Best (tightest) concert you've ever seen

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I heard the Dixie Dregs this morning on XM and it reminded me how frigging tight these guys were. I saw them a few times back in the late 70's and each time they blew me away with their virtuosity. One was a New Years show in Atlanta with Sea Level that was amazing and another was a show at Town Hall in NYC with Roy Buchanan that had at least 30 guitar players slack jawed at the front of the stage. The only other show I can compare them to was John McLaughlin in 1981 or so. Made me want to quit playing guitar on the spot.What's the tightest (not necessarily the funkiest) but the most technically amazing show you've seen?

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The Stray Cats in the early 90s has to be close. Simply telekinetic, and Setzer's guitar playing is pretty no matter what.

• Options
    Public Enemy at The Middle East in 2004. It was a unannounced show they did after a festival at Great Woods. Got to meet Chuck and Flav. Flav did a solo set and aked the srowd what they wanted to hear and drunkenly I screamed from the side stage "Too Much Posse"!!! he looked at me and said "You want Too Much Posse...Alright then!" and proceeded to kill that shit perfectly. Flav also ordered take-out on stage, a "Hawaiian" style cheesburger which I never heard of until then. The S1W's and Griff were in full force. Anyone else go to this?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    The Ex's mid-90s line-up.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The Ruins

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Johnny Winter at the Beacon theater, 1983. Front row, arms on the stage, 4 hours.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I'll put Fugazi in there as well. They could stop on a dime and then explode just as suddenly.

• Jesus Lizard is the first group that springs to mind.
    Amazing seeing such a tight band with such an unhinged vocalist.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sade, Concord Pavillion 2001

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Fat Freddies Drop 2 years ago in Nuremberg. So frickin' impressive.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I'll put Fugazi in there as well. They could stop on a dime and then explode just as suddenly.

Yeah, I was never into Fugazi, but the one show I saw at Fort Reno years ago was nothing if not tight.

Yeah, I was never into Fugazi, but the one show I saw at Fort Reno years ago was nothing if not tight.

Definitely agreed, they were always tight, although to give ups to the Ex again, Fugazi patterned their live shows after 'em, especially in both bands' penchant for playing w/o set lists, and having 100+ song repertoires that they could all kick into instantly as soon as one member started a song.

• STEVIE

• Yeah Stevie was tight...not sure if it was the best concert I have ever seen. Saw him this fall in AC.

Split:

Rancid - Trocadero, Philadelphia 1996 or 1997
    NIN - Spectrum 2005
    Gregory Isaacs KILLED it 2 weeks ago - Trocadero, Philadelphia

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Sharon Jones and the Dapkings @ the Henry Fonda.

I'm sure Guzzo can co-sign for me on the tightness of this show. Well worth the drive to California.

also

Acid mothers temple @ my friends living room.

Craziest show I've ever been to, Makoto Kawabata facemelt 2 feet from me.

- spidey

• Blonde Redhead, Spring of 2004.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Drive Like Jehu
    Sly&Robbie
    Shinehead
    Boot Camp Clik

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    BB King's revue...
    Skatalites
    a third for Fugazi
    electric Masada
    every time I've seen Sharon Jones as well.

I wonder, though, with bands like the Dap Kings, BB Kings band, Masada, the JB's - while they are undeniably tight, their sets are all extremely well orchestrated and "conducted" by the band leader. A band like Fugazi seemed perhaps a bit more communal in their "orchestration," if that makes any sense.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Stevie Wonder - August 2007. Beautiful show and Stevie had such a positive vibe. You could tell he was truly happy to be out playing live again after a number of years. He was also a VERY cool and gracious person.

Other great live bands/shows would be:

Earth, Wind and Fire

Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains - Saw them all MANY times before they blew up and became huge groups. They always put on great shows.

Sade and her band were always tight

All the punk shows I saw in the 80s - Bad Brains, G.B.H., Poison Idea, The Accused, UK Subs, Raw Power, D.R.I., Circle Jerks, Youth Brigade, etc......

Don't EVEN get me started on 80s metal shows. THAT would need to be a whole different thread.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    These 3 were the best hip-hop shows I'd been to;

KRS ONE in 1999, Justice League SF - celebrated his catalog, most of it was still strong @ this point
    Gang Starr in 1999, Maritime Hall SF - amazing seeing Primo in fine form doing all the cuts
    Freestyle Fellowship in 2000, Justice League SF - As a fan of all their ish, it was good to see them do most of Inner City Griots and some of 2 Whom It My Concern....

b

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    herbie hancock - 2004 in Madison, WI at the overture or something.really good sounding venue, herbie was and the rest of the band were firing on all cylanders, at the end of the show ,, herbie picks up the mic and says u kno we take request?! someone yells Chameleon and he proceed to go into it and had one of the coolest acousitc piano solos ive ever been blessed enuff to c

b.b. king - this past february, got a ticket for my birthday and went and he still
    is playin amazingly , and what a ladies man taboot!

the sound of miles davis- jimmy cobb and one or two others from the kind of blue band were present and they opened with the A side first track and second set , the B's first track, Jimmy Cobb let loose this DOpeass drum solo, WOW

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    jungle brothers at graceland, vancouver bc, 1996 maybe?

that show or sharon jones at first ave last november......

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Actually, best concert I been to was

Maceo Parker at the Blue Note Tokyo....

so Frickin' funky...

others that come to mind...

The Boredoms, Dc's Black Cat, also circa '96
    Tim Berne's Bloodcount at Bmore's 14-Karat Cabaret circa '98
    a little-known avant-jazz outfit known as Baldheaded Stepchildren, Knitting Factory circa '97
    Arab on Radar -- ironic for such an eventually "loose" band, but their early shows at Bmore's Ottobar, line-up w/ female bassist were extremely tight.

• binky griptite and the deekay's a few years back was probably my favorite, maybe slightly stoopid way back too, i was big into them at the time

• June 30, 2006 - Yusef Lateef & Belmondo

This was amazing for me for the simple fact that I will most likely never get the chance to see him in concert again. He put on a powerful & deeply moving show for a man who was 85 yrs old at the time.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I would love to see Yusef Lateef, amongst many other legends whose days are numbered.

Best concert I ever seen has got to be a tie between Nomo at Bottom of the Hill this past summer and Rage Against The Machine.

I wish I saw Stevie. I wish I actually made the trip to Vegas to see James Brown a few years back.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    i know a few people on here will hate on this (dont give a fuck tho)

BUT

dj krush (all 7 times ive beared witness too)

and

the OBEY show at SXSW (flying lotus, nosaj thing, gaslamp killer)

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I wat concerst for almots 20 years now, and the best concert in my whole live was by

Osaka Monaurail

Never ever have I seen so much power and fun and energy in one concert !!!!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

Osaka Monaurail

i guess i can confirm that

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Rap:[/b] any De La show...i've never have a bad time at one and i always leave in good spirits

Non-Rap:[/b] Bold reunion show, or any Champion show i went to