De La Is Dead (skits, add to or ruin related)

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Do the skits on De La Is Dead contribute to the overall appeal of the album or do they get in the way of the "real songs"? This includes the piano jam, the house jam, the who do you worship type jams too, not just the "hampster penis" dialogue. Discuss...I am down for the whole album. I've listened to it so much that the skits, even some of the jarring moments feel right at home. I can see some people thinking they get in the way of the "rapp jams." When I first bought it I remember being slightly annoyed by it and thinking it was too long with a bunch of unnecessary things. It definitely grew on me.

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Add to it -- a rarity, I'd say.

"BK Lounge" is one of my favorite tunes on the record.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    "Lingering, I can tell, she's the BK madmoiselle." (sp)

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Add to it, definitely. They help further define the character of the album. That said, I typically skip them these days.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Cosine on the above. Pos' verse especially.

the piano bar one is a bit long. I will hit skip on that. but in general I'm in the "add to it" camp.

Slightly off topic: I have a vinyl copy of DLSID that is missing a few cuts, including (I think) Afro Connections at Hi 5. Are all the pressings like that? I would have kicked the piano bar skit to the curb to make room on that singly vinyl for "ACAH5".

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    the casette, cd, and vinyl all have different track listings I believe. Vinyl and casette might be the same. It must be due to length restraints. I think the casette doesn't have the piano bar skit. I remember playing the cd in the car and a friend saying "woah, what's this song. It's not on the casette."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    the casette, cd, and vinyl all have different track listings I believe. Vinyl and casette might be the same. It must be due to length restraints. I think the casette doesn't have the piano bar skit. I remember playing the cd in the car and a friend saying "woah, what's this song. It's not on the casette."

"My Brother's a Basehead" wasn't on the cassette, either. I'm pretty sure it was a length-related issue (ayo?).

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Add to it -- a rarity, I'd say.

maybe if they were to flip it on 45 so i could dance to it...

---

addition...

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Oh, I gotta rep for "I got the biddox, let's do dis like Brutus!" too.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The cassette and normal vinyl copies of the album have fewer songs than the CD or double-vinyl promo.

Personally, I didn't miss the extra songs from the CD even though I liked how they produced "My Brother Is a Basehead." I thought the way the cassette had everything plotted was very solid and I didn't feel the need to FF through the skits.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    add.

• add to it though as far as skits go i'd put the goats 'tricks of the shade' in the number 1 spot. i actually liked those skits that much i made a mix of em all with none of the tracks in between...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah I only knew the vinyl version of the album for years and was taken aback when I heard the CD version with all the extra skits etc.

Maybe it's just because I played the vinyl version to death but I personally much prefer the tighter more coherent tracklisting over the bloated CD.

• igboigbo 44 Posts
    "that's it? that's all? Van Damme! where are the pimps? where are the guns? where the curse words?"

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    def ride for the cassette [which was played this morning on my way to work] and the LP because it doesn't have the piano bar and basehead skits, which i personally don't like.

however, i do enjoy "kicked-out-tha-house..." which they are missing as well.

so,
    - piano bar
    - basehead

those suck....the rest win!

"i was in picadilly circus, and i seen this thing! was it a UFO? i ran and i ran, and i turned around...AHHHHH!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    JONNNY! YOU GOT A BULLET IN YOUR FOREHEAD BOY!

OOOWWWAAAWOOOOWAAAAH!

b/w

THIS IS SQUIRREL

add. Nothing sucks.

• I thought the way the cassette had everything plotted was very solid

naw
    i recently noticed, after getting a cassette copy for the car (after listening to the CD since it came out) that on the cassette there's that one skit where he says "and that jam Who do U Worship- what are they SAYing," whereas the Worship song didn't even make the cassette version

anyway, i love the skits on there, especially the d*cksnot/b*ttcrust ones.

• Options
    What is the crazy voice part in Who Do You Worship saying?

Like the loud scream at the end of every part? Does anyone know?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    the skits made that album for me

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    JONNNY! YOU GOT A BULLET IN YOUR FOREHEAD BOY!

OOOWWWAAAWOOOOWAAAAH!

b/w

THIS IS SQUIRREL

add. Nothing sucks.

EXACTLY.