Movie late pass: Zodiac

2»

Comments

• There was one other scene added back in as well. Quoth DVD Talk:

The director's cut (an ironic appellation considering Fincher's contract provided him with final cut) included here is 162 minutes long, four minutes longer than the 158-minute theatrical cut, which is not a part of this two-disc set. The restored scenes are brief, but necessary reinstatements: A roughly two-minute "blackout" sequence that illustrates the passage of time with soundbites from radio news stories of the era (the original idea - using musical cues - must've proven too costly) and a scene of Toschi, Armstrong and Captain Lee (Dermot Mulroney) negotiating a search warrant for Arthur Leigh Allen's trailer are now once again part of the narrative. The film's overall flow isn't radically altered from the theatrical cut and arguably, these new segments are so minor, one wonders why they were ever trimmed at all.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    , locals in Presidio wouldnt let them film the movie there so they built the whole Washington/Cherry area in a lot in LA

That's impressive. Fincher's attention to local detail was something I loved. As Rootless noted - digitally reinserting the Embarcadero freeway (even if the city looks better without it now) or show the Transamerica Tower going up as a way to show the flow of time.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I loved this movie. Saw it twice in the theater and just bought the DVD not long ago and watched it again. I agree that it was like a 2nd movie in the 2nd half but I still enjoyed it. I loved all the old shots of SF.

Years ago a friend of mine in Benicia took me on a Zodiac tour of the area. Now that shit was creepy.

• , locals in Presidio wouldnt let them film the movie there so they built the whole Washington/Cherry area in a lot in LA

if this is true then their attention to detail is even better than you know: both the friends I saw it with (SF natives) swear they actually saw our homegirl Gina's house in the background. she lives on that corner in a house built around the turn of the century. so yeah, if they re-created that intersection then they really made sure to do it house-by-house. pretty fresh.

• ^^^ yeah, no BS. Theres actual clips of them constructing it...

another great piece on the extras is going into detail on the 2 cops who passed Zodiac in their patrol car just after the Paul Stine's murder. Even has one of the guys interviewed in it. Quite amazing how second rate some of the police work in this case was when you dig depper into it

• did they rebuild the block where the sf chronicle is on too? ive never seen it look that clean.

• did they rebuild the block where the sf chronicle is on too? ive never seen it look that clean.

no that's on location as far as I can tell. that building dates from the 50's at least. they just hosed it down and kicked the homeless off the street I imagine.

• ha!

this one time i was driving thru downtown LA and on like 6th and spring they tried to make it look like sf complete with fake bart and muni signs except the street signs were something like hyde and mason or something that didnt even cross.

ha!

this one time i was driving thru downtown LA and on like 6th and spring they tried to make it look like sf complete with fake bart and muni signs except the street signs were something like hyde and mason or something that didnt even cross.

Ha, so typical.

There should be a list of "movies that supposedly take place in cities that don't actually look like how they're represented."

"Eyes Wide Shut" for example.

• you know he shot pretty most his movies on a stage in england somewheres.

anyways, its hot as fuck here today. must be like 85.

you know he shot pretty most his movies on a stage in england somewheres.

Yeah, I know, that's what I'm saying. It's supposed to be NY but...

• ha!

This is not related to Zodiac, but to fake movie stuff in SF. For The Pursuit Of Happiness (will smith movie) there is a scene where Smith jumps out of a taxi and runs across a field of grass and ducks down into a BART station. That sheeit does not exist. The set was right around the corner from Groove Merchant and they built a fake BART entrance in a dog park (duboce). I lived near there and thought it was funny, especially since it really played a minor role in a pretty much unnecessary scene. It's crazy to see how much money they'll put into something that gets like 5 seconds of air time.

ha!

This is not related to Zodiac, but to fake movie stuff in SF. For The Pursuit Of Happiness (will smith movie) there is a scene where Smith jumps out of a taxi and runs across a field of grass and ducks down into a BART station. That sheeit does not exist. The set was right around the corner from Groove Merchant and they built a fake BART entrance in a dog park (duboce). I lived near there and thought it was funny, especially since it really played a minor role in a pretty much unnecessary scene. It's crazy to see how much money they'll put into something that gets like 5 seconds of air time.

