dumb n bass backapcker sht @ at Goodwill? poopoo

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
There was all these 12" singles that I didn't know. I don't know about your area, butt usually in RVA that's gonna be some private dirty south shit or homemade disco reel to reel edits or even some homo house shit--that's, at least, funny. Never this shit, son.I was supposed to be going to the grocery store, but I stopped by real quick. I rolled the dice on about twenty random shits. Vomit $20 down the drain it's all so terrible. Drum n Bass and Backpacker Rap. Ugh. This shit's turning up at thrifts now? Fuck I'm in trouble. I should have just minted up my Gist of the Gemini.My rule has been that most things I do not know are worth a gamble. Now that drum n bass and backpacker (two worst genres evar?) krap is turning up at Goodwill, I'm fucked. I skipped those two genres entirely. Seriously. I can't name one drum n' bass person. Butcept that dude who got arrested in Qatar or whatever. Grooverapist?I'm starting to feel like I should step off the game. Let yungins have it.

Comments

• darkdark 52 Posts
    How many records did you get for $20?

• To you what constitutes backpacker rap?

b/w

I think the only rap I've seen you talk about was "Things Fall Apart".

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    You are saying that the shit you bought looked 'promising'? No way.

I have never seen a drum and bass record that made me think

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Speaking of drum & bass does anyone care about acetates/dubplates of that stuff? I kinda doubt that those DJs are really checking eBay these days so I'm hesitant to just throw it up.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    What's wrong with drum n bass? I like T-Power.

• Butcept

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    You are saying that the shit you bought looked 'promising'? No way.

I have never seen a drum and bass record that made me think

Seriously. If you were sprung off those goofy labels its time to hang it up, oldster.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Haha, I just found some pretty serious techno records at the Goodwill in Austin... old Steve Rachmad and Outland records, the first thing on Chris Sattinger's label, and this one, which I've been wanting for a while:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

My rule has been that most things I do not know are worth a gamble. Now that drum n bass and backpacker (two worst genres evar?) krap is turning up at Goodwill, I'm fucked. I skipped those two genres entirely. Seriously. I can't name one drum n' bass person. Butcept that dude who got arrested in Qatar or whatever. Grooverapist?

I'm starting to feel like I should step off the game. Let yungins have it.

Names and dates please.

If it's '93 - '96 I'd check any release by any artist.

There are a few releases by a few artists in the '97-'00 period I'd buy, but that period was the 'dark ages', when wobble and melodrama had turned music that used to have strong reggae influences and/or interesting drum programming over dreamy ambience into the dance music equivalent of formulaic heavy metal. The only really obvious release of this era was Ronnie Size's jazz-flavoured Reprezents live act. F*ckin' awesome, I'm sure even you Fatback, would've appreciated seeing that in the flesh.

'01 - '08 There's about one or two releases per year that I've bothered with, and they'll be easy enough to track down anyway.

Speaking of drum & bass does anyone care about acetates/dubplates of that stuff? I kinda doubt that those DJs are really checking eBay these days so I'm hesitant to just throw it up.

Depends on what the releases are. Let me know and I might be able to advise.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i've been selling off a drum and bass/jungle collection and it moves quite well on ebay
    the scene is "underground",strong and broader than you might think
    lots of dudes/dudettes all over america and the rest of the globe want them uk choons from the 90s

if you have an open mind and take the time to research and listen you will be able to discern the wheat from the chaff
    you will find some cool tunes and prehaps profit

sadly predictable how an entire genre that was midwifed by hip hop and reggae is dismissed as "dumb" and "poo poo"
    but then again this is soulstrut where constricted little dudes with small imaginations are the norm and not the exception.

like any genre some titles go for loot
    and some tracks are great
    but you have to know it

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    All genres of music have gems. You don???t know the gems of the genres you speak of.

........literally.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    To you what constitutes backpacker rap?

b/w

Dr. Octagon, Maskpek (sp), Fort Minor, Ninja Tune. Anything that's guaranteed to clear the floor. Boring jumbled up 'rhymes' with experimental braeks. Rap that drumb and base people like. Teabag rap.

b/w

This is first last time I've read something you posted.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

another soulstrut drum&bass thread

hilarity guaranteed.

I don??t like d&b as I used to, but there have been more than enough quality releases throughout the years and it??s still rather popular, at least over here.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    All genres of music have gems. You don???t know the gems of the genres you speak of.

........literally.

I did get sonned. But most of what I bought were whitelables. They were also among some decent dancehall. Anyways, these were probably your records. I will pay you not to take these to the Goodwill next time. Call me.

Any names in the run-out grooves to give some idea?

Sh*t, if you gave them a listen, could you identify which era they're from?

I don't know why, but I'm interested to know what you turned up in a Goodwill, and the fact that they were in with some dancehall suggests they might be the 'good' stuff.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I've seen this happen before.. I think P***9 tends to spread leftovers from collections around at various thrifts. A lot of time the stuff still has their $1.00 stickers on it, which is really NAGL when the thrift wants 2 bucks a record...

• Speaking of drum & bass does anyone care about acetates/dubplates of that stuff? I kinda doubt that those DJs are really checking eBay these days so I'm hesitant to just throw it up.

really only if the tune was never released. or if the artist lost the DAT and it is only available on dubplate.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Drum n Bass and Backpacker Rap. Ugh. This shit's turning up at thrifts now?

Late 90s/early 00s Sandbox rap = the new Goodwill staple

Yeshuah DapoEd 12"s = the new Firestone Christmas LPs

Seriously

• To you what constitutes backpacker rap?

b/w

Dr. Octagon, Maskpek (sp), Fort Minor, Ninja Tune. Anything that's guaranteed to clear the floor. Boring jumbled up 'rhymes' with experimental braeks. Rap that drumb and base people like. Teabag rap.

b/w

This is first last time I've read something you posted.

some of that type of schitt goes for loot.

i'm feeling how you're now an authority on what rap does and doesn't "clear the dance floor".

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Some kid just came into the store asking for drum and bass records.
    Fatback, can I stall him til you get up here from Richmond?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

this is great.

I actually did hear some pretty hot drum & bass stuff that Quantic played in a DJ mix , it was more of a remix of a 70s track with a drum and bass pattern underneath though. Like any genre, you just have to know the good shit , but with a lot of the electronic releases it can be harder to know or to "guess" whether something is good, especially when it is a 12" single with no picture cover. I suppose the same could be said about old 45s though , you just have to learn the important names and not forget em.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

this is great.

I actually did hear some pretty hot drum & bass stuff that Quantic played in a DJ mix , it was more of a remix of a 70s track with a drum and bass pattern underneath though. Like any genre, you just have to know the good shit , but with a lot of the electronic releases it can be harder to know or to "guess" whether something is good, especially when it is a 12" single with no picture cover. I suppose the same could be said about old 45s though , you just have to learn the important names and not forget em.

there is still some quality D&B out there, but no so much like it used to be in the 90's. Most of the new stuff is way to hard for my taste. I'm always checking new releaes by Calibre, Shy FX qnd Drummagick. They always bring the

Have you heard a live DJ set by quantic or a mp3 mix? I'm a sucker for quantic mixes and I would love to hear a new one.