Scratch Record Recommendations?

thedailyhustlethedailyhustle 151 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Im just now beginning to get into scratch techniques and was wondering if anyone can recommend me some good scratch/dj tool records? Im looking for those records pressed specifically for djs with samples etc to work on scratches.

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    just get super duck breaks. It's got cool beats and enough "ahhhhhhhss" that you can burn a hole in one and move right onto the next one.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There's a gang of "Scratch" records out there but why not try scratchin what's in your collection already and develop your own language.

U could ape the hundreds of traditional scratch-friendly records, but the OG idea was to find your own shit.

Plaese to get past D.S.T.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the mr. dibbs unearthed series are by far the best most unique scratch records.

• There's a gang of "Scratch" records out there but why not try scratchin what's in your collection already and develop your own language.

U could ape the hundreds of traditional scratch-friendly records, but the OG idea was to find your own shit.

i hear what youre saying, and i have been praticing cutting mainly hip hop acappellas but want to try my hand at the ahhhh. What record did that originally come from ?

the mr. dibbs unearthed series are by far the best most unique scratch records.

My ex said u be scratchin her back real good.

And you ignore her in the club.

• i've got super duck breaks and it's pretty good, would recommend it. I've got a few things down but like mentioned just the generic AW-AW-YEAH scratches and all the popular ones. What are some ways of learning new shit? Would never look at a youtube video or anything ... yet I would ask the strut.

peace

There's a gang of "Scratch" records out there but why not try scratchin what's in your collection already and develop your own language.

i hear what youre saying, and i have been praticing cutting mainly hip hop acappellas but want to try my hand at the ahhhh. What record did that originally come from ?

This Stuff is ReeealllY Fresssshh........

Fabulous Five Freddie's - Change The Beat.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    "can you say wembly? i like the way you play your bass...the faces you make when you play the bass"

well haha, i can see you're easily amused

p.s.

get any of the early dirt style joints. i was raised on the bionicbooger/backsliding/battle/heehaw quadfectra.

But truthfully I wouldnt suggest finding an OG copy of that to practice on.

That last line of the record has been cloned on so many records u can use those to practice.

Seriously, its cool to learn the 101's of scratchin, but I really think starting from a different reference point would be more enlightening for your yourself as well as stretching the boundaries of the artform.

Start w/a Barbara Streisand rekkid....

• Start w/a Barbara Streisand rekkid....

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i remember back in the early 00's, seeing the cover for STD Breaks, while flipping through the record section at newbury comics. it was a pretty graphic disgusting cover. how was the material?

gotta love/hate that cover don't ya jaymack?

i celebrate the entire dirt style collection.

also, the needle thrashers [early skratch piklz] series was really good too.

needle thrashers wasn't one of those unskippable records that came out in like '01-02

it was a 2 part series that came out in like '98. it had "Freaky Tales", "Down Here on the Ground", "Strong Island", "Fly Girls", ect...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    A-Trak - Gangsta Breaks & Monkey Breaks

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    And you ignore her in the club.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    [i]"can you say wembly? i like the way you play your bass...the faces you make
    get any of the early dirt style joints. i was raised on the bionicbooger/backsliding/battle/heehaw quadfectra.

This man speaks truth. Like Batmon said, it's gonna have tons of shit your hear scratched everyday, however, it will give you more than enough sounds to start practicing the finer points of cutting. Enjoy...

yeah i thought you were talking about the whole record. most all those dirt styles had the last track locked.

please to not forget about Paul Nice's 5 Fingerz of Death. some amazing beats were cut on those.

and another great one was Gamblin Pete's Million Dollar Blackjack Breaks, really overlooked too.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    ANY DIRTSTYLE SHIT IS THE BEST

YEAH JUST BECAUSE

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    hee haw breaks is the best for scratching samples

Ohhh my...he's on fire!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    hee haw breaks is the best for scratching samples

Though I hardly ever scratch anymore, when I do this is what I go for.