Oh snap - so THAT'S what film it was used for. I saw that fake BART stop and was thinking, "WTF?" and was trying to figure out what movie it would end up in. That's funny as hell.

May I just note: 43 posts into a thread about the Bay Area and this still hasn't hijacked into a food thread.

A Soul Strut first?

• from imdb
    Chlo?? Sevigny's character orders penne ala vodka, but that dish wasn't invented until the mid-70s and wouldn't have made its way to an inexpensive San Francisco restaurant until much later.

from imdb
    Chlo?? Sevigny's character orders penne ala vodka, but that dish wasn't invented until the mid-70s and wouldn't have made its way to an inexpensive San Francisco restaurant until much later.

Maaaaan, since you went there: penne ala vodka at Spiazzo in West Portal.

my favorite US/Hollywood film of 2007, and definitely in my top 5 films for the year. Best screenplay, acting, and atmospheric cinematography I saw from a US film in 07.

Sent me scurrying after the two Graysmith books on the Zodiac Killer... I was obsessed w/ this case for a month or so following the film.

Bought the dir's cut DVD but haven't viewed it yet.

Question: in the first Zodiac book, did Graysmith call out Allen as the main suspect? I'm just curious since the book came out in 86 and Allen didn't die until 1992. Which also raises the question: why wasn't Allen's photo shown to the one survivor until 1991?

• ha!

You serious? I'll have to check that out. (found this http://zembla.cementhorizon.com/archives/004423.html). and this http://extrasuperfantastic.blogspot.com/2005_09_01_debblogarchive.html

They just filmed a scene from Milk over there. I didn't see it but they had some flyers up.

ha!

You serious? I'll have to check that out. (found this http://zembla.cementhorizon.com/archives/004423.html). and this http://extrasuperfantastic.blogspot.com/2005_09_01_debblogarchive.html

They just filmed a scene from Milk over there. I didn't see it but they had some flyers up.

It was up there for at least a few weeks (I know this since I would take my daughter to the Duboce Playground there at least once a week while sneaking a quick trip to the GM at the same time. It was hella surreal.

• my favorite US/Hollywood film of 2007, and definitely in my top 5 films for the year. Best screenplay, acting, and atmospheric cinematography I saw from a US film in 07.

Sent me scurrying after the two Graysmith books on the Zodiac Killer... I was obsessed w/ this case for a month or so following the film.

Bought the dir's cut DVD but haven't viewed it yet.

Question: in the first Zodiac book, did Graysmith call out Allen as the main suspect? I'm just curious since the book came out in 86 and Allen didn't die until 1992. Which also raises the question: why wasn't Allen's photo shown to the one survivor until 1991?

Mike Mageau did a runner after he got out of hospital in 69. They didnt catch up with him until the early 90s.

I've always been suspicious of that Don Cheney guy. In an interview on the extras about Leigh Allen being ruled out due to DNA evidence off a stamp from one of the letters Cheney says he actually used to lick stamps for Leigh Allen!!! so it could have been his DNA. When this is put to detectives that worked they case they looked very surprised saying they knew nothing of this

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    To get back to the movie. I still liked the 2nd half. I think when he went over to the old movie guy's house was creepy as hell. When he went to the dinner with the detective and laid out the parallels between Lee's life and the Zodiac letters and victims gave me a chill as well. Not as good as the first half, but still kept me into it.

I wanted to add: the way the film opens, with that aerial pan of the Bay Area and Three Dog Night playing was stunning.

Fincher knows how to use music well - see the Pixies and "Fight Club."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    you know he shot pretty most his movies on a stage in england somewheres.

Yeah, I know, that's what I'm saying. It's supposed to be NY but...

Shooting London for NY was kind of the point though. He's wanted to create a surreal version of NYC...

Re: Zodiac -- I was actually reading this review earlier today: http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/review/3908/ -- the reviewer brings up some interesting points about the theme of masculinity throughout Fincher's work.
    I gotta say, I enjoyed the film, one of the best of 2007 for sure.

Hey W - Hope you're good.

Sight and Sound is a great mag. Good review - thanks for posting it!