingly corny. But if it brings you back to the formative keggers of your youth then, by all means, don't let me deny you the pleasure.

nah man I am refering specifcally to your admission in the space rap thread (or whatever) that you never checked for Doom's album because you associated it with those other corny space rap albums (e.g. Deltron, various Kool Kieth projects, etc.). the album is good. and let's not get all ashurt; I PROMISE next time I throw a kegger you will get an invite. matter of fact I may throw a party for the release of Game's next tape; can I borrow your tap?

Yeah, but what are you listening to lately that you consider as good?